SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Need advice re: what paint to use

lkplatow
15 years ago

I have a fireplace wall that I want to paint an accent color. It's a colonial-type wall, where the whole wall is paneled wood. I want to paint it a dark color - black or very dark brown - ala a New England 200 year old colonial.

This is a fireplace that houses our woodburning stove, so the wood a) gets hot and b) gets dirty (think light gray ash everywhere). I don't want a super glossy finish (satin at the most) and I need something that will be tough since I tend to put heavy things on the mantle - I don't want any kind of paint that's going to stay tacky and stuff will stick to it - I've got that problem with the BM semigloss paint on my other fireplace mantel and it's really annoying!

I was thinking of either trying to use something like Graham or Muralo ceramic paint or just buying a really cheap flat paint then going over it with a coat of satin poly. I'm not sure about muralo, but the Graham only comes in flat or semigloss and I'd really prefer a satin, both for looks and easy of cleaning (I'm thinking that all that gray ash is going to stick to the flat paint and be hard to clean). Cabinet coat has the perfect finish as far as gloss and toughness but can't be tinted dark. That's why I'm leaning toward just using some ordinary flat paint then using a wipe-on satin poly to gloss it up a bit and protect it.

Any advice or other suggestions? I need to decide asap cause I've got to get this thing painted before we need to light the woodstove!

Comment (1)