SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Help! Should I change my windows?

plllog
15 years ago

Both my contractor and a cabinet maker have said, on first seeing my kitchen, that I need to change the windows or they'll look like a mistake. I've lived with them long enough that I don't see it, and they don't bother me.

The little one is askew from the sink, and would be on the new one as well. Both are crappy cheap aluminum and over 20 years old. The sliding door is wood with divided lights. So is the french door on the studio you can see outside, as well as the dining room french doors on the same wall as the slider. In fact, all the doors and windows on the front and half of one side are wood with divided lights. All the windows on the back, the other half of the first side, and the other side are aluminum.

The slider is staying. If one window goes they both do. The windows I've looked at are wood, which would be painted (as the slider is), but without the divided lights.

For the small one, the contractor (who has a design background--he's really not trying to milk the job) wants to make it a bit bigger and move it over a bit to line up with the sink. I was looking at a nicely proportioned greenhouse window, with casement sides, no shelves. This has aluminum on the outside to cut down maintenance on the wood. That's fine from the outside since this one is toward the side fence. The metal is powder coated or something, so it's not ugly.

Will the greenhouse window cut down on the light that comes into the kitchen? I'm worried that all the light (southern) will come in only to the floor of the window (i.e., where plants go). I wouldn't put anything too tall in it.

There's a plain window from the same company, which slides to open. I can get one that will just pop into where the larger window is now. I worry that all the wood will also cut down on the light that comes in. There's 2.5"-3" of framing around each pane.

Another option would be to make the window longer. That is, to have the top in the same place to match the others, but have the sill at counter level. That way I could put in a serving counter on the patio. In the new kitchen, the area in front of the window is just countertop, and will probably be used mostly for baking.

Part of me is saying just do it already because you're never going to touch the kitchen again. Another part says if the windows aren't bugging you why bug them?

So do I go for the greenhouse and serving windows? Do I just get plain wood ones? Do I leave them alone? Some other choice?

Here are some bad cell phone pictures (please excuse the rubble--I'm in the middle of packing things up):

Small window over the sink

Large window out to patio

Slider

Comments (9)