SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dilly_ny_gw

Help me Finalize Layout...Pretty Please!

dilly_ny
12 years ago

We finally kicked our 1948 cabinets to the curb and our construction for our kitchen / great room extension is nearly done. We are now in the entered the camping phase of our renovation (i.e. microwave is our temp kitchen).

I need to finalize the layout this week and order the cabinetry. The space is already framed, so no walls can be moved. This is strictly a cabinetry refinement at this point. Thanks to all your help, I belive I have already worked out previous spacing issues.

The overall room size is 18x24, but only about 12x13 will be used for cabinetry. There will be an L shape, a 42x78 island, and a separate wall for fridge and beverage center. All aisle widths are 42."

Here is part of the framed space:

As you can see, a large support beam (18" deep) runs across the space, but is not centered to the room. We plan to wrap the steel beam in wood and stain it as a decorative beam. The mantle range hood is centered on this beam and the sink will be centered to the bay window.

Here is an overall perspective:

Cabinets for the L shape (trash left of the sink):

and the fridge wall:

To the left of the fridge will be a door into the garage, but we do not park our car in the garage. The fridge lines up with the range aisles to prevent a barrier island situation.

I anticipate that the area by the kitchen sink will be clean up and dish storage. The island will be primary prep and baking area, and the beverage center will be a high use area for fridge landing as well as secondary prep (we make alot of smoothies).

All suggestion to improve layout are appreciated. Do you think I need a prep sink? Do you think the dishwasher and trash placement are ok? Dishes will be stored to the left of the sink, so I am not sure what's best.

If you've been following my project, I am happy to report that the space is a little larger than my previous posts... and yes, I fit in the fireplace (already installed!).

Thank you GW for all your help!

Comments (13)