SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clueless_gw

Help me make this Before into an After (pics living room)

clueless
12 years ago

We rent this house. The living room is 20' x 13.5'. I can change the paint color of the walls, but cannot paint the woodwork or the paneling. The floor is Brazilian cherry.

I am planning to buy a sofa, 2-3 upholstered armchairs, end tables, a coffee table, curtains, a console (sofa table), a tv stand, and 2 rugs (8 x 10 and a smaller one for the black desk. The only furniture that we are keeping is the black desk. The dog crate will be moved to another room. I will worry about how to accessorize, and with what, later.

Here is the room as it is now.

Front door on the right; entrance to dining room on left.

{{gwi:1618746}}

Living room from the stairs.

{{gwi:1618747}}

Wall with dining room entrance

{{gwi:1618748}}

Looking at room from front door

{{gwi:1618749}}

Wall opposite dining room entrance wall:

{{gwi:1618750}}

{{gwi:1618753}}

Left of fireplace; where the boy is sitting is the wall with front door on it.

{{gwi:1618756}}

The dog scratched the door. There is window film on the outside of the plexiglass in the middle. We will have the door refinished. The dog is not eating furniture any more, thank heavens.

I will reply to this thread with pictures of what I like and what I probably should like more ... I am desperate for help in figuring out a layout (I will try to post a picture of my ideas) and a style that will go with the room. We hopefully won't be renting this house for more than a few more years.

My worry is that furniture I like won't fit prettily into the room. I am going to buy furniture that we plan to keep for the rest of our lives.

I have 3 teenage boys (age 17) and a daughter (age 16), plus a husband and soft coated wheaten terrier (age 13 mos).

We have a so-called family room in the basement, but it is not finished (stone walls and open ceiling). Pretty much, all anyone does down there is watch tv on the big screen tv, and play video games. So the living room is where our family does most of its living.

Comments (71)

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If the leather sofa is in reasonable shape and your husband finds it comfortable enough,I would keep it, at least for now. Perhaps you can get new foam inserts for the cushions. You can buy them online for relatively little money.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

IME, since you are getting just about everything new, I wouldn't buy anything until you know what you want. In other words, have your rug, furniture, etc. picked, and then go from there.

I would focus on two things:
    (1) Declutter.
    (2) Floor plan.

I don't think you should buy anything until you have a floorplan that really works for you. It is SO much easier to plan ahead vs. work around what you already own. You already have to work around the limitations of the room (and every room has them).

It will save you a lot of money and annoyance to work this way.

• Related Discussions

New Powder Room, Before and After Pics!

Q

Comments (20)
    Domino3 We got the vanity from Lowes and modified it a bit. I changed out the hardware from the brushed it came with to more substantial chrome knobs. It actually came with a different beige countertop/sink but I really wanted a white marble countertop with rectangular sink, so I removed the countertop it came with. I found a rement of Georgia Cherokee Marble at a local fabricators and actually found the sink online. We had the vanity installed and then the marble countertop installed on top about a week later. It has five drawers that open, which is great. I love having the space for toilet paper, hand towels, lipstick, etc. I actually had a hard time finding a rectangular sink to fit in it,(it wouldn't fit the typical 18x12) so I thought I might have to take out the top two drawers and just make those fronts, but luckily I didn't have to do that! I know this probably sounds like a lot of work, but I spent endless nights searching vanities online and didn't find a thing. This one was just the style I wanted (all drawers, shelf on bottom, up on legs) and I ended up spending less doing this with my own countertop, etc than I would have going with a typical vanity/furntiure company.
    ...See More

Living Room - Before and After

Q

Comments (11)
    It's a BM color - but used SW paint Summer Nights Reads a bit brighter in person. Blues are hard - but I am really happy with this. First time I've ever had blue in any home I've owned!
    ...See More

Budget laundry room makeover - Before and After pics

Q

Comments (37)
    Reader, the prints in the bathroom are called Serengeti I and II by Tandi Venter. The artist is from South Africa I believe. DH and I had the opportunity to go on a safari in SA with our church group a few years ago, and although these are just common art posters, they make me think of our personal trip. I bought the prints on eBay and made the frames out of door casing trim. They are fantastic posters, but the odd size made buying stock frames impossible (and custom was more than I wanted to spend ;-) Lynn, thanks so much for the kind words. I'm glad you commented on the cabinet color; I haven't seen many painted to blend with the walls, so I wasn't sure of the reception it would get. Those original cabinets are extremely sturdy and well built but didn't have anything going for them in the looks department. I wanted to downplay their appearance and size but maximize their function. It didn't hurt that using all one color allowed me to just spray on the paint willy-nilly, either!
    ...See More

Need help finishing my colorful living room (before & after pics)

Q

Comments (17)
    Thanks for all your comments. I really appreciate them. So based on the suggestions, I think I would like to try changing the striped canvas art to be behind the couch and cover that large wall. Here is an idea of how it would look (made with only image editor) The canvas is 48x48, hope is okay for that wall Then take my time to fill the wall above the console with art/pictures that mean something to us (family, places. music, etc.) in different frame sizes and forms to avoid being too square with TV and mirror. I will take my time with that :) Definitely liked the idea of bringing a bigger lamp to the console table.. what a change! Thank you!! I will get another one :) I love the idea of painting the candle holders in orange.. will try. They belonged to my husband's grandparents... need to check I'm not a big fan of 'faux' plants, so I was considering a live one, but by the window next to the mirror instead of infront the mirror - here are my thoughts This is the bar cart we had in mind.. is quite expensive ($600!!) from Crate and Barrel This option, maybe with basket w/pillows and throws next to the plant? and then have a console table infront the dinning window and but our liquor there? Window treatments - at the beginning we wanted to leave the windows open to appreciate the back yard (we plan to have nice flowerbeds, etc), but the Texas sun is too strong to leave the windows with nothing.. I am trying to find something that will provide shade, but will allow to look outside and see the backyard as well. We put bamboo shades in the dining room that I plan to frame with curtains later on (see last pic). Will those go in the living room as well? I bought these, but was thinking to return them... I like them, just did not find a 'good wall' for them. what do you think? Once again, thank you!
    ...See More
  • geokid
    12 years ago

I have a small amount of advice since our old house was similar to yours. But there were only four of us, not six plus dog!

Definitely declutter. Make sure everything you have is something you need or love.

Make every piece do double duty: storage coffee tables, bookcases as foyer tables, storage beds or loft beds in the bedrooms, etc. You will be surprised how much space you could save and how much more functional everything can be.

Maybe get ceiling fixtures that can plug into the wall, or buy ceiling fixtures and retrofit them. You can get much needed overhead light without having to use the beam lights or have a lot of lamps taking up floor space. You can also look into wall-mount lights. In my pics below, there is one on each side of the big set of windows. There is another one on the wall next to the fireplace. We got them all at Lowe's.

Here are a couple pictures of my old living room. The walls were originally a muddy mauve and the curtains were dark. We repainted with BM Windham Cream and got light curtains. It made a huge difference. The house faced east and the LR only got direct sunlight in the early morning because we lived in a downtown neighborhood and there were houses nearby on three sides and a covered porch on the other. I feel your dark, old house pain!

Off to the right is the large opening to the DR like you have. We would have mounted the TV above the fireplace, but it was too high for the room's width to be at a comfortable viewing level.
    {{gwi:1618786}}

We originally had our desk where the bookcases are by the steps.
    {{gwi:1618787}}

• erinsean
    12 years ago

I agree declutter and find another furniture arrangement. Before getting new furniture, I would paint your walls a nice soft yellow. AND treat your self to the new glass tables....they will look great! Then I would put the brown leather sofa on the wall facing the fireplace, with new glass coffee table in front of it. The small two seater,(I would get slip covers for it) I would put on the stairwall, with the new glass table between it and the corner of the brown couch and your figured red chair facing the fireplace(new glass end table between it and the wall) with its back to the bookshelves. If your desk can't be moved (to another room) then I would put it cornerwise in the room...the air conditioner corner, with the bookself where the desk is now. Arrange the things on the shelves so they are attractive and neat. Is that a small TV in the corner by the desk? I would try to put it on the fireplace mantel though I usually don't like that. I think with your new arrangement, new neutral drapes, new glass tables, your room will take on a different look. You can wait for new furniture until you find just what you love. I am thinking the wood backed furniture is just too bulky for your room and I do like your brown leather one.

• clueless
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The scratches on the door are from the dog jump against it and pawing the door and plexiglass in great excitement whenever anyone comes home. He doesn't do that any more because I hold him back on a leash.

The leather couch is not in good enough shape to keep it. I figure that a new couch won't be here for at least 6 months because I have to figure out what to do first and then order furniture.

That old rug is from Pottery Barn and is about 12 years old. Now that you all have me thinking, I may put it over the berber in the basement where the tv is. It's 9 x 12, and if I move kitchen cabinet against the unused, old, piece of carp piano I think it will fit.

Yeah, those packing boxes hold 2 large stereo system shelf racks that I was going to put in the basement until I discovered that there is nowhere to put them.

Boy, you all are right about the clutter! We only have about half our stuff here because of the size of the house. I gave the rest to Salvation Army. We used to have 5000 books in bookcases around the perimeter of our other living room. My kitchen there was only 13 x 14, but it was a model of efficient design. Put it this way, the first time I saw this house, my instant reaction was that the owners did not come here to ask for guidance. They did a good job considering they were working blind, so to speak.

I will declutter. Then I was thinking of getting Kraft paper and making models of the furniture sizes I am aiming for, and just lying that paper on the floor to see how I can arrange the room.

The desk won't fit in the dining room. I used to have it squeezed in next to the furnace at the bottom of the basement stairs. Then my teenage son became very depressed and was hospitalized for it. I moved it upstairs so we could keep an eye on him and he wouldn't be isolated in the basement.

Anyway, the clutter is a large problem. First, I hate it. Second, in our other house, I made sure there was a place for everything. Here, there is not. That is one of my key things for the living room-- there has to be a place for everything and the space has have not too much furniture in it for its size.

I'll have to ask the landlord about hanging things on the walls and from the ceiling. He renovated this house and from my experience hanging towel rods in the bathroom, he may have used the thinnest drywall I have ever seen throughout. It is a miracle those towel rods are still up.

The couch company is sending me a chair made up like the couches so we can be sure we like the cushion firmness. I told him to send the cushions that are his normal kind; he makes softer ones and firmer ones. Also, the cushions can be made to stay on the couch -- he uses straps that attach underneath somehow. It makes it more difficult to turn over the cushions, is all. I had planned on getting the ones that hold the cushions to the couch.

The dog doesn't eat the cushions. He concentrates on tossing the cushions off and digging out what is underneath them.

One of my boys probably knows how to make a floor plan on the computer. I can't scan my paper one because my printer broke and I don't have a scanner.

Anyway, I'll get a floor plan up by tomorrow, I hope.

Thank you all for your help and comments. I told my husband you were helping me, and he was glad to hear it. We are going to look at furniture at a local store tomorrow, just to get a feel for what it looks like in person. He has agreed to let me pick out the furniture. I am going to write down the prices, manufacturers and model numbers of the things I like, so I can research both price and quality.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me. I am so grateful to you all.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Declutter. You're not going to be able to plan until you have a space free of things being left in places they don't belong.

I would try to find another place to set up the computer desk. One of the bedrooms? Unless you use the computer for work from home and need it to spread things out there, I can't see any good reason for it to be in your LR.

Honestly, there is so much stuff in the room, I can't envision anything in the way of a floor plan. Can you remove things to the basement or attic for storage?

As for the door scratches. We have bells on our doors handles. The dogs ring the bells rather than scratching. How old is your pup? Does he/she really need to use the crate? If the pup is housetrained, I would fold up and store that crate.

Seriously, if you could declutter and take absolutely everything you can manage out of the room, I think you would be better able to visualize a floor plan.

• lauriedeee
    12 years ago

Have you looked into getting one of those chairs that tilt so your husband could get out of it easier? I checked around and they range in price from $500. and up. He might enjoy having his very own chair.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

RE: clutter-- yes, I know how hard it is. We are a family of 7 in a teeny house. Some things I accept-- like that we need a certain amount of seating, so there might be more than the ideal pieces in the living room. But everything else that is not a "need" (hard to say any of this is a "need") I have to get rid of. For example, we needed to buy a bigger dining room table. It looked ridiculously huge in our small dining room. So, I had to get rid of some furniture in it and relocate other pieces. Now it's much better.

Think of the minimum you need to have a FUNCTIONAL household-- it's not just about it looking good, but working for you in terms of flow and how you use each room. Do NOT paint or buy anything until you figure this out. It will be so much easier to pick out the right sofa when you know where you'll put it, and way easier to pick out the right sofa when you know what size/color rug you want, etc.

What I love about decluttering is that it is FREE and FREEING!

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I don't have any advice, just wanted to wish you well on your project. Have you ever looked at the smaller homes forum? It might be helpful to you, too.

• geokid
    12 years ago

What is that short piece of furniture in the DR with all the drawers? Can the items in that be removed and placed somewhere else? Maybe in a tall cabinet you can put where the boxes and vacuum are in the DR. That would free up that drawer piece, plus space in the DR for the desk. You can get rid of the big computer chair and a dining chair can do double duty.

Try placing the sofa on the opposite side of the fireplace from where it is now. Float it in the room with space behind it creating a little entry area. You could put benches (with storage underneath for boots and shoes) along the wall where the desk is now. That drawer piece from the DR could go behind the couch and be a space for hats/mittens, leashes, etc. as well as a place to put a nice lamp for light. Imagine coming in the door, turning on the lamp, and sitting down to take your shoes off. Where the bookcases are now, you could add hooks for coats (with the dog crate below it if you can't find anywhere else to put it). Create your own entry room! It's a long enough room to handle it.

Then try centering the coffee table on the fireplace in front of the couch and put the TV on the wall opposite the couch along with the bookcases. Arrange your chair and small sofa opposite the couch and in the corner.

Try this arrangement out and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, the only thing you've really wasted is your time! If you love it, but the furniture pieces aren't quite right, you now know what pieces you really need to buy and the correct sizes.

For the record, I wasn't in love with the furnishings in my above living room either. We were poor students and had to live on donated or gifted furniture, but we made it comfortable and I was happy living there. I hope you can find the same comfort in your space.

• geokid
    12 years ago

Oops, TV opposite the fireplace. But opposite the couch could work too. Just play around with it.

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

I agree with the suggestions to declutter. But I also have some more general thoughts.

The current 'look' of the room, decor-wise, seems to be completely OPPOSITE to your taste. You said you like more modern styles, and the inspiration photos you posted are much more current than the style in the room. Almost all of the furniture, and the curtains you have now is extremely traditional, and given your tastes, I'd imagine you find it all 'dated.'

So although some paring down is in order, I think you need to get rid of everything (except the bookcases & maybe the lamps) and start fresh. To make this work for your budget, I'd consider a less expensive couch, so you have more money left for other items.

Re: Rugs-- Have you looked at over stock.com for area rugs? They usually have affordable options. Even target sometimes has reasonably priced high quality room-sized rugs. Alternatively,have you considered making a rug out of carpet tiles? Flor is expensive, but other websites sell carpet tiles for much less (I've ordered from carpet-wholesale.com, and they send samples).

Window treatments--the curtains must go, and I'd probably pick those quite early in the design process. The room will feel fresher, and more contemporary, as soon as you remove those curtains.

Entry--- people are getting rid of armoires left and right, due to flatscreen tvs. I'd think you could find a reasonably priced used armoire, to use in lieu of a coat closet, if you have space in the room for it. Maybe even free, on craigslist, if you don't need delivery.

Desk--is your son wedded to the black desk? I think it will stick out in the redecorated room, and something white, wood (or even faux wood, in a tone that matches the new console) would look 1000% better.

Colors--olives or gold would work well with the woodwork.

Overall-- I'd look for an affordable rug & drapes first, then choose sofa upholstery & a paint color to match. Agree with the person who said you could order the accent tables now (they're nice and should work with just about anything). Just because the house is old, you shouldn't feel limited to period/traditional furniture. People put contemporary furniture in older homes all the time where I live (DC). I'd choose items that suit your taste, not try to match the style of the house, since this is a rental and the more traditional style is not your taste.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Once you find your perfect furniture arrangement, (look at Geokid's...) I would order that couch and do the cushions in a dark brown microfiber. From "O" add in angelo:HOME's Harlow Floral Lotus Green Arm Chair and a simple rug like this: Handmade Alexa Neutrals and Textures Damask Beige Wool Rug. Paint the walls in Laura Ashley Olive #2 and hang simple, cream panels. You can add some punch with fun throw pillows.
    Hope you don't mind me throwing out these ideas~~ good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harlow Floral Lotus Green Arm Chair

• lpb313
    12 years ago

I think that couch seems over priced at $3,000 and not very comfortable or modern-the wood makes it look cheap and it would be too dark with the dark paneling--your inspiration photos are all so light and airy -you can find much better sofa options if you really look---maybe a sofabed would also give you options if you have guests-I would get your husband a comfortable recliner--Jcpenneys and other online sources have good sales and reasonable priced drapes-get them after you choose sofa cause they are easier to change than furniture-also I would consider a different computer desk-one that has shelves and storage or an armoire type-there are smallish ones that dont take up much room--you can check online-it would declutter that area and provide storage-I would make this place livable and bright and cheery but not invest a fortune because if you move chances are you might want different design choices

• deegw
    12 years ago

Below is a link to a product that will be an easy, inexpensive fix for the door. It won't smooth out the scratches but will make them less noticeable.

You might be able to use it on some of your wood pieces and the floor too.

For a quick, cheap fix that I think will have a lot of impact, I would purchased some plain inexpensive tan or light green curtain panels from Penneys or Walmart for the living and dining area. It will lighten up the space and tone down the busyness (is that a word?)of the rooms.

Walmart window panels:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belle-Maison-Grammercy-Grommet-Window-Panel-Taupe/14710623

A lighter color rug will help too but I am hesitant to suggest it because it appears to be a major traffic area. Maybe a tone on tone pattern that won't add any more contrast to the room.

This green is not exactly the right color but is the look I was thinking about:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Diamond-Rug-Green/13846211?findingMethod=rr

I really don't mean this in an ugly way but I honestly don't understand why you want spend so much money to get furniture to fit a place that you hate.

I would declutter, fix the door, get rid of the pattern curtains and the dark rug and get the red upholstered chair cleaned. The purchases will be inexpensive and I think they will make a giant impact.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old English Scratch Cover

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

Nothing wrong with your house, in my opinion. I have lived in, worked with worse, in my life. I seem to get the messge that you hate it, that not much would make you like living there, and that it is a step down from your previous life? Don't mean to offend in any way, was this a downsize due to your DH's illnesses?
    Agree will all.....don't go spending hard earned money yet... first off....declutter declutter declutter. Then fix the door, paint the walls.

Maybe a soft olive or gold (look at the Laura Ashley colors at Lowes), as recommended above?

Then, How about a smallish corner desk where the bookcase is now, to the left of the door when you come in? Something unobtrusive. Then your son has his study area, and it is not such a focus in the room. Can some of the books be relocated to bedrooms, maybe under bed storage boxes for now? Just keep out the necessities? This gives you room to put a small table or bookcase under the window next to the door. Get the rest of those books down low. Sorry,they draw the eye in, and not in a good way.

If there is room, try putting the leather sofa, with the back to the door, at right angles to the fireplace, facing the stairs. Clean it up good with leather cleaner, it looks like a nice piece. I know you don't like it. Maybe find a sofa table for the back of it, gives you a place for a lamp, and also divides off the desk area and entry.

I would put the TV on a small console in front of the tv. It would be sitting against the stairs. You could inexpensively build a unit along the stairs to that wall on the right, low with shelves for books, dvds, games etc.

Where the settee is, could you put the floral chair and another newly purchased chair, or recliner for your DH? on that short wall? Or if you love the settee, just spruce it up with the Old English scratch remover like Dee recommended. Maybe recover the cushions?

Again, hard to tell by looking at the screen, Not sure about the dimensions but scrolling back up again and again. If you cannot put two chairs where the settee is now (with a lamp table in between), it looks like that you will room at the right side of the fireplace, to put another chair.

A nice area rug in front of the sofa, centered there in front of fireplace, and yes do get rid of the crate. Some solid window panels, maybe a coffee table that is a chest (for more storage, for games etc)?

It sounds like you are frustrated, and want to just toss and start over. But please try some of the suggestions here before you spend thousands of dollars. You have already said you will not be in this house long, save that money for pieces for the new house.

You have a lot to work with there, and have had a lot of wonderful suggestions here on the forum. Try this stuff.. Maybe not my ideas, I am not the expert here. BUt get those teenagers in there and have them help you scoot stuff around and rework it until it is right for everyone>

Good luck to you. Keep us informed of your progress.

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

I meant to say :Put the TV on a small console in front of the STAIRS.... sorry. :( Looking at the picture where the steps go up, you have room to build in a storage unit. It would not sit out any farther than that sofa does now. Build it always across the wall to the corner. Put your flat screen TV on it, right where the risers go up, then maybe make a cushion on the top from the TV to the corner.. for seating. That would give you seating for the kids, for when you are not watching tv, just having family time. and it doesn't look like the television is the center of attention in your room.

• clueless
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all again for your comments and your suggestions.

The reason I am going to redecorate this room (aside from the Very Obvious) is that I have the cash to do it now. If I don't do it, it will never get done because something will come up.

The thing about the brown leather sofa I have is that it is 90" long, 37" deep, and is 65" between the inside of the arms.

This other sofa I'm thinking of getting (not so positive any more) is 76" long, 33" deep, and has 72" between the inside of the arms. So it is smaller, yet has more seating area.

The other thing about the wood sofa is that there isn't so much to worry about getting messed up -- only the cushions would be upholstered.

Maybe it is years of living with 4 kids and various dogs, plus a messy husband, but I am so leery of buying furniture and then seeing it ruined.

My husband and I were going to go this weekend to a huge furniture store known for it's higher end inventory, but he had to work. We'll go next weekend. I need to physically see what is available. Plus, I'm curious about what the big difference is between sofas at different price points. I need to know this so I can make sure I get good value for my dollar.

A friend of mine saw an Ekornes leather sofa for $12K there ... that makes me wonder what makes that sofa so special. I went on their website, and boy did it make me want one. But that's out of the question because I am used to being frugal mostly because I don't have a lot of extra money. I often wonder what would happen if I won Powerball -- would I suddenly be able to spend money like it was nothing? Or would I be the only multi-multi-millionaire who lives in a 4 BR 2 BA ranch house? Still, it would be good to know what the differences in furniture are at various price points. Like everything else, I'm sure that at each price point quality varies. I aim to get as high a quality as I can with my small budget.

I'm glad my husband is going with me. He will not believe how much the really high end furniture costs. He's the type who thinks brand new luxury cars are the way to go, but couches that cost $1K are *expensive*.

He needs a new car, but one way I'm financing this living room is to make sure it is a 2010 model, and costs at most $20K. My new mantra is that we shouldn't sink a ton of money into an non-appreciating asset. That includes the living room. I think I can do this for $7K, and if I am careful I can get a big bang for the buck.

I spent many hours online yesterday reading about color and furniture arrangement. I also tried out several sites' free furniture arranging software. I could not figure out how to work three of them, although I tried, read the info, etc. The one that I could get to work didn't let me save it, and the dog was asleep, so I didn't print it out. No matter, I remember what I did.

I looked at tons of high end furniture, too. Oh boy, did that make me salivate! I actually found a great Shaker armoire for the tv on Craigslist (slim pickings here), but the lady never responded to my emails so she must have sold it right away. It was $200, looked to be in perfect condition, and was by Hooker.

So here is my plan. First, I am going to declutter. Then I am going to figure out how to put a floor plan on the computer so I can post it here. At that point, I will start a new thread called Before Living Room Furniture Arrangement or something like that. I'll rearrange the furniture in my living room in different ways and take pictures to post, too.

Oh, and that cabinet in the DR used to be in my kitchen. It is Ikea's Varde counter storage unit, and it is roughly 58 x 26. I couldn't give it up when we moved, and the dining room was the only place I had to stash it. It holds kitchen utensils, foil, baggies, napkins, cookie cutters, rolling pins, and the like. I love having all those drawers. I don't want to paint it because my game plan is to have another all white kitchen someday. Here's hoping that someday comes!

I've been thinking about all this when I wake up, and I'm starting to be able to visualize how different furniture would look. This is pretty exciting because I am not good at visualizing anything.

I'm grateful for your help, as always.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Sounds like you are on your way to a good plan. We spend so much of our time in our home so it should make us feel good when we are there.
    Keep us posted!

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

Enjoy the shopping trip next weekend! I think you can definitely redo the room, with great results, for a $7000 budget. You mentioned that you're in a more rural area now. It may be worth looking to see whether there is a homegoods within an hour or two radius; they may have affordable rugs, and lately they've had inexpensive solid color curtains (I've seen white, cream, beige, brown, blue, & olive, depending on the store).

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

Best of luck to you Clueless... it sounds like you really have made up your mind.

• User
    12 years ago

I haven't read all these posts, but just wanted to wish you luck and suggest you might be able to find the sofa for less than $3000. Also, of all the rug types you posted, I think the green variegated one (not necessarily green, but that pattern) gives some pattern and texture without flowers or geometric shapes that imo would make the space seem smaller.

• bananafana
    12 years ago

I actually dreamt about your living room last night. I don't know what genius solutions you came up with, but it was really great!

I would initially do something about the light, or lack of light, to be precise. It looks like you have blinds in the windows, so I would push those drapes all the way open, pull the blinds all the way up and get the max light in there. I would open the drapes all the way in the dining room too. See how having all the possible light coming in changes the room.

Put at least 60 watt bulbs in those overhead lights in the ceiling beams. Don't get the long-life bulbs cuz they do not give the max light. Just changing all those 40w bulbs to 60s will make a big difference. I'd also get that air conditioner out of that window since it's eating up half the light from that window.

You said there is a porch in front. Can you do anything out there to let more light in? Like if there are blinds or drapes out there, or stuff blocking the light, do what you can to open it up .

Do you need that window film on the front door glass? There's a source of light going to waste. You could replace the window film when you move out; it's easily available at Home Depot.

I saw a lamp on top of the bookcase. Try to find a spot for it so you can turn it on too.

Was wondering about using that bookcase to create an entryway and place to hang more coats. Like if you put it at right angle to the front door, with the back of bookcase on your left when you walk in the door----hang a hook rack on the back of the bookcase for hanging more coats.

That desk is not helping you. I'd trade it in on a dining table on Craigslist. Put the long side of table against the book side of bookcase (after you move it), so your son sits with the window on his right side. You could possibly store the dog crate under the table or other stuff and put a long table cloth on it to hide the stuff. Or use a new rug runner or length of fabric.

If there is an upholstery shop near you, I'm pretty sure they can bring that leather sofa back to life by restuffing cushions and repairing the supports under the sofa for a couple hundred bucks.

Your husband may not like the idea of a lift-chair, but I bet he would love it once he got one. I just got one for a family member and we all love the thing. The recline is really great and the lift function is fun and works amazingly well. They aren't all ugly, some are good looking and don't look like lift- chairs at all. I got my mom and dad one on Craigslist for $325 in perfect shape.

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

When I was trying to figure out the the layout for a room not too long ago, I used Ethan Allen's space planning guide. It was easy for me to operate unlike some of the other 3 dimensional planning sites. I was also going to suggest getting that brown paper and laying down the dimensions of your pieces, but you beat me to it. I think that's a good way to see how your traffic will flow around the pieces once they're in the room.

I think if you want to get a bold patterned rug, you should select that first and then get your furniture. At least that's what I was always told about buying Oriental rugs if you're starting from scratch.

Looking at the pictures you selected, I think you'd be happy with a palette of a yellowy green, yellow/gold and coral/deep salmon. I wouldn't go too pale of a yellow or a greyish green. I like the green color in your first picture and the gold in the 3rd. I can see 2 of those coral leather chairs working in there too. If you went that route, you'd just need to decide whether you wanted the green on the walls or on the sofa. You can also add a rocker or another chair that could be moved easily into your grouping if need be.

I've been looking on ebay lately and I was surprised at some of the good buys they have on used furniture like armoires, hutches and desks. It's much better stuff than anything I've seen on my local Craig's List. You can even search for things within a certain area of your zip code and save on delivery charges. I picked up a piece of furniture for my bedroom that way. I saw they even have sideboards that aren't too large that you could use to replace that Ikea piece in the dining room.

What condition is the attic in? Is there any chance the owner would let you move his stuff onto pallets in the basement so you could move your son's room and the TV up there?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen's Space Saving Game Plan

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I like chickadees idea of creating a space for your son in the attic if it is possible.
    IMHO, your landlord should not have rented you this house in the condition it is in. I would do what it takes to make it as comfortable as possible. As we say, "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permision."

• clueless
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The attic is just a peaked room at the top of the house - hard to stand up in there, not finished at all, not insulated, and the stairs are the pull-down kind that are wobbly and missing stairs. The landlord lives in CA and when he comes here to visit his family, he goes up there and takes a few things they miss. I stand by, ready to call 911.

Thanks for the Ethan Alan link, chickadee2.

Here's a photo of the house (the dog is our collie who died a year ago of cancer). The snow/ice covered area in front of the porch is a little brick area. The furniture on the porch belongs to the landlord -- it is old, painted brown, kind of mission style with horrible cushions. He thinks it is a valuable antique, and if I can't throw it away, he ought to at least let me paint it.

{{gwi:1618788}}

The little room off the left side of the house is the pantry. It is tiny. The room is a very poorly constructed addition done decades ago. In the winter, cold wind blows in through the paneling on the walls. If I open the exterior door, it won't close properly. I opened it last summer and couldn't get it to stay latched, much less locked, until December. Meanwhile, I piled boxes of stuff against it to hold it shut. The ceiling is lay-in tile, very industrial.

I have it stuffed full -- the landlord's huge desk which I use to do work and for my computer, business files, a bookcase which doubles as storage space for small appliances, 2 Ikea Billy bookcases with doors which are the actual pantries, and a big standing pot rack for my pots.

Bananafana, the curtains are open during daylight hours. I can't get rid of the a/c. It's in that window so it reaches the dining room and kitchen, and we have to have it. It gets very hot and humid here in the summer.

The window film is on the door because everyone can see right inside our house when they come to the door or drive by. We tried it without film for a couple of months, but the lack of privacy was driving me nuts.

Now not being able to see out that window is driving the dog nuts. I've diverted him to the dining room, but he doesn't like that window as much.

I'm thinking about doing yellowy green/golden yellow/creamy white. If creamy white doesn't count, I'll add in a little bit of sky blue (the actual sky color) or maybe a tad of orange. I don't like coral, although I had a brief love affair with raspberry earlier today.

The landlord keeps saying he can't wait until we buy the house from him. Since we will live here for 4 years or more, according to our lease, I don't say one word in response, but I do wonder.

The black desk is by Anthro and cost me over $800, pretty much because I am an idiot. The Ikea cabinet in the dining room cost $500 and I need it. These are actually the only furniture I've bought that were solely for me. I do a lot of cooking and baking, so the kitchen is the most useful room in the house to me.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I think you are a trouper to try to make this place work. If you really have a 4 year lease (!) I think you should insist the LL get his stuff that you don't want or need out of YOUR home. You'd then at least have use of the whole place. If you don't have a legal 4 year lease, then what are the chances that you can scout for a more suitable rental home, since you are now in the area and not doing it long distance?

When I was younger, I, too, moved from an urban community (all I'd ever known) to a rural, isolated area. Although it was idyllic and beautiful, I HATED it. I can so relate to what you said about not being able to find anyone with anything in common. It was awful; I just had no idea there was a world like I'd been thrust into. A town of 200 or so people, none of whom were outsiders but us. While nice enough, they had no experience or interest including outsiders. You wouldn't believe what we had to go through to rent a house because no one "knew" us. But eventually we found community, a few more open minded local folks, a few "back to the land types" who were pretty much reviled by the locals, but were open to us even though we were a bit more traditional than they were. We were too liberal for the locals and appeared too traditional to the back-to-land folks (even though we weren't). I almost had a nervous breakdown about it all as I'd never had difficulty making friends or creating community.

Eventually, a local family took us under their wings (the wife/mother was pretty ostracized because she'd married a local "catch" but she was from outside the area - complicated politics to say the least). Through them I learned to love the country, learned to grow and preserve food and live for a week or two without electricity. I now look back on those years with great fondness, but when the opportunity arose to return to civilization, I jumped at it.

I hope you'll find a way to fit in with a group of people who will make it feel like home to you. Seek out a political group that matches your values; you may find some hidden gems who you would never meet otherwise.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Are you saying the black computer desk in the LR was $500? I notice you want all your furniture to be high end. There's a lot of nice furniture that's not expensive.

For example, our last sofa could have lasted a lifetime, because it was a sofa bed. Sofa beds are a lot firmer and cost under a $1000.

I think having wooden arms is a disaster in the making. Because of the size of the room, they'll easily get scratched. Make sure you get low arms though, they're the ultimate in comfort.

Since four years is a long time to live there, have you thought about embracing the style of your house and the stone fireplace, and decorate in traditional/cottage/country?

Right now I feel that your money is burning a hole in your pocket which can be detrimental in the long run. I've been there and made very poor choices because I wanted it NOW. lol

• jlj48
    12 years ago

I understand how excited you are to have money to spend, and you're anxious to buy nice things and get started. But I have 3 kids (two are teenagers), a dog and a cat, and I know how hard they are on everything. Floors get scratched and stained, as well as all my furniture. I've learned to lower my standards and live with alot more mess and imperfection, just to salvage my own sanity. I want my home to be a place of comfort for everyone and I don't want to get upset over stains on the furniture, walls and floors. Having said that, I wanted to tell you that I've bought furniture and yard sales and thrift stores that I have loved as much, really MORE than new furniture because I didn't have to worry so much about what it cost. I paid alot of money for a sectional couch 5 years ago that has broken twice, and has stains on it from teens flopping in it and eating on it while watching tv. I also am tired of the style. If I had it to do overagain, I would have purchased something much less expensive knowing that in 5 - 10 years I would be able to afford to replace it. I find that upholstered pieces seem to wear out faster at my house than staples like the dining room table, our desk for our computer, our tv stand/cabinet, ect. Ironically, our dining room table was purchased and refinished by my dad at an auction for $1.00!! And we bought our wooden computer desk for $30.00 at a yard sale! If I were you, I would clean and try to make due with as much of my furniture as I can and the ones I need to replace I would look for big bargains.
    But FIRST, I agree with everyone else, clear out and declutter first. Remove rugs, freshen your floors, and hang lighter in color - neutral window treatments. Painting is so much work that I would go as neutral in that area too. Let your personality show in your accessories. Your home has so much character and beautiful wood work. I love your firplace too. Once you get started, it will all go rather quickly I think. Good luck with the whole process. Can't wait to see after pictures!

• graywings123
    12 years ago

If I were you, I would be buying medium to even lower end furniture that works in this space, not "rest of your life" furniture. I would not try to match the style of the house, but rather go for the sleeker, modern look that you want. The sofa you have your eye on doesn't have the modern look that you say you want. I would go with a combination of leather pieces and slipcovered pieces.

I would mentally section off the part of the room where the door, the computer, the bookcase and the TV now reside and make it as functional as possible, giving you much-needed storage.

Shift the computer station slightly to the right and install a floor-to-almost-ceiling set of cubbies to the right of the door (where Santa is) to make a landing zone for backpacks, etc. Replace the bookcase with one that goes almost to the ceiling and turns the corner reaching to the window with the AC unit. Have doors on the bottom half for storage, open shelves on the top for display.

I wonder whether you could do a seating pit in that room. Sectional pieces that form an L or even a shortened U in the area between the staircase and the opening to the dining room.

Now about the lighting. You need lamps, several lamps, and at least one torchiere that throws light onto the ceiling. That one lamp would make a huge difference in lighting the room.

• clueless
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I decided the modern is out. What I like best about it, besides neat colors and unusual designs, is that so much of it is not clunky. I like slim furniture that is quite plain. I dislike clutter.

I also like My3dogs house, and yesterday I looked at all the pictures she has posted. I like other people's houses too, but My3dogs house just amazes me, as does her talent.

So I picked up a bunch of decorating magazines for inspiration, and because I need to decide on a style that reflects me -- kind of like I think My3dogs' style reflects her.

I'm not saying I'm going to copy her -- far from it. First, it cannot be done. She has talent galore and has spent 22 years getting her house to look the way it does today.

But I can sew and I can refinish and stain or paint furniture. So I'm keeping my eye out in various places for furniture I love.

I think that must be part of the key to all this. So far, I've found 2 area rugs I love, and I've looked at about 2,000 of them (online, not in person). So I'm going to look at rugs in person, and when I find one I love and can afford, I will buy it. The rug will have colors in it both for practical reasons and because I love color.

I am going to try to develop my imagination. I've seen pieces here that people have bought on Craigslist that I would not have touched with a 10-foot pole. Then they refinish and/or reupholster the piece and it looks astonishingly beautiful. I think those people have the ability to see the great bones, to see what can be, and they make it so. I'm going to try to develop that in myself, instead of always going for the practical, functional or frugal purchase. I need beauty in my life -- my kind of beauty, whatever that is.

There are several oil paintings of dogs I have spotted on eBay during the last few years that I love. These painting do not fit a modern decor at all, especially as I love ornate frames. I didn't buy any of them because of that. Now I'm thinking that is stupid. I'm just so sick of being embarrassed by my dumpy living room when people do come over that I got sidetracked onto thinking mainly of what other people would be impressed by, rather than by what I love. Trying to make a showplace instead of a home place is not going to work on my budget anyway. It's kind of like the should-do's are getting in the way of the want-to's. I hope that makes sense.

I am not talented at all with decorating. I will have to ask for help from you all. I have a list, actually supplied by your suggestions, and I'm starting with decluttering and getting ready to start this adventure.

I'm grateful, as always for your help. You all give such good advice. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Wow! Everything you have said makes so much sense. I think it's going to end up looking really nice and will, like you said, reflect you. I can't wait to see your progress- good luck!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    12 years ago

Hi, Clueless!

I have watched this post for a few days, thinking that I can't offer any help, as I am so far from modern in style. I check it each day, though, and cannot tell you how much your comments on my home mean to me, as I sit here with the cold to end all colds. What a boost!

As you read on my posts, eBay and Craigslist are my friends. It has helped make my house unique, and I have found such incredible buys in both places, that I know you can, too!

My modest home is far from being a showplace, but it is welcoming and cozy, and yours will be, too. You have come to the right place. We'll be here to help and guide you when we can! Your enthusiasm is contagious...just like my cold. :-)

• pfmastin
    12 years ago

Clueless,
    I can tell you are committed to this project. I'm not a very talented decorator and I know you have gotten great advice from the other posters.

Aside from the drywall and cosmetic issues, clueless, I *love* this Hansel and Gretel house. I agree with with poster who suggested looking at a style that's more cottage/country/traditional as in the second photo you posted. I think there's a lot of potential to be comfy and cozy.

• geokid
    12 years ago

I am so glad to hear you have come to the conclusion on your own what you like, and didn't rush out and buy a whole bunch of furniture you don't love!

I'm probably overstepping my bounds here, but have you and your family sat down and had a family meeting Huxtable-style and talked about your home situation? I think it would be beneficial to discuss as a group everyone's wants and needs and come to an agreement about what is best for your family. Decide together what the function of each room should be. Living room: entry (how big and what should go there), living space (how often you watch TV in there will dictate its prominence in the room), a possible desk area (how big and what kind). Dining room: eating, kitchen storage (could the storage be more efficient?), possible desk area? Bedrooms: Maybe your son would share a room with his brother if it were a comfortable, functional room. And if your sons are heading off to college in a year or two, it might be good experience for them to share a room! :)

Just an idea: what about giving your daughter the smallest room upstairs and having the three boys be in the largest? Make it a bunk room, and you can even curtain off each sleeping area so they have some privacy. Do a google image search for bunk room for tons of ideas. The third bedroom can be a TV/computer room for all the kids. Get everyone out of the dungeon!

I hope you know that there are a lot of us out there that can completely relate to your situation and how stressful, and at times depressing, it can be. We are excited to help and I'm excited for you and can't wait to hear your ideas!

There are excellent decorators on here so I will leave most of that to those with the talent, but I love organizing and arranging! :)

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

clueless, I think this is all very therapeutic, isn't it? Decorating (esp. doing it intentionally vs. just functionally) really shows who we are, so it takes getting to know ourselves AND being "OK" with others knowing us in order to be brave enough to decorate.

Of course, people who decorate 100% for function are also showing who they are, but they do not have the emotional investment to care. :)(Not saying that is a bad thing . . .in fact, I think I envy them.)

Anyway, I think you have already come to some realizations that will span beyond just decorating. If you have not tried FlyLady for decluttering ideas, try her. You may not want to use her system or anything, but her messages are very positive, and they show how clutter connects to other parts of our lives.

I must say, I am SO HAPPY that you will be taking time with this process and are going to get what you LOVE. Yes! I have some pieces that I really do love. I do not care if anyone else likes them or thinks they work, and I would not part with them, so I know they were the right choice.

What I am doing while I am saving more $ and finding what I like is using what I have in the best way. Shop at home, rearrange, and declutter . . .you will feel so good without spending a penny, AND by messing around with what you already have, you will have a better idea of what works for you in form and function.

• clueless
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh boy, now I'm really in trouble. I found a 3-drawer chest, hand-rubbed cherry, 36" wide, 18" deep, and 30" high, that I LOVE. It's small enough to fit anywhere, and is in great condition. Made of actual cherry wood - I looked it up, and couldn't find much info online.

It could hold dog leashes in one drawer, and gloves and hats in the other two. These items are often part of the clutter.

It's $375.

And I haven't decided anything, but it seems to me this piece would fit in anywhere. What do you all think?

Naturally, I have to go out all morning. I hope it isn't sold before I get back. I sent the seller an email asking about it -- whether the drawers glide smoothly and whether the inside of the drawers are discolored or have any mold or mildew.

What do you all think? Is it worth it? Solid cherry, hand-rubbed, Cliff House by Heywood Wakefield. Also, even though it is pictured with a modern lamp and chair, I think it would fit in with other styles. It doesn't wed me to MCM decor.

{{gwi:1618790}}

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Lovely piece but the timing is wrong. Your room plan isn't designed. And frankly, given the room you are working in and everything it has to do, you need to think about pieces of furniture that make use of vertical space.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

I think it's a little pricey. Anele is right, if you're going to purchase something with a small footprint, make it taller to utilize the wall space for maximum storage. Little pieces are adorable but they take up space and only give a tiny amount of storage. That being said, I can see why you like it.

• jlj48
    12 years ago

Let it go. Declutter and paint, possibly put up new window treatments first. Decide what you'll keep and what will go. Then look for BARGAINS. I agree about using vertical space and pieces that do double duty.

• robm_2007
    12 years ago

If I was two years into a four year lease (did I read that correctly?), I don't know if I would want to spend $$$ on furniture. The furniture may not compliment your next home!

Nevertheless, this is what I would envision. Oh, and lucky you to be able to watch the cows every day. I would love that.

1. Declutter.
    2. Paint the walls a nice, light, neutral color.
    3. Move the desk and bookshelf into dining room. A round dining table may take up less room and allow for the desk.
    4. Purchase an Armoire (Craig's List or Overstock) and place where bookshelf was for coats, hats, gloves, boots.
    5. A storage bench with seat could go under the window next to the front door.
    6. Install a large mirror where the coats are currently hanging.
    7. Buy a wooden or wicker dog house/crate with a flat top. You can place storage bins on top to hold the puppies collars and leashes. It could be used as an end table as well as doggie house. I would not put it next to the front door!

The landlord sounds like he is offering you a fairly low rent, so moving his furniture out of the house may not be possible.

Good luck with all this and thanks for sharing your decorating problems with us. We all have them!

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Ditto to what graywings said. Unless you can repurpose it to another room if it does not work out in the LR, I would not get it. It is really a million times easier to do the floorplan first.

Would you be willing to sacrifice other things in order to keep it? Are you willing to design the room around it? Are you "decorating yourself into a corner?"

BTW, don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket!

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

I think it's a nice looking piece and from looking at the other prices for that brand of furniture on ebay, it doesn't seem out of line price wise. I'd see if she would come down $50 or at least $25 on it. Having said that, I agree with the others about buying something for your living room that makes the best use of space. I think you need something taller with more storage on your front wall. If you were to bring the couch out to the front of the fireplace, that piece might fit in the corner in front of the wall with the stairs where you have a lamp now. I can also see it in your dining room against the living room wall where the coat rack is and use it in place of the ikea piece. I know you want to keep the ikea chest but it really sticks out and detracts from your other furniture in there. Maybe if you painted the white parts black, it would fit in better by picking up the black in your table and chairs.The white color doesn't work in there.

Knowing what your floor will be will help you from making mistakes in the long run as the others have said.

• suero
    12 years ago

I don't know the dimensions of your living room, so I'm just guessing that this floor plan will work. The major adjustment I made is to put the bookcase perpendicular to the entry door, just past the light switch, and turned the desk around so that it backs up to the back of the bookcase. This gives you an entry area and lets your son work at the computer in the living room, so he's not isolated from the family.
    The sofa seats three, the loveseat seats two, the easy chair and footstool, one or two, the desk chair, one, and an ottoman can serve as extra seating as needed, just in case people feel crowded on the sofa or loveseat.

Add tables and lamps as necessary.

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

Another possibility is a tall narrow bookcase with baskets to the left of the door to catch hats and gloves. I just chose this one on a quick search because it already has the baskets to fit the openings and you can buy replacements. There are a lot of other tall bookcases out there to choose from.

Here is a link that might be useful: bookcase - 4th in on 2nd row

• geokid
    12 years ago

Chickadee mentioned the Ethan Allen floor planner tool and I used it to put together a couple of possible floor plans for your space (it's a fun tool!). I guessed on some of the measurements, but it's a general idea.

The design has an entry area with a couple storage pieces. The sofa table can be used as more entry storage or as a small computer space if there isn't another spot for the computer.

The main difference is that the TV is above the fireplace.

This is what I mean about a corner bookcase. You don't need glass doors, or doors at all. But I think doors on at least the bottom half would be nice. These are Billy from Ikea.

Tjusig shoe bench from Ikea. Holds eight pairs of shoes. I can verify its sturdiness, we have two in our back hallway.

Something like this short bookcase by the front door. Baskets for hat/mittens/leashes/etc and a spot on top for setting things down. The back is unfinished but you could paper or paint it a fun color.

• geokid
    12 years ago

I knew something looked wrong. I meant the bookcase inside the door to be tall and skinny, like chickadee suggested. The wide one looks funny sticking out like that.

I stumbled across this pic, and something like this could work around the window just inside your door. Maybe?

• jennifer_in_kansas
    12 years ago

Wow, Geokid, that looks great!

J

• melsouth
    12 years ago

I, too, have been reading about your family, your plans, and your challenges, and, like everyone else, I'm looking forward to seeing your After pics!

I am no decorator myself. I have been doing the same thing you are--reading magazines, library books, and mostly online to figure things out.
    There are quizzes you can take, too, that might help you define your style.
    Once you know what you want, keep reminding yourself what that is, and don't let yourself wander too much from the plan. Stick to your guns!

We just rebuilt our home after a total loss due to a fire and have not had much left for furnishings.
    We have had to buy just a few brand new things.
    Mostly, though, we've been having lots of fun acquiring nice things at bargain prices by searching for, bargaining for, and buying well-built items from Craigslist, Goodwill, Salvation Army thrift stores, auctions, antique stores, estate sales, yard sales, and junk stores.
    We inspect things thoroughly to see what they're made of and how they're made, and to see if we can refinish or paint them.

I think we're ending up with better things than we could get if we bought all new stuff from a furniture store.
    (And it's sort of like a treasure hunt, lol.).
    Good luck!! I'm definitely going to be watching for your posts!

• clueless
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! You all have great ideas. Thank you so much for the floor plans, Geokid and Suero.

I've put this on hold for a week, except for reading decorating magazines, because I've been undergoing medical testing to find out why I can barely walk due to leg pain.

This means that I can't cook or do housework or -- more importantly -- go to a large furniture store near me to look at what is available IRL. It also means the decluttering has been put on hold temporarily.

I am going to look for used, older, high quality case goods. I've decided to bite the bullet and refinish the furniture if necessary - I don't like doing it, but I do like the end result. I've roped a friend into going to yard sales, flea markets, and other places at which we kind find these types of things. Plus, I've bookmarked every Craigslist location within a 2.5 hour drive of here -- in case something becomes available that is worth the drive and hiring someone with a truck to deliver it.

Anyway, thank you all for your much appreciated help. I really have nothing new to report. Unless I didn't mention that the landlord will probably let me paint the paneling, but not the woodwork.

RC