SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sabrinaflorida

URGENT bathroom tile setting issues-help please!

sabrinaflorida
13 years ago

Hello, I have some urgent questions regarding the quality of the tiling that is being done in the bathroom we are having remodeled. The questions are urgent because we have already called the contractor, who did the tiling himself today, and he is insisting that there are no issues and that "once everything is grouted, it will look fine."

ItÂs hard to tell from the photos, but the distance between the tiles (where the grout will go) varies from 1/16th to 3/16th of an inch. Some of the tiles are slightly offset from each other instead of meeting squarely.

When we saw the initial tiling today, we immediately called the contractor. He said that he used a level and that all the tiles are level, and that the reason for the discrepancy in the grout lines is because the tiles vary in size. He specifically said that the bullnose tiles are imperfect  their angles not exactly 90 degrees. He said we could call the tile store we bought the tiles from to verify that this is typical. He also said that he couldnÂt use small grout lines because he has to be sure there is enough room for him to push in the grout (we will be using a stain-resistant grout so IÂm assuming itÂs an epoxy grout, but IÂm not positive).

To us, it looks like he didnÂt use enough spacers. Some of the tiles look slightly tilted. My husband and I both feel that there should not be so much variation in the size of the grout lines. If our contractor is concerned that he wonÂt be able to push the grout into 1/16th of an inch grout lines, none of the tiles should have been laid with 1/16 spaces.We believe the grout lines should all consistently be the same width (say, 1/8th inch) and not have the amount of variation they have now.

Our contractor came highly recommended, and we think he is genuinely interested in doing quality work. He was quite upset when we called him with our concerns.

Thank you in advance for any comments, suggestions, or opinions!

Comments (12)