SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quasifish

I am a mess, my dog isn't good

quasifish
17 years ago

I have a nearly 14 year old lab, Abby. She's looked like a senior the past year, but has remained happy and active.

Since Friday she has been going downhill, mostly not eating and looking weaker. Yesterday she stopped eating around noon and got "that look"- those of you who've lost elderly pets probably know what I'm talking about. I was going to make her an appointment today even though the prognosis seemed bad for a 14 yo lab.

In the middle of the night she quit walking- DH got up, found her, and brought her back to bed. She is breathing hard now, like congestive heart failure is setting in.

Since she's progressing so fast, part of me just wants to let her rest here until nature takes its course, the other part of me is worried about how long that may take and thinks I should go ahead and make an appointment for this afternoon. Her quality of life is gone and it seems she isn't going to get up again, but at the same time I don't want to put her through being dragged off to the vet if she will go peacefully and quickly here.

I just don't know what to do and am a mess right now. I've been up since 2 am crying, so thank you for listening this morning.

Q

Comments (14)