SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
echalmers

Faux finish problem on plaster wall

echalmers
16 years ago

I tried to put a ragged glaze on a wall in my dining room, something I had done with great success in another house. To my surprise, I couldn't do anything with the glaze (Behr), because it dried as soon as it hit the wall. I ended up with a sponge effect that I don't really like, because it was all I could do. The soft brownish glaze also developed an orange tinge.

The base paint was Olympic soft cream, both flat and eggshell, over a blue BM. The fellow at Lowe's said that the problem was my not having primed the wall first (I'm priming the other walls). However, I did a very small archway that was also blue, with no priming, and the glaze looks much lighter. But it still dried as soon as it was applied, though not quite as quickly.

Does anyone have any idea what happened here? Why is the wall soaking up the glaze? Why is the glaze turning a funny color? Is it the paint or the plaster?

Thanks for the help. If anyone is interested, I would like to see a faux painting/finish forum just for these kinds of questions.

Comments (2)