SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Help me choose which dining room chandelier !

Tell me what you think! I have narrowed down my choices for my chandelier. I literally started with 50 choices that I liked, we laid them down on the dining room table and walked around eliminating last weekend, and these are the finalists. All of these are in bronze, or bronze/gold colors. We will be painting and adding molding, etc., after we finish choosing permanent items for the room.

One issue is width:

According to formulas I have found here: based on room size, it should be about 25 inches. Based on the formula of table size it should be 30".

(room is 13 long by 12 wide = 25) (2/3s width of 45" table is 30")..

So everything I am considering is between those 2 sizes. Current ghastly colonial builderÂs fixture (shown in the room photo) , always looked way too small for the room at 22". So I am thinking that even 25 might still be too small. The prospective fixture that is my favorite, however, is almost 30". Will that be too big for the room?

Here is something I set up to show scale. Not sure how well it will show up here. I have put two wood dowels into the arms of the old chandelier. Each has hanging tabs of masking tape at the ends to indicate width. The tab is all the way at the end on the left side, and a few inches in on the right. The lower dowel is 25 ½, representing the smallest chandelier, and the upper is 29 ¼, representing the widest.

The vertical yellow thing you see sticking up? ThatÂs a tape measure, extended to show where the bottom of the new chandelier will be. The old one is hiked up to allow moving the furniture.

Looking at these for scale, IS the longer 29 ¼ one too wide?

Here are my choices:

Favorite stylisticallyÂbut the width is 29 ¼ .

Another choice: still 29. Color is described as "silvery gold" whatever that means.

Two narrower ones: this one is 26. This is my second favoriteÂbut I wonder if it is too bulky/klunky. ItÂs also a lot more expensive than the others.

This one is 25 ½.

Thanks!

Comments (14)