SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joelovesjennie

First-time home owners and issues with contractor

joelovesjennie
9 years ago

I know a lot of people complain about general contractors, and I'm one of them. But I'm curious if I'm being the difficult client as my contractor seems to imply.

In the beginning, we loved our contractor because he was very accommodating to all our ideas and he seemed to communicate so well and wanted to address all our needs as much as possible. At least that's what he said. To give you a little more background we are in California and legally we can only pay him 10% as deposit or 1000 whichever is less. Well he didn't ask for a deposit since we asked him to work right away, but on the first day of work he asked us for 2400 as a move on amount which is about 2/3 of the whole project. The project consists of the bathroom gutting/remodeling and other installations throughout the house. We aren't aware whether we need permits for this, but we are assuming we don't.

Well, this is where I feel we as the clients are guilty of misjudgment of planning. We did not know we had to order all the material before we hired a contractor to do work. we thought we had to consult with him before we did so. Our contractor was aware of that and told us not to worry that only less than 15% of people are ready with their all their material orders at the beginning. He said he wanted us to take our time because he would rather it take more time than to have to redo something because it was not what we wanted. Anyway, I felt bad that he didn't have all his material. We told him that he would have to wait a month to install the sinktop because it took that long to come directly from Kohler and he understood or so it seemed.

He started work on 3/11 and he is still not done with the tiling as of 4/5 today. The tiles were the first to arrive on 3/12. He picked them up 3/16 had a week to start on it. That's when he started to be flaky and show up less and less for work. His reason was his tiler had a baby, so he was missing help. I understand that as a mother but why couldn't he do the tiling himself. At the end of the week he was unresponsive and wouldn't return calls. He said he would come to work but didn't at least twice that week. He apologized the following Monday and said he would be able to do all the work in a week by 4/6 Friday. Unfortunately, we paid him too much upfront to fire him and my " very nice" husband wanted to give him more slack. We asked him to stop work for a week while we had our floors redone and when he came back on 3/30 his tiler started the tiling. We couldn't be happier until we found out on Wednesday they were two tiles short of finishing. He originally told us we needed 107 sq ft of tiles and when I ordered 120 sq ft he said that was more than usual. Now he is saying it wasn't his fault because he didn't order the tiles and I ordered it. He said being short only two tiles is pretty "damn" close in his mind. hahahah... Well now if I want those two tiles I have to special order and pay 80 dollars. So being cheap I decided to get two samples for free and got them for him Friday afternoon, the day he was supposed to finish everything. He didn't come to work Thursday and Friday because the tiles weren't there although there was so much other stuff he did not finish like the recessed shelf, vanity, sconces, towel bars etc.

Now we are waiting for him to reschedule and finish the bathroom.

Husband and I are pretty astonished at how he is now complaining to us that he lost so much money because he had to sit around for us to order the material and that he didn't charge us an extra 85 dollars for each time for his pickup of our materials when he originally told us he was more than happy to pick up our supplies and material.

This is a very long story and it helped me get some perspective as I'm typing it. Long Sigh~~~! I know we aren't perfect clients but we are first-timers. Are we that difficult to work with?

We are currently trying to work with him so he can finish the job. We just don't hear from him. We aren't sure of his workmanship yet since we haven't seen tiles done before, but our painter said they did a pretty rough job on spotting the drywall that it made more work for him.

I'm guessing this is not serious enough to fire him and hire another contractor this late in the game. We are hoping to move in 4/14 but we don't know how to work with this type of volatile person to make that happen. What can I do without provoking him more? He seems very aggravated and seems even more uncooperative after our very heated conversation. My husband tried to reason with him, but my husband said the contractor just kept talking about what we did wrong and how it cost him. Someone had mentioned filing a complaint but wouldn't that irk him more and he would just leave the job unfinished? Are city inspectors needed only for work that needs permits? Help!

Comments (36)