SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Struggling with two incompatible elderly dogs

alisande
16 years ago

I'm being driven mad by two dogs that I love.

Angel is a 14-year-old Briard (or Briard mix...we found her as a puppy). She's never been very tolerant of other dogs, and she's had the house more or less to herself for a long time.

Wolfy is a 12-year-old husky-shepherd. My late daughter adopted him from the shelter when he was around two. Since his housetraining has never been all that reliable, he used to spend most of his nights outside in a doghouse. When he was in the house during the day (or on cold nights), we kept the two dogs on separate floors.

Wolfy has developed arthritis, and I knew I couldn't keep him outdoors for any significant period this winter. Plus he injured his paw this fall and had to stay indoors for that. So he's moved into the house permanently.

It took a couple of months before I could leave both dogs in the same room. Angel is profoundly deaf now, and sleeps a lot, but she's quick to express her anger if Wolfy bugs her. And Wolfy is the buggiest of dogs. He bugs me constantly....nudging my arm whenever I land in a chair .....standing when I stand, following me from room to room ......click-click-click go his nails on the wood floor. He bugs Angel by sniffing her and always being in her face. Or her butt. He has never been a laid-back dog.

They always seem to be aware of each other in a challenging way, and I think it's getting worse. I can't feed Wolfy his old treats because Angel's stomach can't handle them and the last thing we need around here is a food fight. (I feed them their meals in separate rooms, door closed.) But even when each dog has a stuffed toy, they seem to be jealous and want the other one. Today the two of them arrived at the water bowl at the same time and had a physical confrontation. I was standing right there so I stopped it immediately. But yesterday the same thing happened over something else, and Angel has a small laceration on her nose as a result.

At night I cut open a black plastic bag and lay it on the kitchen floor covered with newspapers. Wolfy is fairly good about using it. He stays downstairs, and Angel sleeps upstairs. Most of the time she manages the stairs okay. I don't know what I'll do if and when she can't.

I just want them to have some peace in their old age.....and me, too, in mine. It gets very tense around here from the effort of keeping them from doing each other harm. Any suggestions? I'm tired!

Thanks,

Susan

Comments (19)