SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Argh: yet ANOTHER stressful trip to the paint store!

bayareafrancy
15 years ago

I hate going to my local paint store. They always try to talk me into different things than what has been advised on this forum. They always make me feel like an incompetent putz (which I AM, but they needn't make me feel that way!) Last time they could barely contain their snickers when I asked for Cabinet Coat.

Today's trip.

Me: (Pointing to the Impervo Alkyd) Can I please get a quart of that, but in the waterborne.

Paintguy: in the green can?

Me: I don't know what color the can is.

Paintguy: Then how do you know that's what you want?

Me: (Thinking, WTF????) Because several painters have advised that I use it. Do you carry it?

Paintguy: It's in the back. We don't usually sell it to the general public b/c it's harder to work with.

Me: Yes, I've heard that. I prefer working with oil because I'm a very slow painter, but I can't deal with the mineral spirits anymore.

Paintguy starts pushing the Aura on me.

Me: I've heard the Aura is even more difficult to work with than the waterborne Impervo.

Paintguy (shaking head, and giving me that 'look'): No it's much easier to use. Where did you hear it was hard?

Me: Oh, from several folks who have tried it.

Paintguy is going into an Aura sales talk (basically calls it something along the lines of 'idiotproof'). Stresses that it will give much better coverage on kitchen cabinets. All I can do is reply that I'm more comfortable with something that is tried and true, like the Impervo. He shrugs and gives up, giving me that look that says I'm a fool to doubt him.

I won't even go into the conversations we had about rollers...

It was SO stressful!!

But I got the Impervo. Just a quart, in case I can't get the hang of it.

Oh--he also said to start with a wet brush (and to clean it during use as it gums up). But I just recently read here (maybe from randita??) that when using the acrylic Impervo, the brush needs to be BONE DRY. She stressed that. Else it makes a mess. Opinions??

I'm so stressed out at this point, I'm considering a plane trip to faron's store so he can sell me paint in a more friendly environment!

Argh!

Francy

Comments (9)