SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierdoc_gw

Please help with contractor issue

hoosierdoc
14 years ago

We had a custom home that we're finishing the basement in. I used a painter with '20 years experience', bonded, insured. His quote was for $2100 if he buys the paint. I already had 10 gallons of Baer primer in the basement. Fresh drywall. I said he could use that primer if he wanted. I asked where to get paint since I had no idea, he recommended Walmart, I said we really wanted good paint and we'll use the people the builder used (ICI Dulux Paint). We found our samples and gave him the info at that store.

When he was done, it looked really good. A week later, I'm down there and see all of the drywall marks through the paint. It just looks terrible. All of that primer is still there. They did two coats of paint but I'm not sure if a primer was used. When I look at the paint, it's 'Dutch Boy Extreme Adhesion' outdoor paint, sold by Walmart.

Once the rest of the contractors are done (except carpet) we're going to call him back to put another coat of paint on since we don't feel it's done appropriately. You should not be able to see every single drywall mud line through the paint. I actually primed one room myself with two layers of primer, and that job looks great. Makes me think they skimped on priming.

MY questions are... how do you have that conversation? Is it common practice to come back and redo work for free if it looks awful? I told the guy no walmart paint and this was used. Was the paint selection appropriate or is it an inferior product?

Thanks for any guidance.

-Brian

Comment (1)