SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Closing a thread with multiple postings.

moonie_57 (8 NC)
17 years ago

Whether I agree or disagree with a given topic, I don't like that someone else takes it upon themselves to close off a thread. The subject may seem beat to death but someone that hasn't contributed may come along who would like to add their own two cents worth. Perhaps with even a "cure" that would work for another pet owner.

If you don't like the topic, exercise finger control and don't click on it!

Comments (36)

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Once the powers that be catch wind of it, usually the poster gets banned. Permanently. That's something that's just not tolerated around here. I've seen several good people over the last two years get banned because their temper got the best of them, and they posted a couple dozen one word posts just to close a thread.

• webkat5
    17 years ago

You know guys...the last part of that thread (not sure you bothered to read it) was falling way off topic and getting pretty heated and accusatory in nature. If the OP (original poster) would like to resume that topic, they can very easily open a new thread.

By the way, I don't recall reading anywhere (check the Animal Debates main page) that it was against the rules to post more than once in a row to a thread. There isn't even anything about closing one out...huh.

If you would like to readdress the issue, please feel free to open a new thread.

• Related Discussions

How do I upload multiple images in one post?

Q

Comments (2)
    To upload multiple photos in the same post, you must get an account (free) from a place like photobucket.com and upload all your pics there. Then you copy the HTML CODE of the selected picture and come over here and paste the HTML CODE in the message box. (You need to click PREVIEW to see the pic.) Click on ENTER a couple times, go back to photobucket.com and copy the HTML CODE of another selected picture and insert it in the message box here. Repeat the process until you have inserted all the pics you desire. You can type before, in between, and after the pictures. OR--you use the Forum's method which allows you to insert one picture per post, but you go back to your thread and post a second time (one pic again), then go back to your thread and post a third time, etc. At least all the pics end up on the same thread. See the link below for my recent use of the Forum's method (because photobucket.com wasn't working right for me, for some reason.) Hope that helps. Here is a link that might be useful: Examples of re-posting on same thread
    ...See More

A way close a thread

Q

Comments (3)
    Some years back, i posted a tale of having plans for a camp kitchen, and i got inundated with pleas for the plans! With no way to remove an ad, after i got tired of it, I finally had to post another message, saying i was no longer sending out free plans! Even with that, i still got letters about free plans. And, it is about time to post another ad, saying no more plans! And, i still get questions, and even some nasty letters, asking how i could be so nasty about not sending plans!
    ...See More

Posting multiple pictures ... HOW???

Q

Comments (6)
    Pasting the photo HTML in the message box has worked for as long as I've been a member - since July 2007....so it's not a "new" thing. What's (relatively) "new" is the "image upload" that GardenWeb now has for the Kitchen's Forum. Regarding Photobucket and Privacy issues....each album has it's own privacy settings. I, for example, have all my Kitchen Remodel and Kitchen Design pics set to "Public". All other albums are set to "Private". Private albums are not accessible if you have public albums and post a link to a pic in a public album. In fact, private albums do not show up to the public so they don't know they're even there. As was mentioned b/f, the "Read Me" thread has instructions for posting pictures - plus a wealth of other information! Here is a link that might be useful: New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me!
    ...See More

Need help posting multiple pics

Q

Comments (3)
    aloha: there's a good explanation and screen shots to illustrate it in the "read me if you're new" thread, linked below. You need to first upload your photos into a sharing site like Webshots or Photobucket. (These are free.) Make sure if you use another site that the pictures don't require a password or logon. Both Webshots and Photobucket will provide the code to include the picture, as shown below. You just copy/paste it into your post. Before submitting your post, use the Preview button to make sure the pictures show. Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me Thread
    ...See More
  • Lillie1441
    17 years ago

I agree with moonie.
    I would never take it upon myself to close a thread as webkat did just because I thought it was getting off topic or "heated"! That is the job of the "powers that be",in my opinion.You are correct webkat,there are no rules that say we can't post more than once in a row or about closing one out.You just did it in a rather rude and childish way,simply because "you" decided it was getting off topic and heated.Isn't that what this forum is about?
    Ritamay-I would still like an answer as to why you were "hoping I would respond".I guess you can start a new thread for that one!........Lillie

• labmomma
    17 years ago

IMHO it was very rude to end the other thread the way it was done. I have witnessed some control issues, but this takes the cake.

While I agree the thread was getting off topic, which topic doesn't? I have seen us go around the world on a post, no one slaps another's hand. If that person wanted to open the cat peeing in the box, the poster was technically doing it by the rules by scanning a topic before posting a new one.

The threads end after the cut-off number of posts. I am really shaking my head this morning. I didn't understand at first since I pulled this thread up and then the other to see what the fuss was. Now I know...

I will say it again, why can't we be polite? Maybe that could be something to aim for in 2007. I know I have offended, been offended and for that I am sorry. Hands started moving before good manners interceded. Bad habit I am working on. For most of us, this is the time of year when you may take a look at things from the year about to close and maybe make a change or two.

I just don't understand the need to be rude. When someone opens an old thread, its a dead giveaway to a new person who is scanning all of the topics, and I know I probably did the same thing when I started lurking here. Should we welcome new people or should we make them feel unwanted and stupid? I vote for the former rather than the latter. Any takers?

• jancarkner
    17 years ago

I don't know what thread got pulled, and have only been here for a couple of weeks. I always figure that if it comes down to name-calling, the person has lost the argument and is basically reduced to sand-box behaviour. I commented (politely!) about a sensitive issue some time back ("support our troops") on the Ponds Conversations forum, and was immediately jumped on with several nasty responses, including name-calling... "bed-wetter" was my favourite (I'm 51 and a mother of three! Many years since I've wet my bed!) Perhaps this is a new term of insult that I'm not familiar with. Anyway, I stopped posting and noticed that Gardenweb pulled the thread and reprimanded the other posters which made me feel somewhat better even though these posters were furious at me, assuming I was at fault -- although I had not complained, so someone else must have. All this to say, I think debate is great, but insults only make that poster look ridiculous. (I stopped going to that forum as it was hostile to others as well)

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

I don't know what thread you all are talking about but I sort of disagree. I think if you start a topic you should be able to say enough is enough if it gets out of hand. And that is always the reason someone wants to shut it down.
    I started a topic not long ago in another one of the forums and it started to get rediculously off topic. It hit 150 posts and if anyone wanted to contribute to the real discussion they wouldn't be able to because they got locked out of the 150 message limit in the forum that it was in.
    I wish there was a way to not only delete the topic you start but also edit your posts. These are basic functions that most forums have and for good reason.

• ritamay91710
    17 years ago

Lillie1441,

Reread my post. I said "wondered", not "hoping".

• webkat5
    17 years ago

That is a really good idea quirky...many forums have editing capabilities designated for the OP of a thread.

The OP for that particular thread had not been back to "join the conversation" since October.

It was unmistakably getting rude and accusatory (others have e-mailed me wondering why that was allowed to continue)...it really needed a good "splashing of water" thrown on it.

This is the holiday season, guys....shake hands and smile at each other... :o)

• rivkadr
    17 years ago

It was unmistakably getting rude and accusatory (others have e-mailed me wondering why that was allowed to continue)...it really needed a good "splashing of water" thrown on it.

Not your place to do it.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

What praytell is the topic that has caused so much grief?

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Nevermind I found it. LOL
    That's one way to end it.

• joepyeweed
    17 years ago

I think it is pretty normal for threads to stray off topic and that is okay. This isn't the big brother garden forum where every conversation has to stay on topic and every post has to be in happy agreement with everyone else. (If you want that type of forum it already exists and you can go there...)

I think it is rude for someone to take it upon themselves to end a thread. So what if its off topic and argumentative, just don't read it.

Even so, it was amusing...webkat must have a lot of spare time :-)

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

webkat, you're lucky to still be posting in here. I know of someone who did the same thing as you, for the same reasons, and got banned. For any of you who used to hang out in the kitchens forum, her name was elsiecat. Within 2 hours of closing out the thread, she was permanently banned.

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Hmmmm, Bill, wasn't aware of that.

If it is against the rules, I sure can't find it printed anywhere.

Maybe that person approached the situation in an agressive manner?

I am glad, however, that it seems as though the spirit of this forum has changed direction somewhat... :o)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone getting banned for simply closing off a thread. It might not seem the right thing to do to some of us, but it sure isn't a major offense in my opinion, even though I don't like it.

The topic DID get heated and way off base, but new posters did come along and contribute from time to time. But, what's done is done and now I have to agree with webkat... let's shake hands and smile. :)

The pet and the debate forums are great.. the best I've come across, with terrific posters and lots of invaluable information, contributed by many different posters. Let's remember that and play nice.

• vacuumfreak
    17 years ago

I hadn't been to the forum in a couple days and was shocked to see the way that thread was closed. This is a great debate, but a needless one. People with common sense (and things to do... like a LIFE), would not have elicited this thread by engaging in the behavior that inspired it! How terrible. Someone who does that should be instantly banned! May it never happen again.

• Lillie1441
    17 years ago

Reread my post. I said "wondered", not "hoping".
    Sorry Ritamay,I did read that wrong,but still am wondering why you were wondering? LOL
    I will be off line for a few days getting my computer worked on.Don't know how long it will take but if I'm not back before Christmas everyone have a blessed one!.....Lillie

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Gee guys! i did'nt know you could close out a thread. Please!!! don't anyone tell me how,i don't want to know.
    We are all very passionate about our pets and i've learned a lot here and i've ranted some but i never go back to that thread most of the time because i've had my say and someone else can rant and it won't hurt my feelings.
    I 'm making a resolution to be much kinder next year.

I really like this forum.
    oakleif

• giterdun1
    17 years ago

I read with interest the thread that was closed. That thread was a dead horse that was just still being beaten imho.
    Had the rudeness and cruelty ben reported earlier, then who knows who might have gotten banned as a result.
    imho several posters were out of line with there rudeness and cruelty and had the powers that be read or been aware of them probably the thread would have got chopped up and members would have been warned or banned entirely, just depending on their rap sheet here.
    I have read a bit about that spike person and think he would have just sent a lot of members to Disney. He gave no warnings I hear.
    Maybe the person who closed the post did a good thing for some members here.
    Maybe it would have been better for someone to have reported all the rudeness and cruelty in the thread. Maybe members getting warned or banned would have been the best thing.
    I won't be surprised if this is not the end of it, as heads roll.
    maybe, maybe, maybe
    just mho

Merry Christmas!
    and
    Happy Holidays!
    to the rest of you
    Steve

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone getting banned for simply closing off a thread. It might not seem the right thing to do to some of us, but it sure isn't a major offense in my opinion, even though I don't like it.

moonie, think about it. On every issue, especially as controversial as some are that we address in this forum, there are going to be passionate views on both sides. What happens when every time someone doesn't like the tone of the way a thread is going, they go ahead and shut it down with multiple posts, or any other way, for that matter? The forum would go right down the tubes in no time.

Take the PETA thread, for example. A woman named Lily that comes in here is an advocate for PETA, and I'm sure she doesn't appreciate the way that organization has been bad mouthed. So now, (hypothetically) she closes it down with multiple posts. Maybe the same thing with the sheep thread. Can you see where this leads?

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Then, I guess, more threads will open up.

Maybe they should list that in the instructions...I certainly wouldn't have done it if it were listed there...

If, however, the post had continued where it was headed, it could have been removed entirely. Now, as it stands, it is left to still be searched and researched.

As giterdun so elegantly stated...it was like beating a dead horse...no new info, just more of the same bickering back and forth.

• joepyeweed
    17 years ago

"13. Posting merely to manipulate the position of a message is forbidden".

This is targeted towards "bump" to move a thread up, but it also could mean multiple posts just to close a thread...

If someone complains to GW staff, webkat would get a warning email with a copy of the user agreement.
    GW staff just hasn't noticed it yet.

And technically everyone who posts on this thread has the potential to get a warning or a banning
    " 24. Users disagreeing with these rules or wanting clarification of their meaning, or have other questions about the administration of the forums, should address their concerns directly to our staff. Anyone who wishes to make a public display of their unwillingness, or perceived inability, to follow the rules, or who wishes to use our site as a platform to protest any aspect of the site's administration, will be immediately banned from our forums.

1. Users objecting to another user's posting should likewise address their concerns directly to our staff."

I would not be surprised if this thread and the other thread are not deleted soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb User AGreement

• emma12
    17 years ago

I read the post you all have been talking about for the first time. It did kinda go on and on. ..The thing I got out of it..the woman with 80 cats and relatively few problems. It blows my mind. With eight cats, I sometimes forget their names when one is misbehaving, but do you have names for them all? When I do wet food in the morning with the eight, there is a protocol to follow. Two eat on the counter and are fed first. Third goes to old guy and he gets the most and then little guy and then mom and daughter who get less because they are fat and then Maddie who is 14 and gets more than the others and finally finicky Izzy who gets very little. Then I need to see who didn't eat it all so I can give to the two old cats. The rest of the time it's okay since they freefeed. I learned something from that extended posting. I should clean the upstairs big box more than once a day. There are seven more in the basement but this one gets the most use and one or two cats sometimes poop beside it. Maybe they want it totally clean at all times. Maybe they want me to be their slave??

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

joepyweed, where did you find this users agreement; I looked for it the other day and couldn't figure out where it was !!!

• micke
    17 years ago

emma, I had a cat (a tortishell siamese cross, maybe some ragdoll thrown in) who if she went in her box one time it had to be cleaned or she would go right outside of it, the fix? one of those automatic cat cleaning boxes, expensive but worth it, cats happy, I am happy:)

• emma12
    17 years ago

Micke, A friend suggested the very thing you did, an automatic cleaning litter box. I have heard not so good things about them. I may do some research..

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

This is a debate forum; I found it quite ironic to see the thread put to bed in such an adolescent way.

• webkat5
    17 years ago

That thread was no longer a debate, mitchdesj.

Almost finished with the thesis....

• rivkadr
    17 years ago

It still doesn't matter if it was or was not a debate, in YOUR eyes. It was not YOUR decision to close it. It was highhanded, and completely out of place for you to close it. I own several websites myself and your account would be long gone for your behavior. Frankly, I think you should be banned for what you did.

• the_adams
    17 years ago

Webkat - Perhaps in the future you should report the thread to the moderators if you think it is out of line. They are the ones who own/manage this forum and ultimatly it should be their decision if a post should be allowed to continue.

If they agree with you, great! If they don't then don't view that thread anymore, perhaps after posting a final post that asks the other members to no longer reply to the post as it is off topic.

Either way, you do not own the forum and if those who do decide they want to allow people to use their forums for "off topic" discusion that is their decision, not yours.

Cheers!

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas, everyone!!

:-)

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

The point is YOU don't decide that; other people might have wanted to debate.
    Threads often take a detour and come back on track, it's the nature of the beast.

• rivkadr
    17 years ago

Looks like the mods fixed the original thread in question -- the thread index still lists 150 replies, but if you go in and read the thread, webkat's responses have been removed.

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Yes, it has been like that for a few days now...since the 21st.

Happy Holidays everyone!

May Peace and Joy fill your hearts!

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Amen to that, webkat. Merry Christmas. :-)

• Lillie1441
    17 years ago

Emma-My DD has 4 cats and one of the automatic litter boxes.Loves it! Never any "accidents" and more economical as litter doesn't have to be changed as often.Check out E-Bay for possible cheaper prices.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus