SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lechebo96

Bona Traffic HD with three coats - Issues with Contractor

LP
6 years ago

Please give me your opinion how to handle :

I hired a very well known hardwood flooring company in Chicago to refinish our new home floors. The contractor was going to use: Bona stain and 2 coats of commercial grade polyurethane Masterline.

I told him that I wanted "three coats" "Bona Traffic HD" finishing and are paying almost a 1/3 more from his initial quote for the upgrade. I followed up with a summary e-mail of our conversation which he accepted and also mentioned it several times verbally and by text.

So, I arrived to the home unexpectedly the third day because I had an insurance audit, and realized that the contractor was using Bona InstaSeal (that according to Bona Traffic HD specifications, it is not necessary) and there were not any bottles of Bona Traffic HD anywhere.

When I questioned the contractor, he told me that he won't be adding the third finishing coat because the sealant (Bona InstraDry) replaced it and he always applies it. He admits that is his mistake not to clarify that there will be only two coats of finishing but he expects that I pay him the full amount, because these add up to three coats (one sealant & two finishing). Also, he never gives explanations of the process and I shouldn't question it. Well, I am paying for an upgrade, so I feel that I have the right to ask.

In addition, he keeps mentioned "Bona Traffic" instead "Bona Traffic HD" but he said that is a wording mistake issue.

I told him that it is our written agreement and he need to add the third coat or adjust the charge to reflect the actual finishing coats applied ($650 for the third coat). He refuses, treat me to charge me for "additional wood work equivalent never mentioned before". I said that I was going to pay but haven't had peace of mind feeling totally taking advantage for my inexperience.

We haven't talked in three days (while the floors are drying form the second coat of finishing) and already gave him 1/3 of payment as a advance which he hasn't cashed.

My question is what would you do?

Thank you for your help!

Comments (7)