SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
10kdiamond

I Totally Lost it Today....Boy, I Have the Worst Luck

10KDiamond
13 years ago

Last week's saga.....cabinet installer terminated due to poor quality work (crown molding 1/2 inch from ceiling and no show for 2 days). Cabinets had major problems to begin with which I worked for weeks to resolve. Replacement guy adeptly installs remainder of cabinets but needs to send Assistant to install hardware (3 types) today. I walk through 2 types of hw (pulls and knobs) with Assistant and then I do a conference call for work. During conference call Assistant installs cups incorrectly on 6 drawers! The hardware has these cool raised "artistic" "prongs" attached to the cups which Assistant thinks should be drilled flush into cabinets. Not. So now there are HUGE (I mean Mega Massive) holes in the six cabinet faces. Drawer fronts must be replaced. Installer readily accepts responsiblity, and yes, I know they will get fixed, but I am crushed.

And I lost it....seriously crawled into the empty under-cabinet dishwasher space, huddled in the fetal postion and sobbed uncontrollably for 20 minutes. Haven't cried that hard in 15 years. At least.

What gives? I am such a "together" person. I've always been able to deal with whatever life tossed me. A type-A, confident, seasoned senior professional in a very stressful job, full time mother, cancer survivor; I've dealt with tons of adversity in my life with ease and grace but this kitchen remodel has truly gotten the best of me.

I feel like this process has completely sucked my life away.

So I ask my fellow KF TKO-ers, especially those who have faced so much crap in their remodels, does the sour taste of remodel mishaps go away? Did you eventually love your kitchen after so much pain? I have so much sorrow towards the project right now. It's hard to imagine ever feeling good about it.

Comments (18)