SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryanpaulkearns

Looking for Advice re: Asbestos Tiled Home - Needs Paint!

Ryan
6 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I hope this post finds you all well. - The reason I'm reaching out is that I'll be painting my parents home here in a few weeks and am seeking some guidance/recommendations regarding their siding material. I'm not sure as to the specific name for this stuff, but I do know that it is very old asbestos shingle. I've attached some pictures to better depict what I'm dealing with, but for the most part they are intact and clean, aside from some areas with a mild degradation of the exterior paint and some spider crap/gunk.

I'm aware that this stuff is fairly easy when it comes to taking paint, and this is great considering I'd rather not disturb the tile by removing it, nor want to undergo the massive safety project it might require to remove asbestos tile.

So, my few questions are as follows:

1) Regrading prep: I've seen a few recommendations tossed around... some say pressure washer on the lowest setting, others say a long scrub brush with some green soap cleaner... any thoughts here? Is it necessary to hit every inch of shingle coverage, or simply just the areas that look dirty? I take it there's no real scraping to be done to the shingles themselves either?

2) Re: Priming.... I've also seen recommendations out there for both priming and NOT to prime given the nature of the material taking a good coat. - I would assume not priming is risky, but just wanted to hear everyone out on this front as well.

3) I've read that acrylic based paint is the best finish here, is this correct?

Just looking for some insight by folks who've tackled a project like this before, with best results and speed in mind, as always!

Again, pictures below, and I really do appreciate any help whatsoever ya'll might offer. Thanks so much!!

Comment