SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

Calling the layout gurus -- help me swap DR for kitchen?

Building on my water heater dilemna, I'm calling all you layout gurus (Buehl, fori, rhome, anybody else who wants to take a crack at it): What about this idea -- and how can I make it work? What if I swap the dining room and kitchen assuming I'm still removing the dividing wall? Would it be too weird to walk into the front entry and see kitchen -- it's a half flight of stairs but the dining room is the direct line of sight from the entry? Maybe if we can tuck the range and sink out of view behind the load bearing wall dividing the kitchen and living room it won't be so bad? I suppose I would have to panel the fridge since it would be in plain sight.

Here's the floor plan again (minus the master bedroom that's on the other side of the current kitchen -- squint and you'll see my very tiny handwriting pointing to it). This was from when I was thinking about swapping the kitchen and family room.

Nice thing about swapping kitchen and dining room is it gives me a better wall to put my buffet on, and I really want to keep my buffet. Also puts the kitchen between the dining room and family room, a better situation, in my book. If I could find a way to do it, maybe could open up the fam room with a half/pony wall for part of it so I can see the TV, kids, etc.

Maybe could even use the existing gas lines to put in a gas fireplace in the dining area? Thoughts? Ideas?

Floorplan

Comments (26)