SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karena_2009

2nd guessing my granite selection--help

karena_2009
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am making good progress on my kitchen remodel and I'm nearing the final stretch. Last week, I managed to get the range hooked up, the refrigerator and dishwasher delivered and most everything squared away with the cabinet installation (except for the bread basket & hardware) so things are looking really, really fine.

Yesterday I had to go to Fairfield, about 1-1/2 hours from my home to pick out my granite slab at Duracite. They have been horrible to deal with, they didn't hold my initial selection for me, which I paid for in May (grrh). Then, they only had one bundle and wouldn't let me look at all of the slabs, they would only move three of them! Anyways, I've chosen a Sensa product and the granite is called Blanco Leblon AKA bianco romano, which I just love. However, I took my son with me and he thinks that I don't have enough contrast between the cream cabinets and the blanco lebon for the countertop. I think my DH and other son kind of agree with him, too. This has me second guessing my choice and I'm afraid of making a mistake. The problem is that there aren't a lot of slabs under the Sensa program. My second choice would have been Santa Cecilia, but there were no Santa Cecilia slabs and the other alternative was a dark Emerald green, but that just read too modern to me and I'm not crazy about dark countertops.

Things kind of evolved with my original choices. Originally, I was going with all stainless appliances, but decided on black appliances with stainless and brushed nickel accents because they were a better buy. So, I do have big punches of black against the cream cabinets now. I've also decided to do black cabinet hardware, so I will have another punch of black there.

Am I just stressing or will the off-white counter top be too matchy-matchy with the cream cabinets? I don't have a picture of the slab from yesterday as my camera battery ran out (ugh).

Too matchy matchy?
{{!gwi}}From Karen's Kitchen Project

Any suggestions, opinions, or ideas? The slab that I picked yesterday does have some good size garnet dots in it and some black, so it is somewhat dalmatian-like. I'm so scared of making a mistake!

Are there any rules to this? Should the granite counter top stand out and the backsplash recede into the background? I was thinking I could add some more splashes of color with porcelain tile. I think I want rhomboids in the range niche kind of in a harlequin pattern. I was thinking of a caramel with the off white. What say ye all of you decorating experts? I am so confused right now.

Comments (44)