SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twojrs

Low VOC paint for beadboard and trim?

twojrs
15 years ago

Hey ya'll!

First a short (or long) update to my first post.

I unfortunetly didn't read Michael's response to my last post prior to stripping the paint off my old window. So rather then sanding with a wet sponge I stripped it. All was going amazing with the citristrip, until I went to use a stripper wash to get off the residue. Being really really stupid, I assumed if the citristrip was fine in smell, certainly the wash would not have any smell. And at the time that I used the wash, the window would not open. It had been painted shut for probably 20years. So you can only imagine the smells in the kitchen, where the window is located. I opened the back door for an hour, and turned all the fans on in the house. This did not seem to help. I have a dog who gets very very nervous about smells. (the smell from when the gas range was on used to bother him, but now hes okay with that)Needless to say we lived with the aroma for two days, with the dog shaking nervously. I finally got the window open, with the other advice Michael gave me. However, the dog got super sick. Vet bills up the wazoo, etc. They thought the blood work looked like he had lead poisoning, although he was kept out of the area i was working in. So we aren't sure if it was the toxic smells, or he somehow ingested lead. For anyone wondering he is doing ALOT better, but if hes not 100% by Monday they want to do more testing. I feel SO bad, I can't believe I did something that stupid. I have another dog, but shes older, and shes been fine through my stupidity.

Now on to my question, relating to my recent trauma doing home improvements.

I need to prime and paint the kitchen, but I need to use VERY low VOC paints/primers.

Prior to my discovery of this message board I did my shopping for the project, oops. I had purchased Kilz odorless, but I am not sure it is since its oil based. Also, I had gone to SW and gotten Duration paint in Macadamia for the walls, and Duration paint in Dover white for trim, beadboard, and door. I told the guy at SW that I wanted a white for all the woodwork, and he said duration was the way to go, as long as I was using an oil primer. After reading these boards I am not so sure, but I also can't do anything with a strong smell.

So does anyone know if Kilz odorless is really odorless, or at least minimal in smell?

Can I really use Duration Home paint on primed wood? If not will they exchange it since it was their recommendation, and I have no use for it.

I also want to do a glaze on the beadboard and trim. I told the guy helping us at SW about what I wanted to do, and got a look like I had three heads. Apparently I couldn't describe it in a way he understood. However, is a glaze going to smell?

This is a link to pictures of the kitchen, the wallpaper has already been removed.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2221628&l=5bd5e&id=17013592

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath