SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarakat_gw

granite installed today, purple dots?

SaraKat
12 years ago

Today we had granite installed in the laundry room:

black pearl - just gorgeous, rich, drop dead impact on the white cabinets and black multi color patterned wallpaper. It's a good thing : ) I've gotten so used to not liking anything in this reno or being let down so this was a nice surprise. They did almost cut out three holes instead of just one for the faucet but luckily I caught them in the nick of time. But then:

Upstairs bath: white river granite for Jack and Jill guest bath vanity was supposed to have 2 oval sinks. They made a mistake and did rectangle cutouts and brought these shallow rectangular sinks that I don't know if I like. I don't know how I ended up with rectangle. It's ok I guess, it was just a shock. The oval sinks were $40 less than the rectangle so it's $80 in my favor but it's such a modern look and they are bigger on my small 69 inch vanity top.

I don't like the white river granite upstairs. I didn't know they were going to cut it with the veins flowing front to back and not side to side. I want to cry. Why would they do that? Is this normal? I have not ever seen granite cut this way with the veins going from front to back. Not to mention the dots in it. I thought they were sort of a dark red but they are purple and a lot of them which I couldn't tell at the slab yard in the bright sun. I really wanted marble but just didn't want to put that much money in a guest bath (the white river was a remnant) and also worry about guests innocently damaging it. But now I will have to change the wallpaper, already up. My traditional bath is looking quite modern in there. It's not that it's not a pretty stone for someone else, it's just not for me and for the bedrooms it serves. One bedroom has a blue and white toile to one side and to the other side it is all done in warm kaki and dark reds.

I was thinking that a dark gray wallpaper might look nice with it and that might go with the blue bedroom and just sort of ignore the other bedroom to the other side. It's just that I wasn't planning on a total redo of the bathroom just now with doing all the other things but oh well. I'll get over it but it's going to take more effort and money to make it right and we are getting to the end of our reno budget. I am mad at myself for not taking more time but I thought how can you mess up gray and white granite? Purple dots! They aren't the cute tiny ones they are sort of big and prolific. It has zits!!! I know I am lucky to be getting to do all of this but I hate feeling like I was a bad steward of our limited budget...

Any suggestions as to how to save the guest bath with acne covered vanity?

Comments (36)