SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nobodyhasthisname2

Giant dog-friendly flooring

nobodyhasthisname2
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. We're in the very early stages of planning a new build and I need some help with flooring.

I have two giant dogs (one is 120lbs and the other is a 4 month old puppy weighing in at 45lbs). In our first house we purchased beautiful hardwood that the salesperson assured us was very scratch resistant - however it was completely destroyed by our first dog before he was even 6 months. He didn't so much scratch it, he actually gauged it. It was devastating.

In our current house, we have a very nice high end laminate that stands up very well to scratches, but not to any amount of moisture (we have a lot of spots that have expanded at the join and that's frustrating as well).

I like the idea of the luxury vinyl as it will stand up to dog nails and moisture, but I just haven't been able to find one that isn't easily recognizable as vinyl. The best one I saw installed was Karndean's hand scraped variety, but I didn't like the colour options.

We're also considering "wood look" tile with radiant heating, but I'm worried about the dogs slipping (our older dog has already blown one ACL and I'd prefer to avoid another $5K surgery if at all possible). Although there are some wood look tiles with some texture, I'm not sure it justifies the additional expense.

I'm just wondering if anyone has recommendations or other suggestions of what to look for in a wood-look non-wood flooring, or pictures/recommendations of really authentic wood looking vinyl floors, I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks

Comments (53)