flowergirl70ks

corn chowder

flowergirl70ks
9 years ago

does anyone have a good one?

Comments (12)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I was hoping someone who knew what they were talking about would answer you. I make a something we call "corn chowder," but it will probably make real cooks shudder. Nevertheless, here goes.

Makes 2 lunch-size servings

Saute 2 oz of chopped onion in 1 Tblsp butter or olive oil. Add about 4 oz of sliced smoked sausage. Saute sausage with the onions until onions are transparent. Add one can of cream corn and about 1/2 can of shoepeg corn. Add enough milk/cream to make the mixture soupy. Heat through slowly. Ta-da.

A lot of recipes call for potatoes, but I don't care for potatoes in my "chowder."

• moosemac
    9 years ago

Corn Chowder

4 slices bacon
    2 tsp. butter
    1 medium onion minced
    3 cups chicken stock
    1 medium potato peeled and diced üâÂÂ
    1 cup 1% milk Or plain Rice Dream (We prefer Rice Dream)
    16 oz. frozen shoe peg corn

Over medium heat, sauté bacon in saucepan until very crisp. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towel, pat dry. Add butter to pan and melt, add onions to pan, sauté until onions just begin to start to brown. Add potatoes to pan and sauté 2 minutes. Add corn, chicken stock and milk, cover pan and heat until just beginning to simmer; reduce heat and allow to cook until potatoes are fork tender. Serve immediately or remove pan from heat and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Reheat over low heat and serve. Makes 4 servings

For Corn Crab Chowder:
    At the end, add 8 oz. of fresh lump blue crabmeat, heat through and serve.

• Related Discussions

corn chowder??

Q

Comments (3)
    Creamy Sweet Corn Chowder 1 Tab Butter or oil 1/2 cup onion chopped 2 1/2 cups uncooked corn(about 5 ears) 1 cup peeled diced russet potato 2 cups chicken broth 1 bay leaf 1 1/2 cup lowfat milk In large pot, melt butter and cook onion until tender. Add: corn, potato, chicken broth, bay leaf and cook about 15 minutes. Cool slightly, remove bay leaf. Put about 2/3 in blender and puree. Pour back into pan, add milk and heat. Do not boil. Ladle soup into large bowls, place spoonful of tomato puree in center and sprinkle with bacon bits. Spicy Tomato Puree Topping: 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes 1 teas chili powder 1/8 teas cayenne or more Cook till thick in small skillet, about 3 minutes.
    ...See More

corn Chowder

Q

Comments (3)
    I'll walk you through a good chowder recipe! Please hang around....hopefully you will see this. : ) Just made my first corn chowder of the fall season last weekend... I'll post it here or on your other posting.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Tomato Corn Chowder

Q

Comments (0)
    4 - 6 servings 2 c. corn kernels 2 c. water, divided use 1/4 lb. salt pork or bacon, diced 2 med onions, finely chopped 1 Tbsp. flour 1 c. milk 1 c. whipping cream 3 c. tomatoes, seeded & diced, about 1 1/2 lb. 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil OR 3/4 tsp. dried 1/4 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp black pepper dash cayenne pepper Puree 1 c. corn with 1/2 c. water in food processor or blender. Set aside. Saute salt port until fat is rendered & bits are crisp. Remove from pot with slotted spoon & set aside. In fat remaining in pan, saute onions over low heat until tender. Sprinkle with flour & cook 1 minute. Add reserved corn puree, remaining 1 c. corn kernels & remaining 1 1/2 c. water. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in milk & cream, & heat through. Stir in tomatoes, crisp pork, basil, salt, pepper & cayenne pepper. This is a nice, fresh soup for lunch, or for dinner/supper with a shrimp & spinach salad, & soft garlic-cheese breadsticks.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Corn chowder recipe

Q

Comments (1)
    Hope this link takes you to the answers on the cooking forum. Here is a link that might be useful: Corn Chowder
    ...See More
  • KatieC
    9 years ago

We just had a pot of corn chowder, but I don't have a real recipe....

Simmer diced potatoes, onion, celery, corn (sometimes I toss in some carrots and/or green beans), barely covered with water or veg broth and seasoned with S&P and a little thyme (or Penzey's Northwoods seasoning). When tender add evaporated milk (or milk, cream or half & half) and stir in a block of cream cheese until melted. The cream cheese makes it rich.

Sometimes I throw in some bacon...depends on the day.

• annie1992
    9 years ago

My family likes this one, from Midwest Living. I'm not crazy for the cheese, but everyone else likes it.

Corn Chowder

2 cups water
    2 cups chopped potatoes
    1/2 cup chopped carrots
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 cups milk
    2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    1 15 - ounce can cream-style corn
    2 cups cubed cooked ham

In a large saucepan or pot, combine water, potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

For Cheese Sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt butter or margarine. Stir in flour and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.

Add cheese to sauce and cook and stir until melted. Add cheese sauce to vegetable mixture. Stir in corn and ham. Heat through, but don't boil. Ladle into soup bowls and top with additional pepper, if you like.

Makes 6 main-dish servings.

Annie

• jakkom
    9 years ago

We've got a friend who is very lactose-intolerant. This is one of our favorite soups, and when she tried it, she loved it too! We're not vegetarian, but I've found this soup requires a vegetable broth. I always have a rich poultry-based stock in my frig, but it really does not work as well in this recipe as a veggie stock will.

SPICY CORN CHOWDER
    with Coconut and Lime (revised from vegetarian cookbook)

4 cups good vegetable stock OR 4 cups water and a Knorr packet of dry mix Vegetable Soup (vegetarian base)
    two 1-lb bags of frozen white corn, preferably C&W brand
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    32 oz (4 cups) plain coconut milk
    1/2 to 3/4 tsp lemon pepper (different brands of lemon pepper have varying 'saltiness') OR, 1/2 tsp salt plus 1 tsp lemon juice
    Hot sauce to taste (we use Busha BrowneâÂÂs Pukka hot sauce, but standard Tabasco sauce can be subbed)
    1/4 to 1/3 cup lime juice (you may not need all of it; season to taste only)

- If using soup mix, bring water and KnorrâÂÂs packet to a boil, and simmer for 20 minutes.

- Turn the heat back up, and bring back to a boil; add the corn and red pepper flakes. Cover, then simmer for 5 minutes. Uncover, turn off the heat and let cool to lukewarm. Do NOT try to blend soup while hot; your blender will erupt!

- Add all other ingredients, being careful to add the hot sauce and lime juice to taste. Start with the 1/4 cup lime juice; add more if you like.

- Puree in blender until reasonably smooth -- it won't be completely smooth unless you strain it, but you want it as smooth as possible to retain more fiber.

- Reheat to serve; will keep 4-5 days in refrig.

This makes 3 qts of soup: enough for 6 as a meal starter, or as a main course for 3-4.

• nicoletouk
    9 years ago

Last month I was on a corn chowder kick. I tried several recipes, all made with fresh corn - and I didn't love any of them. I ran across this online recipe from a place called Mimi's Cafe, I'm not familiar with it. However, I really liked this recipe as did all who tried it.

The only thing I did differently as use chicken stock instead of water.

Mimi's Cafe Corn Chowder

Ingredients

ü-cup butter, (ý-stick)
    6 tablespoons chopped onion
    þ-cup diced celery
    2-ý cups water
    2 cups cubed peeled red or russet potatoes, (ý-inch)
    2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
    1 can creamed corn (14 oz)
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 dash of white pepper
    3 tablespoons flour
    3 cups half and half cream

Instructions

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
    Add in the flour and whisk until smooth and a roux forms (2 minutes).
    Add onions and celery and sautée 5 minutes until soft but not brown.
    Add water, potatoes, corn kernels, creamed corn, sugar, salt and pepper. Using a wire whisk, whisk until smooth.
    Cover and simmer until potatoes are barely tender, about 30 minutes.
    Add half and half and simmer uncovered until soup has thickened to a creamy consistency, about 15 minutes.
    Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed.

Nicole

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

Jkom that kind of corn chowder has been on my "to try" list for ages. Don't know why but my cooking mojo is not on this week. It definitely goes in spurts and I am on a down spurt.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Hi Flowergirl -)

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

Here's a recipe from "Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House" in Lynchburg, TN. This is my go-to corn chowder recipe.

CORN CHOWDER
    3 TBS butter
    1 med onion, chopped
    4 cups fresh corn kernels (or two 10-oz frozen corn - thawed)
    1/3 cup Jack Daniel's Whiskey
    3 TBS flour
    2 cups chicken stock
    2 cups cream
    salt and cayenne pepper to taste
    2 potatoes, cooked, cubed

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and saute' the onion for 5 min. Add the corn and continue to cook until the corn is slightly soft. Pour in the Whiskey and carefully ignite. Tilt the pan so the flame touches all the corn. When the flame goes out, stir in the flour. Slowly stir in the chicken stock, cream, salt, and cayenne pepper. Heat until thickened. Add the potato cubes. Heat through. Serve hot. 8 servings.

• Chi
    9 years ago

We like this one, from Ina Garten. Really rich and delicious.

Cheddar Corn Chowder - Ina Garten
    Ingredients

8 ounces bacon, chopped
    1/4 cup good olive oil
    6 cups chopped yellow onions (4 large onions)
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
    1/2 cup flour
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    12 cups chicken stock
    6 cups medium-diced white boiling potatoes, unpeeled (2 pounds)
    10 cups corn kernels, fresh (10 ears) or frozen (3 pounds)
    2 cups half-and-half
    1/2 pound sharp white cheddar cheese, grated

Directions

In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook the bacon and olive oil until the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and butter to the fat, and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.

Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and potatoes, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cob and blanch them for 3 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain. (If using frozen corn you can skip this step.) Add the corn to the soup, then add the half-and-half and cheddar. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a garnish of bacon.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    9 years ago

I don't know where I found this recipe, but we love it. If it came from someone on these forums - thank you very much!!

CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
    4 tablespoons butter
    3 cups corn
    1 large yellow onion
    6 ribs celery
    2 large carrots
    3 medium potatoes
    1 1/2 quarts chicken broth
    1 cup cream
    fresh italian parsley

In a stock pot, melt butter over low heat. Add whole chicken breasts and cook covered for 10 minutes, flipping once after 5 minutes. Cut chicken into cubes and set aside.

Dice onions, celery and carrots. Place in the stock pot with the butter used to cook the chicken. Saute over medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
    Put 2 cups of corn in the blender with 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Puree until smooth.

Dice potatoes . I leave the skins on because it is much healthier that way and I don't mind the heartiness they add to the soup.

Add potatoes, chicken, stock, pureed and whole corn to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook partially covered for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.

Add cream and garnish with chopped parsley. Grind fresh pepper over the top and add salt to taste.

Serves 8

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

I make corn chowder more than anything in our rotation of favorites.
    Seems twice a week.
    DH just said he wants it for our Christmas meal...with scallops, shrimp, and salmon.
    (the duck thawing is still very frozen, so it will be rotised friday.)

I give it a twist each time, but the basic chowder is much like JamieOliver's.
    I've never used flour or milk/cream though. I take a cup of the soup when the potatoes are tender and blender that with half the fresh/frozen corn. And use a homemade stock for the broth. I've added coconut milk, cilantro stems, and limes to finish with cilantro leaves.
    Sometimes ginger.
    I freeze so much corn from the summer market, but frozen grocery corn is a good back-up.
    I roasted another kakai squash yesterday...another good addition to the blender mix. It is a mild white squash, and adds a creaminess.
    I must have a hundred pics in my chowder photo file...

Here is a link that might be useful: corn chowder

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths