SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

favorite way to do rice?

vacuumfreak
16 years ago

I'm eating a little more rice these days and I'm just wondering how to make such a boring food a bit more interesting. I finished up all the white rice I had and replaced it with one bag of yellow and another of brown. What is your favorite kind of rice and your favorite thing to do with it? Last night I was making rice and hopped on the CF. I forgot about it and when I returned it was mush... except the bottom which was burned to the pan. A friend told me that there is actually a Spanish word for the rice that burns to the bottom of the pan! Whenever I make rice, I think of the Lucy epidsode where Ricky had rice cascading down the stove onto the floor and was picking it up with a dust pan!

Do you cook it on the stove, in a rice cooker, or in the microwave? I cook it on the stove always. Sometimes I fry it after it's boiled. I usually just add garlic, onion, salt, pepper, peas, and carrots. It's good, but I'm ready for a change. Thanks!

Comments (41)

• User
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are the directions I posted to another thread some time ago. Give this way a try Bobby. Once you do you will see how easy it is to have perfect rice every time.

" No one loves kitchen gadgets and appliances more than I do, but a rice cooker is just something that I have never had a desire for. I love rice and we have it quite often. It is probably one of the easiest things to cook. Especially if you cook it the same way you cook pasta. I learned this method almost 30 years ago. Bring a large pot of water to boil, add salt, add one or two cups or rice (or more) cook for 7 to 10 minutes depending on the type of rice. Do a taste test to see if the rice is almost tender. Should still have a bit of a "bite" to it, al detente like pasta. When it does, just strain it and put the rice back into the pot and cover with either paper towels or a tea towel, plus the lid and leave it to rest for 5 or 10 minutes while you prepare the rest of the dinner. It will continue to steam and finish cooking. When ready to serve just fluff it with a fork. Perfect rice every time. This methods works for every type of rice. Brown, wild, long grain, basmati, etc.. Basmati rice is probably the rice that I cook most often and it takes less time to cook than other white rices."

Ann

• lindac
    16 years ago

I cook mine in the microwave most often...I love basmati.
    In a covered 2 qt micro safe container, place 1/2 cup of rice ( for 2 servings) and 1 cup of water...bring to a boil (90 seconds in my micro) and turn off....let sit for about 10 minutes, bring to a boil again and let it sit for another 10 minutes or so...salt lightly, fluff with a fork ands erve.
    I cook brown rice on the stove top...slowly in a heavy le Cruset pan....same proportions of rice to liquid...but I often use chicken broth instead.
    How about risotto? Yunny!
    Or lazy man's risotto...
    1T butter
    1 t olive oil
    2 T finely chopped onion
    1/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms
    1 crushed clove garlic
    Cook all until soft...add
    1 cup brown rice
    2 cups chicken broth ( or 1 can and enough water to make up 2 cups) and about 2 oz white wine if you have some open.
    Stir, cover and simmer about 20 minutes until rice is tender...you may add a little more water if it's cooked dry before the rice is cooked....check it often!
    When the rice is cooked ( taste it!) and most of the liquid has boiled away....stir in
    1/4C. (or more) Fresh grated parm...stir and enjoy.
    I don't think it needs more salt, but you may.
    Linda C

• Related Discussions

Honey Char Siu in Rice Cooker, I am half way there

Q

Comments (23)
    FOAS, the last batch of my char siu bao I used a recipe from a book "Dim Sum, The Art of Chinese Tea Lunch" by Ellen Leong Blonder. When I first saw the book I was not impressed with the cover and presentation. It has that kind of humble appearance that doesn't attract one's attention immediately. After reading the book and trying out a couple of recipes, I became very impressed. As always, I modified her recipes for my own convenience. This is what I did for a bao dough: Make a sponge: 2 tsp active dry yeast 1 C lukewarm water 1/2 C sugar 1-1/2 C cake flour (I used part unbleached** and part cornstarch to make 1-1/2 C of flour mix) The recipe suggested proofing the yeast in warm water for 10 minutes prior to making the sponge, but I skipped this part. I knew my yeast was good so no need to do that. I simply added everything together, stir to smooth, let sit in a warm, draft-free place for an hour. To make the dough: 1/2 tsp salt 1 T rice vinegar (I used white vinegar) 2 C cake flour (once again, I used unbleached**/cornstarch mix), plus about 1/4 C for dusting the board 1 T baking powder 1/4 tsp baking soda (I skipped this) 1 TBSP vegetable shortening (Traditional Chinese buns used lard; I had some so I used it) ** If you don't want yellow-ish buns, you may want to use AP flour instead of unbleached. Even AP flour won't give you that bright white Chinese buns we see in restaurants, but AP flour definitely will produce whiter color than unbleached. For very white buns, you will need to use special flour i.e. Hong Kong flour, for the best results.** Stir the salt and vinegar into the sponge starter. In another bowl, sift together the 2 C cake flour (or the flour mix), baking powder, and baking soda (none for me). Stir the flour mixture into the yeast mixture. When combined, add the shortening (lard) and work it in with your fingers. The dough will become a sticky, somewhat shaggy mass. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured board and knead it for about 15 minutes, or until smooth, adding flour as necessary. Grease a clean, large bowl with a little shortening, place the dough in the bowl, and cover it with a damp cloth or plastic wrap. Let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour. (If you have made a bao filling ahead and refrigerated it, take it out now to let it come back to room temperature.) Lightly punch the dough down, and then proceed to shape the dough for wrapping. This recipe will yield 18 large or 24 medium buns, depends on the size you want. Placed wrapped buns on wax paper (2-3 inch squares), at least 1" apart, in steamer (I used bamboo) and let rise for 30 minutes. Bring the water in the steamer to a boil over high heat. Steam a single tier of buns at a time (I used two tiers together), over high heat for 12 (15 for me) minutes. Repeat 2 or 3 batches, if you steam one tier at a time, until all buns are steamed. Serve hot. I've built a unbleached flour sourdough starter last week and this morning it looked ready. I am playing with it now to see if I can make sourdough char siu bao with unbleached/rice flour. So far the dough looks very soupy. I am not going to add more flour until the dough has risen to double. If in four hours the dough is still spongy I will add more flour into it. Since this is sourdough, it will take 7-8 hours to get the dough ready. Probably won't know the outcomes until tonight. Even if this doesn't work out, I will learn something from the experiment and have fun with it. Keep smiling! Cheers! Al
    ...See More

Grilling eggplant - what is your favorite way?

Q

Comments (6)
    I usually do it in the oven, but I do the same thing for outdoors. I used to salt the eggplant, since I was taught that way, but I find that if you have a good firm eggplant that sounds hollow when you thump it, but still has a nice dark skin, you don't get enough joy from salting and squeezing and draining and all of that to make it worthwhile. If it's softer, I'll just flame or broil the heck out of it (fork the skin all over first to vent the steam, until it's all charry and sunken floppy and roasty toasty goodness. For grilling, I think firm eggplant works a lot better, but it takes a long time to cook and you have to be patient. I slice 1/2-3/4", and put my seasoning (sometimes with dried herbs) into a little oil in a bowl or pie plate and coat. You can just brush or spray. I find my way easier, if messier, but it's important to have enough oil that it doesn't stick, but don't leave it sit in oil or it'll soak it up. I guess what I do is more like the motion of dregging. Just kind of swing it through and make sure it's coated. It's also important to leave it on long enough, like meat, so that the bits that touch are caramelized and it releases. Anyway, once coated, onto the grill or grill pan. I know there's a new school of thought for eating eggplant firm. If you're in that camp, salting might help you. It's at its yummiest, however, when it's mushy and looks like snot. The slices should evaporate well on the grill (which is so much easier than trying to get them to weep!!), and shrink. If you want them to remain slices, however, it's important to get them off before they turn into goo and fall into the fire. Cooked through, but still with some internal integrity. Otherwise, you could have just roasted them whole. For skinny Japanese or Italian eggplants, I also cut them into spears--they do have to be skinny though, because you want skin on each spear. Then oiled the same way but with stronger seasonings (not essential, just what I do), and a little lighter on the oil, though maybe a little extra on the skin side. Seasoning may be garlic pepper, or herbs and citrus, or sumac (or zataar which has a lot of sumac in it). Grill/roast the spears skin side down until the flesh is all shrivelled up. OMG!! Most yummiest ever. You need to do a lot of them, though, because they tend to disappear. They're also good cold, so don't count on any left for another purpose. :) Have fun! The only wrong way to do eggplant, really, is undercooked. Then it's disgusting.
    ...See More

Favorite way to do short ribs?

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Sharon:Havn't talked to you for awhile I'll have to a lot of catchup. Emily : Here is an old Favorite recipe: LouÂs Broiled Spare Ribs and Finger Licking Good , Sauce I use Country Style or Sizzlers , cut a little thicker than ½ inch For about 3 ½ lb. of meat. Put a pot of water to boil, on the range top, with just enough water To cover the Ribs. Add: 1/3 teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning , Garlic Powder and Onion Powder. An Italian pinch of Ground Cloves , Basil and Oregano 1/4 Teaspoon of Black Pepper 2 Bay leaves Simmer for about 25 minutes If IÂm going to make Spaghetti Sauce later, IÂll save this stock to thin the Tomatoes and Puree Meanwhile, put in a small bowl : 1/2 cup of Bullseye or Krafts Original Barbecue Sauce 1/2 cup of Ketsup 1/2 teaspoon of Mustard ¼ teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning 1/3 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder, Onion Powder A pinch of Cloves , Basil and Oregano Black Pepper - to taste. 2 tablespoons of Brown Sugar and Maple or Pancake Syrup 2 Heaping tablespoons of Grape Jelly and Strawberry Jam Smooth out the Jelly and Jam with a fork and mix well. This may sound like overpowering sweetness but it is not. I use a 9x 13 SS pan and lay some Sauce on the bottom. Then I lay in the simmered Spare Ribs and spoon the Sauce on them. If there is some sauce left over , save it for basting when the ribs are almost done. I cook them in an electric range Broiler, set on Low, Placed on a shelf about 8 inches below the burner. They will cook in about 25 minutes. Test after 20 minutes Ummmmmmmeemm Gooooooooood !!!!!!!! Here is some feedback I recieved: Lou's Finger Licking Good Sauce - Wow! clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by tammyct (My Page) on Sat, Aug 18, 07 at 20:24 Tonight I made Lou's Broiled Spare Ribs with the Finger Licking Good Sauce and what a hit the sauce was with my husband and I. It carmelized up beautifully and was a so goo-ey and and tasty. Not too sweet either. I think I'll try it on the grill with pork baby back ribs. Thanks again!
    ...See More

What's your favorite way to decorate homemade marshmallows?

Q

Comments (2)
    Caramel Marshmallow Treats 5 cups crisp rice cereal coarsly crushed 1 can sweetened condensed milk 1 14 oz package caramels 1 cup butter, cubed 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 tsp vanilla 1 16 oz pkg large marshmallows (or homemade) 1. Line two baking sheets with waxed paper; set aside. Place cereal in a shallow bowl. In a large saucepan, cook and stir the milk, caramels, and butter over low heat until meted and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in the cinnamon and vanilla. 2. With a toothpick, dip each marshmallow into warm caramel mixture; turn to coat completely. Press marshmallow bottoms in cereal; place on prepared pans. Let stand until set. My notes: I use crushed pecans instead of cereal. They look nice on a tray each with decorative toothpick.
    ...See More
  • User
    16 years ago

I put 4 cups of water, 2 cups rice, 2 Tbsp. butter (salt if desired) into the pot and bring to a boil. Turn it down and cook about 15 minutes, remove from burner and set it on a cool burner and the rice absorbs the rest of the water. Fluff with fork.

When I was a child, we did not get desserts often. So leftover rice was sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, pour a little milk (or cream) over and WaLa ... dessert :)

• san_
    16 years ago

i love risotto, whether it's done with spinach or mushrooms as the flavorings and always have a box of arborio rice on hand.

if that doesn't suit you and you have plain white rice, spoon some greek tomato sauce over it just before serving--ted loves that and it is a nice change!

Greek Tomato Sauce -- The Frugal Gourmet

Saut
    3 T olive oil
    1 clove garlic
    1 chopped onion

Add:
    5 chopped tomatoes (about 4 C)
    2 T parsley
    1 tsp oregano
    pinch of allspice
    1 C red wine
    8 oz can of tomato sauce
    a pinch of cinnamon
    salt & pepper

simmer together at least 30 minutes. Freezes well.

• san_
    16 years ago

because i haven't made it in the last year or two but i think the flavors are fabulous--perhaps you'll give it a try and really enjoy it too.

Porcini Risotto Cakes with Tarragon

½ ounce dried porcini mushrooms
    3 T butter
    2/3 C finely chopped onion
    1 C Arborio rice
    3 ½ C low-salt chicken broth
    ½ C chopped carrot (I omit this)
    1/3 C freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
    4 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
    1 large egg, beaten
    tarragon sprigs (for garnish)

Place porcini in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand about 30 minutes, then rinse and drain well. Chop the mushrooms and set aside.

Melt 2 T butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté about 3 minutes. Add rice and stir 2 minutes. Mix in 3 C chicken broth. Add mushrooms and chopped carrot (if using) and simmer until the risotto is very thick and the rice is tender, stirring frequently for about 18 minutes. (add remaining broth in ¼ cupfuls if rice needs additional cooking) Mix in the cheese and chopped tarragon and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the egg. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Form mixture into six, 3 to 3/12" patties using about ½ C of risotto for each. (I make them into about 2" patties. They dont fall apart as easily and they look better that way to me.) Melt 1 T butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat (a well-seasoned cast iron pan works fine and I turn up the heat to medium high for the first minute or two of cooking and then turn it down to medium) and cook until brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to plates and garnish with tarragon sprigs.

Serves 6
    Bon Appetit, April 1995

• daylilydayzed
    16 years ago

I use the parboiled rice that the brand of Uncle Ben's uses. I use twice the amount of water to the amount of rice I am cooking and bring the water to a boil with a small amount of butter in the water. I dump in my rice and stir it. I turn the heat to medium low and cook for 5 minutes without a lid. At the end of the 5 minutes I place a lid on the pot and cook for another 5 minutes. At the end of the second 5 minute period Turn off the heat. Let the pot sit undisturbed for 25 minutes while you finish the rest of the meal. When ready to serve, fluff with fork and serve.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

The following two recipes are ones I make a lot. Everyone (even the picky kids) seem to like them.

Harvest Rice

1/2 cup slivered almonds
    2 cups chicken broth
    1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
    1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 onions, sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 cup dried cranberries
    2/3 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
    1/2 teaspoon orange zest
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    1 Place almonds on an ungreased baking sheet. Toast at
    350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 5 to 8 minutes.
    2 Mix broth, brown rice, and wild rice in a medium
    saucepan, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and
    simmer 45 minutes, until rice is tender and broth is absorbed.
    3 In medium skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
    Add onions and brown sugar. Saute until butter is absorbed
    and onions are translucent and soft. Reduce heat, and cook
    onions for another 20 minutes, until they are caramelized.
    4 Stir cranberries and mushrooms into the skillet. Cover,
    and cook 10 minutes or until berries start to swell. Stir
    in almonds and orange zest, then fold the mixture into
    the cooked rice. Salt and pepper to taste.

Gourmet Mushroom Risotto
    Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 30 Minutes Ready In: 50 Minutes
    Yields: 6 servings

"This authentic Italian-style risotto is cooked the slow, painful way, but it's oh so worth it. It's the perfect complement for grilled meats and chicken dishes."
    INGREDIENTS:
    6 cups chicken broth, divided
    3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1 pound portobello
    mushrooms, thinly sliced
    1 pound white mushrooms,
    thinly sliced
    2 shallots, diced
    1 1/2 cups Arborio rice 1/2 cup dry white wine
    sea salt to taste
    freshly ground black pepper to
    taste
    3 tablespoons finely chopped
    chives
    4 tablespoons butter
    1/3 cup freshly grated
    Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a saucepan, warm the broth over low heat.
    2. Warm 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms and their liquid, and set aside.
    3. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet, and stir in the shallots. Cook 1 minute. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 2 minutes. When the rice has taken on a pale, golden color, pour in wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed. Add 1/2 cup broth to the rice, and stir until the broth is absorbed. Continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes.
    4. Remove from heat, and stir in mushrooms with their liquid, butter, chives, and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

**** Note - I often omit the parmesan and it is very tasty that way too....

• kframe19
    16 years ago

Oh my...

One of my favorite ways to eat rice is straight from the cooker...

No butter, no salt, no nothing. Just straight rice.

I LOVE it.

I use short and medium grain rice. I LIKE mushy, sticky rice for some reason. I don't know why, but I like it a lot more than all those little kernels of long-grain rice that try to escape across the plate and onto the table.

Another of my favorite ways to eat rice is with a little butter and sprinkled with Thai Fish Sauce. Pungent, salty, and incredibly good.

If someone told me I could never, ever have potatoes again, I'd be a little miffed, but not all that upset.

If someone told me I could never have rice again? I'd likely kill the person.

• pranjal
    16 years ago

LOL Kframe, you're like me! I could have rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner for months on end!

I've been lurking on the CF for quite some time, saw this post and just had to de-lurk :) I'm Indian, settled in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the UAE. I and DH are owned by 5 cats. I enjoy reading your posts ... I heard of Sloppy joes here for the first time, I love the posts on baking the most; one of these days I'm gonna try the no-knead bread ... and the WFD pics just take my breath away ... I'm not sure I'd let anyone touch those meals if I made them LOL

Here's some of my fave ways to cook rice (I apologise if the spluttering mustard seeds make you gag, I'm not sure if there's a lot of Indian food enthusiasts here) :

Mushy yoghurt rice: Add yoghurt to mushy rice,mix well. Heat oil in a small skillet, add mustard seeds, chopped garlic, coriander leaves, green chilli. Let brown. Add this to the rice mix, add salt to taste ... yummmmm!

Biryani rice: Wash one cup rice, add 5-6 cups water, 1tbsp vinegar, some cloves, cardamoms, black pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, bay leaf and bring to a nice rolling boil. When done al dente, drain water, transfer rice to a buttered, heavy bottomed pot, add a few blobs of butter on top of the rice as well, sprinkle coriander/herbs of choice on top, some saffron strands if desired, cover tightly with foil and a heavy lid, pop into preheated oven and let cook 15-20 minutes. Enjoy this deliciously nutty flavoured rice with non-veg gravy dishes. For maximum impact, bring the rice pot to the dinner table straight from the oven and open it only when everyone's seated LOL Never fails to elicit cries of delight from the family!

Leftover fluffy rice: Heat a bit of oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add mustard seeds, let crackle, add cumin seeds, chopped or bruised garlic, chopped onion, a pinch of turmeric, and chillies if desired. Let fry for a while, add the leftover rice, sprinkle a little water, and keep stirring until the water's gone. I love this for breakfast on Sundays.

:( All this is making me very hungry, but I'm on a no-carb diet for 3 days ... and other times too, I'm not supposed to have more than 8tbsp cooked rice.

Bobby, thanks for making me de-lurk! Give Jasper and the babies a nose-kiss for me!

Cheers,
    Pranjal

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

I'm another who has always cooked rice as though it were pasta, filling a large pot with water, adding salt and a few drops of oil, lid on pot and when it boils, adding the rice (not putting the lid back on though). Timing depends on the type of rice, from Basmati or long grain...about 11 minutes, pudding or short grain, about 20 minutes, to brown rice, around 30 minutes. You just have to taste a grain or two to see if it's cooked to your taste.....al dente or cooked through. Once cooked, drain rice through strainer, return to pot, add S & P, oil or butter and fluff with fork. This is a no-fail method.

Link to the absorption method is below. I never do rice that way.

Here's a favourite dish served in Spanish homes and restaurants. The rice is often coloured with a yellow food colouring powder.

{{gwi:2082575}} (a Spanish recipe)

Serves 4

1 cup long grain rice
    2 ounces (about 2 slices) serrano ham or prosciutto, diced
    1 fresh spring onion
    1 ripe tomato
    1 cup peas
    1 red bell pepper
    3 cloves garlic
    3/4 cup diced Emmental (Swiss) cheese
    6 TBS olive oil
    oregano - about 1 teasp dry or to taste
    salt - to taste
    2 1/2 cups of boiling water

Cast iron pan or casserole that can be used both on stovetop and in oven.
    If you don't have one, then use a frying pan to start and then transfer food to an oven-proof casserole to finish.

1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Finely dice the spring onion, tomato, red pepper and garlic into a brunoise.
    (You Tube video here) shows how to cut vegetables into a brunoise.

3. Heat the 6 TBS oil in frying pan and saute the vegetables you have just diced.
    When they are golden, add the ham and rice and mix well. Season with oregano and salt.
    Boil the water.

4. Add the boiling water to the frying pan and let all cook together for 10 - 15 minutes or
    until rice is tender. Add the peas and the diced cheese. If the pan is ovenproof, put it into the preheated oven.
    If not, transfer food to oiled ovenproof casserole....and put into oven.

5. Cook for 10 minutes in oven then remove and let dish rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Source: translated from:Consumer.es Eroski

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking Rice - Absorption Method

• User
    16 years ago

Biryani rice

...oh, I have to try this one. The Spice Hound has saffron, when I go to the farmers market next week I will pick some up.

Thanks Pranjal :)

• granjan
    16 years ago

Well, I'm not much for rice except for the ethnic food that really needs it. And I love the smell and sound of popping mustard seeds. (I think most of us don't make a lot of Indian or Thai food because it is not as quick for us to make as more familiar styles.)

My favorite thing for rice is Yoghurt. Plain is fine but cucumber raita and rice makes me actually crave rice! i make it even for Middle Eastern food.

Raita

1 large cucumber, halved, seeded, and diced (Salt and drain if you have time)
    2 cups plain yogurt (Greek is the best)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon plus pinch of cayenne pepper
    Salt and pepper

Stir together. Amounts are approximate!

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Why Pranjal, nice to see you over here from the pets forum! Welcome. Give Simba and Max a hug for me! A few of the people are the same (Acorn, Alison, and Weed30 come to mind), but I really enjoy this forum more than any other. Hopefully you will chime in often!

Thanks for the tips... I can't wait to try them out!

Kfame19, that's pretty passionate!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I'm totally into Jasmine rice right now..I love rice..Like Mike, straight out hot and plain is the bestest!

I like it somewhat sticky, but still seperate...(Make sense?) LOL

• bunnyman
    16 years ago

My favorite way to cook rice is to boil a couple cups of water and then stir in some rice. Turn the heat off and let it sit covered for about 20 minutes... perfect and never burnt. Rice to water ratio takes a time or two to get but no serious problem. Throw a bay leaf in the water to give it a twist. Worth getting the hang of because it is so fool proof as the heat is off while it is cooking.

Hot sauce, fish sauce, and soy sauce to taste. Veggies, mushrooms, and crumbled hamburger if I have them. Squeeze of lemon juice for a zing. A common lunch for work because it heats in a microwave nice. A little curry paste warmed up in coconut milk makes a nice sauce... sprinkle a little shredded coconut on top for a sweet hot spicy dish. Can't forget red beans and rice with lots of hot sauce. A scrambled egg sometimes. So easy to doctor up a rice dish with stuff.

Put me as a Jasmine fan but basamati is right up there. While I usually think expensive rice is still cheap I've not broken down and paid the $6 a pound to try texamati.

: )
    lyra

• eandhl
    16 years ago

vacuumfreak, you might want to try a bit of Braggs Aminos from a health food store on your rice. It is loaded with protein. I also like it on some veggies.

• jclepine
    16 years ago

Geeze, so many good recipes!
    Personally, I think I could live on rice forever...every day a different way or even just plain.
    I prefer basmati or jasmine and brown and wild come in second.
    I always add to a sauce pot one part rice and two parts water. I set the covered pot on an electric stove top that is cool and turn it on to full. As soon as I hear bubbling and there is steam coming from under the lid, I turn the burner to the near lowest setting. On my stove, that is between 1 and 2. I wait until my other food is done, which magically always turns out to be the right time.
    I think for the white basmati or jasmine, takes about 30 to 40 minutes once I turn the heat down. For brown or wild, it takes about 50 to 55 minutes.
    My favourite rice dish is probably something that was insipired by kitcheree (kedgery??) which I found in a vegetarian recipe book. Basically, it is rice with lentils, tomato paste, spices, ghee or butter onion and garlic.
    Each time I make rice I:
    a. eat some from the pot before adding anything to it.
    b. use the leftovers for rice pudding.

Another way I was taught was to put rice in a sauce pot and stick your index finger in, measuring the rice up to the first joint. Then, add water until it is up to the second joint. This never failed me, but I think it is easier to measure.

Another favourite way of cooking rice is to use low fat coconut milk. It makes a great side dish to thai food and it makes an even better rice pudding later.

Rice!!

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

Pranjal --

I'm glad you came out of lurking and posted, since your fluffy rice sounds fantastic to me -- I love toasted mustard seeds and Indian food in general. Am sitting here at the computer with a bowl of brown lentil daal right now -- think I will make your rice dish tomorrow at lunchtime to go with the leftovers!

Emily

• dlundin
    16 years ago

The Spanish name for rice that is stuck to the bottom of the pan is literally "stuck," if I recall correctly. I'd ask my Puerto Rican mother but she's asleep right now. It is a delicacy and we used to fight over a bit of that when we were kids. It's like it's delicately crunchy fried, just a very light color on the bottom of the pan. It's delicious. My relatives in Puerto Rico also made it. I'm not sure but it seems like it's a happy accident to get some.

• lindac
    16 years ago

I had a hurry up meal last night when a friend stopped over....slapped a hunk of Salmon inti the oven and put a cup of rice,2 cups water, about 2 teaspoons of chicken boullion granules ( I know!!) maybe a tablespoon of dry parsley chopped, 1/4 tsp garlic powder. 1/2 tsp or so celery seed...chopped one slice of the onion I was using for the salad and added that, a generous pinch of curry powder...some salt....and popped into the micro for 2 minutes....let it sit for about 10 minutes, gave it another 2 minute micro zap...got the salmon out....plated the peas.....and fluffed the rice, added a lump of butter and a sprinkle of salt.....and it was wonderful.
    My most unsophisticated guest asked how I got the rice to not taste so "blah"...
    I guess my advice would be....cook stuff in with the rice!! Doesn't much matter what....just put something in there!!

• moosemac
    16 years ago

I cook brown rice in chicken broth. When it's just about done, I add chopped spinach (fresh or frozen, squeezed dry), lemon juice, parmesan cheese, salt & pepper and maybe some butter....Rice Florentine. Don't let the spinach get over cooked. This is the only way I can get my family to eat spinach.

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Kframe, is that the Asian-style short-grain rice you are talking about?

I threw out my rice cooker because it was so old and big. Now I cook small portions in a small pot, since DH doesn't eat it much.

The Asian short grain is what I grew up with. One of my favorites. But it is tricky to cook on the stove top and needs constant supervision. If you like this rice, buy a rice cooker - really!

Recently I make Trader Joe's Jasmine rice. It's very fast and easy-cooking. I heat the pot, add olive oil and the rice and saute it for a minute, then add already boiled water (from my electric kettle), cover and simmer on low heat until the water is almost gone, stir it with a fork and taste it. If it's too al-dente, I add a little more boiled water and cover for a few minutes longer.

Before the rice, I've been adding some chopped garlic, or shallots, or dried shallots to the oil, maybe some Indian herbs like cumin seeds, depending on what the main dish is. Saute the garlic or shallot and herbs until fragrant, add the rice and then the water. Or homemade chicken broth.

Before the rice is fully cooked I add salt, and all kinds of things - chopped almonds, cooked chickpeas, peas, grated citrus rind, chopped raisins, etc. Then there's always butter...

• karen_b
    16 years ago

My simple way of making rice, using jasmine: rinse thorough (according to my DD that keeps it from sticking..whether or not that's true I don't know but it keeps the peace), I add olive oil to the water & rice & also a vegetarian (no salt) bullion cube for added taste (because my DH doesn't like unflavored), boil as directed and remove from heat until dinner is ready. Perfect every time. I always double the amount I make and make fried rice another night. Saute onions & garlic in a little olive oil, add rice, frozen mixed vegetables & soy sauce to taste, cover and cook on low stirring frequently until hot through and through.

Lately I've switched to brown rice & wild rice but I use the same method as above.

I'm going to have to remember the idea of adding spinach that sounds great and my garden spinach is just coming in now.

• khandi
    16 years ago

How many of you wash your rice first? So many people ask me how I cook my rice. They like the firmness, it's not mushy like theirs. I just wash mine twice in cold water, and I add a little bit less water than called for when I cook it. Works every time!

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Welcome Pranjal!
    I'm like you, rice is one of my favorite foods, I could eat it every day and not get tired of it. That is if it was brown rice. I like the nutty flavor of brown rice, I can't abide by the parboiled white rice, it tastes like paste to me. Some people like sticky rice, some not, so I guess how you cook it and what variety you prefer depends on your taste. I like mine medium, not too sticky, not too loose. For that reason, I'm not a big fan of aborio rice. I don't know why, but to me, the mushiness factor isn't pleasant, although to most it plays "creamy" and is good. Since it takes constant fussing to make, I don't make arborio. My favorite is brown rice. You can often get short or long grain types in the average supermarket, short sticks together better, long is loose. You can also get medium grain, which is actually my favorite. I make my rice very simply. Use twice as much liquid as rice, and use the right size pot, something with a wide bottom compared to height. I'm not sure what the ideal ratio is, but my skinnier pots just don't seem to make as good rice, the bottom overcooks and the top doesn't cook enough.

When I make rice, I usually use 3 cups liquid, 1.5 cups rice, which makes 3 cups cooked. That's enough for 2-3 servings, depending on what else you're having. I save the extra for other meals during the week. I have also made 4 cups liquid, 2 cups rice, and in that case I put the extra in the freezer for use later. I use vegetable bouillon for the liquid. My usual take is 1 heaping tsp. bouillon. I don't add salt or oil since that is included in my bouillon cubes. Bring the water to a boil, make sure the bouillon has dissolved, then add the rice. Takes about 45 min. to cook. Watch closely at the end. Don't stir it too much, that causes bits of the rice to rub off into the liquid and makes gluey rice. Same goes for pasta for that reason. I stir it about once, to redistribute what's on top towards the bottom and vice versa. If I'm careful at the end and watch my temp and time, I don't usually have browned bits at the bottom.

I like basmati, texmati, jasmine and plain old brown rice. Basmati and jasmine are great for asian style dishes. My favortie ways to make quick rice dishes: asian style, which is with stir fried vegetables and asian style marinated tofu, using hoisin sauce or thai peanut sauce for flavor; mexican style, which is with sauteed mexican vegetables--onion, peppers, corn, zuchinni, carrots, whatever, with a can of stewed tomatoes broken up, a can of black beans, and seasoned with chili powder or salsa or both, top with shredded cheddar or guacamole. Or make without beans, serve with refried beans smothered with cheese on the side and condiments. The last style I eat often is what I call italian style--again starts with sauteed onion, peppers, eggplant, zuchinni, asparagus, spinach, chard, mushrooms, flat beans, etc. Then add white or red kidney bean and a can of stewed tomatoes. Can add more italian style sauce if necessary. Season with italian seasoning and garlic. Top with parmesean.

I also like rice pudding which I make for breakfast on weekends--heavan. I like cream of rice cereal, but it's not my favorite.

• beanthere_dunthat
    16 years ago

Me! Me! I like Indian food! er..um..ahem. Sorry, I got excited.

I don't think I've ever met a rice I didn't like. Jasmine, brown and basmati are always in the pantry. I would LOVE to try the "forbidden" rice and red rice, but I have not found them locally (yet).

These days I usually make just plain, lemon or "Mexican" rice since I can then put the leftovers with just about anything. But that Harvest Rice recipe up there is definitely getting made this month. That sounds wonderful.

I'm usually not a fan of single-use gadgets, but my Zoji rice cooker is, hands down, the best plug-in kitchen purchase I have ever made. And, yes, I do wash my rice. "Rice rinsed thrice, cooks nice."

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

And.....anything you'd throw over pasta, you can serve over rice.
    spaghetti sauce
    Cheeses
    Fresh veggies
    Butter, salt and pepper
    Make a cold rice salad instead of pasta salad
    Rice pudding

I'm "required" to make extra so DH can have some for dessert with sugar, butter and milk.

Deanna

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Ditto what Deanna said. I like plain old cheap white rice. I think of it as an empty canvas and add to it (after all, who would want to look at a white canvas?) For mornings I like to mix in raisins or bite size apple pieces, some cinnamon and honey and eat it like cereal.

Try adding some nuts, like pine nuts, walnuts or pecans. You can go sweet, like above or go savory and add some sauteed garlic & parmesan too.

I like it with mushrooms and peas too.

• pranjal
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone! You sure are a lively bunch! Bobby, I can see why you like this forum more than any other :)

Emily (my favourite name), daal and rice are my mostest favest :)

You're welcome, Ohiomom, do let us know how your biryani rice turned out. If Spice Hound has Indian spices, you can get a packet of whole garam masala (a mix of whole black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, bay leaves, etc)- then you don't have to buy all of those separately, just throw a fistful of the mix into the pot of rice as it boils. If (like me) you or your family members find it too much of a chore to keep picking out the garam masala as you eat, you can put the whole spices in a small cloth bag, tie the mouth and hang it in the pot - like a teabag (my Mum gets mad at me when I do it) - but I do leave the cinnamon pieces in the rice, I like the sweet taste. **Dang, forgot to mention, adding a few drops of milk on top of the saffron strands after you toss them in the almost-done rice, brings out the colour nicely.**

Pinkmountain, I've never tried brown rice, but I will, one of these days, I'll give your recipes a go. Never tried parboiled either, just basmati and short and medium grain.

LOL Beanthere ... I don't think I've ever met a rice I didn't like .. another rice fan! My Mum used to say if I didn't eat stuff other than rice, I would really turn into a sack of rice :) And yes, I rinse rice thrice before cooking. In the recipes I posted, (white) vinegar is added so that the rice grains stay firm (prevents starch from leaking) - dunno if that's true, but I've always had good results with vinegar. Another foolproof method for fluffy rice, according to Mum, is if you take 'n' cups of rice, add 2n-minus-1 cups of boiling water (like Gina said) to it.

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Hi Pranjal, add me to the group of rice lovers and Indian food enthusiasts. I most frequently cook rice in a 10 cup electric "keep warm" rice cooker and for our household of 2 I ususally cook six cups of rice. I most often cook brown basmati, but cook white as well, and wild, and red and black. I love saffron in anything so I will be trying your Biryani rice soon. I also like mustard seed, cumin and chiles and I almost always have leftover rice as well and your leftover fluffy rice sounds good too.

There are a lot of us here who love Indian food and this is your warning - I'm going to ask you some questions on a new thread.

Welcome to the CF, Pranjal and thanks Bobby for nudging her here.

Lee

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

Welcome Pranjal, jumping mustard seeds, coriander, cumin and the rest of the Indian spices are great - it is only the very yellow prepared mustard that I can't hack (and I don't understand why as all its ingredients are okay).

vacuumfreak, for making plain rice, I use the start with cold water and rice 2:1 ratio in a heavy pan, bring to a boil covered, then turn off the burner and wait 20 minutes (for white rice) method. Don't touch the cover until the time is up! Foolproof, no burning.

In addition to plain, I like rice in a rice pudding - there are quick and easy ones which are yummy but the best ones involve long slow simmering of the rice in milk. I've got one that uses lemon, lime and orange zest instead of the usual cinnamon, raisin flavorings.

Or stir fried - I have a recipe that uses some curry, carrots, green onion and orange.

• Lars
    16 years ago

I like to make Jambalaya or else mushroom rice. I haven't written down a recipe because I do it off the cuff. I recently used up the last bit of white basmati rice that I had, and now I'm using only brown basmati rice. I've decided that I actually prefer the flavor of the brown basmati, especially when cooked with mushrooms. For that, I start with sautéing some onion in olive until almost translucent, add a bit of garlic and then the rice and sauté that together for a couple of minutes. Then I add a bunch of sliced mushrooms, some black pepper, and thyme, and sauté that for a bit before adding two cups of stock (for one cup of brown rice). Normally brown rice needs more liquid than white, but the mushrooms and onion will add sufficient liquid. I simmer brown rice for 45 minutes, and then let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes covered off heat before fluffing it with a fork.

When I make Jambalaya, I generally add sausage, red & green bell pepper, jalapeño, tomato, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, celery, and chicken stock.

Lars

• ntt_hou
    16 years ago

If you like shrimp fried rice, here's an easy and healthy way of preparing it. It does require to have a rice cooker.

But first, I apologize for not giving measurements. I'm a typical asian cook that don't really use measurement much when cooking.

In a rice cooker, add the quantity of rice that you'd usually make. Substitute the water content with 1/2 chicken stock and 1/2 water. Add a tablespoon or so of chopped garlic and some fried onions, stir to mix evenly. Press down the button and let it cook.

I normally use the low fat low salt, no MSG chicken stock in the box. You can find fried onions in packages at an asian supermarket or Indian section of the grocery store.

While that is cooking, thaw out a package of frozen mixed vegetable such as a mixture of cut green beans, corn and chopped carrots. Also, thaw out frozen cocktail shrimps or frozen salad size shrimps (these are pre-cooked). If use medium or large cocktail shrimps cut each in 3 pieces. Small size shrimps blend into the rice better and when eating, gives you more bites of shrimp.

When the rice is done and is still hot, mix in soy sauce to taste. Then add the vegetables and shrimps, mix them all in well. Serve.

Without the soy sauce, veggies and shrimps, you can serve the rice as is with asian style roasted chicken. This is one of the version of our Chicken 'n Rice dishes.

For the chicken, you can marinate it with a mixture of soy sauce, a little of salt, ground pepper, chopped garlic or garlic powder, worseshire sauce and if you have any fruit juice such as orange or pineapple juice, add some to the mixture. Once marinated well, you can either roast it in the oven or cook it in a fried pan.

In the oven, roast the chicken as indicated by the pound. Baste the chicken from time to time to avoid the chicken from drying out. Brush some honey all over the chicken before the last 10 minutes is over to avoid from burning.

To cook in a deep fried pan, add a little oil into the pan, brown the chicken and then put a lid on it and cook for another 15-20 minutes in medium low heat. Again, to avoid from burning, brush the honey all over the chicken before the last 5 minutes is over.

• dafygardennut
    16 years ago

I'm a lurker too, but had to ask...has anyone had Egyptian Rice? We're lucky here that there are two Indian markets within 4 blocks of each other, an Asian market a couple of blocks from there, a middle eastern market and an International market a couple of miles further down. The International market has a huge variety of couscous, rices, lentils, and bulk spices really cheap.

Anyway we just got a bag of the Egyptian rice to try (it cooks like Basmati), I would say it's a medium size grain. We rinse it until the water runs almost clear (that's the starch coming off) to keep it from sticking together too much, but even then it's creamy and a little nutty, holds together but not glue. If you can find it I definitely say try it.

And I agree, anything that you can put on pasta you can put on rice.

For a cucumber sauce, has anyone tried using Burnett in place of cucumber? It's an herb that has a great cucumber flavor. I tried that in place of cucumber in a yoghurt sauce tonight and it was fantastic. About 1-2 loose handfuls of leaves in 8 oz nonfat plain yoghurt with garlic, salt & pepper, dill and mint. Usually with cucumber it ends up watering down the sauce even when I scrape out the seeds, which I hate.

Pranjal, I might want to pick your brain sometime on some of the spices used in Indian food. We've made a garam masala before and I absolutely love curries, but I'll start another thread for that.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    16 years ago

Generally? I love "sticky" rice as my adopted bros/sis call it (they're Filipino). Great for picking up with hands, or chop sticks and just plain better than rice that falls through the tines of a fork.

Specifically, Monique's...

"GORGONZOLA LEMON RICE
    'Rice to the Rescue!' Recipe Contest Winner - Kelly Mapes Yield: Makes 6 servings.
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cups coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
    1 (4-ounce) package Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    3 cups cooked rice
    2 cups lightly-packed torn fresh spinach leaves
    2 teaspoons lemon zest
    Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in cheese and continue to stir frequently until cheese melts, about 3 minutes. Stir in cream, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir in rice and heat until hot, about 5 minutes. Toss in spinach just before serving. Garnish with lemon zest. I made a 2 cup recipe. It's a keeper and I am certain many cheese varieties could work."

• Bizzo
    16 years ago

My DH really doesn't like rice. He will eat plain white rice with soy sauce (a recently acquired taste) but if I try to cook it with anything he balks (I love to throw onions in, at least, and I really like Linda's advice: throw something, anything in it).

I'm also a rice lover. I'm having a couple of friends over next week and I'm making a baked pilaf... in broth with pine nuts and onions...

For me, Sticky rice is Queen! And in hong kong I learned to eat rice from a bowl and scoop it straight into my mouth with chopsticks...

I love Basmati and Jasmine... and I've even been known (gasp! Oh, no!) to cook rice in canned cream soup (mushroom or chicken usually). I'll eat brown, but prefer white versions. And I don't like wild rice (which isn't really rice, anyway.

Rob, that Gorgonzola lemon rice looks like my kind of thing!

I have a good stuffed mushroom recipe (weight watchers) that I use at parties a lot... no one thinks of it as low fat... where the mushrooms are stuffed with a mixture of rice, chopped musroom stems, spinach and fontina (I usually use Parmesan or mozzarella, but the fontina is best).

I got a rice cooker for my wedding, but have only used it once or twice. It's really too big for just the two of us! I usually use a small covered saucepan...

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Dafygardennut, you have to be talking about the shopping area on and around Parker Rd in Aurora. I shop a lot at H-Mart and Bombay Bazaar and occasionally a Russian store near the French Bakery. Where is the International Market, and is that actually it's name? Is that where you bought the Egyptian rice?

Thanks,

Lee (in Boulder)

• dafygardennut
    16 years ago

Yes, Parker Road. It's Int'l Market on the building across from the Mosque just past Dahlia on Parker Road. When you go in , from the door to your left is all of the couscous, rices, lentils and the opposite side of the store is all of the bulk spices, teas and coffee. That's where we get the Egyptian Rice. From there if you go back toward 225 on the right is Arash (that's the middle eastern market).

Bombay Bazaar has a lot of heat and eat Indian dishes that are wonderful, really spicy and heat up in a minute or two.

There is a new Ukrainian store at Iliff and Peoria (next to the French Bakery) and the guy there makes fresh bread every couple of hours. They have a great selection of cheeses and meats. On the opposite side of 225 at Parker and Quincy (in the 7-11 shopping center are two more markets. I can't remember what one is called, the other is Europa and that is mostly Russian. Four days a week they make stuffed fish, cabbage rolls, meat filled breads and a lot of other traditional dishes.

• rosecmd
    16 years ago

When I cook white rice I use Jasmine rice. I rinse it well, and put it in a pot covered by about 1/2 an inch of water and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring it to a boil, wrap the pot lid with a clean dishcloth (keeping it away from the flame, of course). Turn to low. Set timer for 8 minutes. Yes, 8 minutes. When it goes off, take off the lid, turn off the heat and let the rice cook for two more minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir in a tsp of butter (I use Land o Lakes soft butter with canola oil). Perfect, dry rice every time.

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Dafygardennut, thanks, I'll definitely stop at the International Market the next time I shop in the area.

Lee

• charlp
    16 years ago

have not been on for some months posted a few days ago then another trauma.. any way love rice......... have made a rice with butter, rosewater, saffron, sugar,white raisins for years this is the house and guest favorite.....the other favorite is chelo..long and slow and worth every minute..........there are many persian and turkish dishes that have various sauces of meat and fruit combinations for over rice which also change it ... one of my favorites is lamb and apricots...also rhubarb and beef.........however i have a rice cooker that keeps like Lee's and my approach to it is that each day i change the seasoning and add a little water perhaps a spoonful
    first day could be kind of plain. next herbs, next spices
    third maybe mushrooms and cheese or a complete switch to curry....if there is any thing left it is frozen...may years ago I made the choice of multiple dinners out of something........that goes for chickens and meats
    ......... its all work and taste and time...and you have to

I do the same with wild rice.....by the way you can always do a chinese fried rice or salad or soup.there are also things like stuffed peppers and dolmades for left over rice