SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sigh_gw

baking with booze- favorite recipes?

sigh
16 years ago

My local liquor store (this sounds so odd)is having a baking contest & I feel compelled to enter. The requirement is any baked goods that feature a liquor or spirit.

I've been toying with some of my favorites...will probably bake them as a "test drive" for Thanksgiving. Probably Guiness Stout Spice Cake and Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie.

Anyone have any favorites that they'd like to share? ("I swear, I only use the stuff for cooking!")

Nina

Comments (29)

• lindac
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Grand marnier cake....I'll have to hunt for the recipe.
    Linda C

• becky_ca
    16 years ago

This is a favorite at Christmas :-)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grandma's Rum Cake

Recipe By :Teri Morrison
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 package Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
    1 package vanilla instant pudding (4 serving size)
    1/3 cup oil
    1 cup water
    4 eggs
    3/4 chopped pecans
    Glaze:
    1/2 cup butter
    1/4 cup water
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup Bacardi Rum (80 proof)

Mix together cake mix, pudding, oil, water and eggs in large bowl until well blended. Spread evenly chopped nuts on the bottom of greased Bundt pan. Pour prepared cake mix into pan and bake as directed on cake mix box in a 350* oven. Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center of cake comes clean.
    While cake is cooling. Melt butter in saucepan, stir in water and sugar. Boil for 5 minutes while stirring constantly. Then stir in rum. After cake cools for 10 minutes pour glaze over cake letting it run down all the sides and center. Let it soak into the cake for a while. Let cake cool until you can handle cake pan to invert.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    NOTES : I like to use Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum. You can also sub some rum for the water in the cake batter.

This cake really tastes best after it's had a couple of days for the flavors to blend.

• Related Discussions

LOOKING for: Favorite Baked Macaroni

Q

Comments (4)
    Here are a couple of recipes still in my 'to do' file........... Posted by: PatW (My Page) on Mon, Sep 23, 02 at 16:13 Megan, this one sounds like it'll be what you're looking for: MELLOW MACARONI CHEESE BAKE 8 oz. elbow macaroni 1 small onion, finely chopped 1/4 c. (1/2 stick)butter 1/4 c. flour 1 c. milk 1/2 tsp. salt 1 1/2 c. grated sharp Cheddar cheese (6 oz.) 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 1 c. (1/2 pt.)sour cream (at room temperature) 1/2 lb. bacon, crisply fried and crumbled, OR1/4 c. buttered bread crumbs OR 1/2 c. grated Cheddarcheese (optional) Butter a 2 quart casserole. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. In saucepan, saute onion in butter until transparent; stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add milk and cook, stirring, until sauce thickens. Add salt, Worcestershire sauce and cheese; heat, stirring, until cheese melts. Empty sour cream into large bowl; gradually add hot sauce, stirring constantly. Fold in macaroni. Pour into casserole and sprinkle with bacon, crumbs or cheese, if desired. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly. Makes 6 servings. Noodles Romanoff Posted by gardengrl (My Page) on Tue, Jan 25, 05 at 15:13 This sounds really rich and sinful....it would go great with a pot roast. 12 ounces egg noodles 1 pound cream cheese softened 8 ounces sour cream 2 T butter 1 cup scallions chopped 1 clove garlic crushed ¼ tsp black pepper ¼ cup bread crumbs ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese Cook noodles according to directions until barely tender (al dente). Drain noodles. In a separate dish mix together cream cheese, sour cream, and butter. Stir cheese mixture into noodles. Add scallions, garlic, and pepper to noodle mixture. Pour noodle mixture into a buttered baking dish. Combine Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs and sprinkle over noodle mixture. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Spaghetti Pie with Broccoli Rabe Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine Show: Sara's Secrets Episode: Double Duty Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Yield: 6 servings 1 bunch broccoli rabe, thick stalks trimmed, remainder coarsely chopped 8 ounces sweet or hot Italian sausage, removed from casings 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 2 1/2 cups cooked thin spaghettini 4 ounces Italian Fontina or Monterey Jack, cut into 1/3-inch cubes 8 large eggs, lightly beaten Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cook broccoli rabe in boiling salted water 5 minutes, then drain in a colander. Meanwhile, cook sausage meat in an ovenproof, 8 to 10-inch, heavy skillet (preferably cast iron) over moderately high heat, breaking up meat with a spoon, until browned and crisp. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl and drain off excess oil from pan. Add oil and garlic to skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add broccoli rabe and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Add salt, then pepper, to taste. Add to sausage with spaghetti, cheese, and eggs. Toss well and spoon mixture into skillet, spreading to smooth top. Bake in middle of oven until center is set but still moist, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Sharing family favorite: Bake Sweet Potato

Q

Comments (1)
    Glenda, that sounds very, very good. I love sweet potatoes and often just stick one in the microwave at work, that topping would make a nice change of pace from my butter, salt & pepper. Thanks. Annie
    ...See More

Recipe/cooking/baking sites

Q

Comments (11)
    Mine is food.com It even has a place you can sign up and then collect recipes in your own "cookbook". Then you can go through all that appeal and add them to your cookbook and go to that when looking for something. Don't have to search each time. I have over 600 in my cook book. I go there first when looking up a recipe. See if I found one there already that appealed to me. For blogs, I signed up on stumbleupon and put in your interests and then you will "stumble" upon new sites/blogs, that might not come up in a search. I have found tons of great recipe blogs that are so interesting to read and see recipes that I might never have found before.
    ...See More

Favorite twice baked potato recipe? Without cheese.

Q

Comments (16)
    I just bake the potatoes, remove most of the potato but leave enough to support the skin "boats." I mash the potatoes with milk, butter, salt and pepper. To that I might add sour cream and shredded cheddar. Then I shovel the potatoes into the boats, top it with a pat of butter (and more cheese or not) and stick it into the oven to warm through. You can add anything that appeals to you for mashed potatoes. I like chives, but DH doesn't. Sometimes I do not add cheese and just top it with cheese. You could use chicken broth instead of milk. It all depends on what you like.
    ...See More
  • triciae
    16 years ago

This needs to be made ahead of time & has a lot of ingredients. But, it's not at all hard to make & never fails to be delicious.

PLUM PUDDING WITH GRAND MARNIER HARD SAUCE

Makes about a dozen servings.

2 Cups Chopped Walnuts
    1 3/4 Cups Dried Currants
    1 3/4 Cups Golden Raisins
    3/4 Cup Chopped Candied Orange Peel
    3/4 Cup Chopped Candied Lemon Peel
    1/2 Cup Chopped Candied Citron
    1/2 Cup Chopped Pitted Prunes (dried PLUMS, hence Plum Pudding!)
    1 Cup AP Flour
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    1 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
    1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
    2 Cups Dried Fresh Breadcrumbs, lightly toasted
    1 Cup Firmly Packed Light Brown Sugar
    3 Eggs, slightly beaten
    1/3 lb. Ground Suet (I have to grind this in my food processor)
    1 Granny Smith Apple, cored and finely chopped
    1 Carrot, peeled and grated
    1/4 Cup Fresh Orange Juice
    1/4 Cup Grand Marnier
    1/4 Cup Cognac
    1 Teaspoon Sugar

Butter a 2 1/2 quart mold thoroughly (use a bundt pan w/o too many details)

Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl or stockpot. Mix in flour, salt, allspice, and ginger. Add breadcrumbs, brown sugar, eggs, suet, apple, carrot, orange juice, and Grand Marnier and mix well.

Pack tightly into prepared pan. Cover with parchment paper cut to fit. Then, cover with foil and tightly seal foil down around edges of pan. Push your finger through the hole in the center of the bundt pan and crimp the foil down around the hole to seal. Then, place another larger piece of foil over the entire pan and seal tightly at edges. Lastly, take a knife and poke through this second layer of foil where the hole is to allow steam to penetrate pan.

Place a rack in a large kettle and sit the pudding pan on the rack. Fill kettle with water to half-way up the sides of the pudding mold (pan). Cover kettle. Turn on the heat and bring to a strong simmer. Turn the heat down to a slow simmer. Steam the pudding for 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. adding more water, as necessary.

After the pudding is done, discard all wrapping materials and allow the pudding to sit for about 5-10 minutes. Place a plate over the pudding and flip to unmold.

Then, return pudding to the baking pan (you unmolded it just to make sure it didn't stick). Heat the brandy and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat, swirling pan occassionally, until warm. Ignite with a match. Pour over pudding. Wrap the pudding tightly and store in the refrigerator for 3-6 weeks to mellow.

Serve with hard sauce

GRAND MARNIER HARD SAUCE

1 Cup unsalted butter at room temperature
    3 Cups powdered sugar, sifted
    1/4 Cup Grand Marnier
    1 Egg Yolk

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add Grand Marnier and yolk and beat until smooth. Transfer to a serving dish. Refrigerate until firm. Bring to room temperature before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

/tricia

• sigh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LindaC- you just reminded me of a mammoth confection involving grand marnier, oranges and profiteroles! I haven't made that in forever. Too much work for this little event but I need to dust that recipe off & trot it out again.

becky- can I drink the rum while I make the cake?!

Triciae-you know, I did toy with a plum pudding but don't they need to sit for about a month (kinda like my mincemeat does)? I've also never made one before but I've been meaning to. After all I've got this perfectly good pudding mold that I picked up for a steal at Williams Sonoma.

Unfortunately this is now resulting in a lot more stuff in my "must try" recipe pile!

Nina

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

I forgot about the rum cake, I used to make that. But I like bourbon pecan pie. That bit of bourbon just works magic. No, I meant in the pie. LOL Sue

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

I love any dessert recipe with dark rum in it. I love the flavor that it adds especially to chocolate. We use Meyers dark rum in our Linzertorte recipe at Christmas.
    Clare

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

I used a recipe someone posted here to make a Kahlua Bourbon Chocolate cake with a ganache. It began with a cake mix. I may have lost the recipe with my tossed desktop but I'll look for it. Cake mix and all, it was to die for or from.

• khandi
    16 years ago

I have several recipes using Kahlua that I got from a Kahlua handbook. Will post if you want them!

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

nina, i have one for a brandy alexander pie. i'll pull it later when i get home and post if you are interested in that.

maybe what you should do is tell us what liqueres you have on hand or is that a silly question :-)

maryanne

• User
    16 years ago

I just posted this one for Alexa on a dessert thread. Someone on the forum made them awhile back and took a pic, wish I could recall who. They looked awesome

Here is a link that might be useful: Dulce de Leche Cream Puffs with Frangelico and Hazelnuts

• shaun
    16 years ago

OH the rum cake is YUMMY! Real butter, real rum, real rum, real rum.......

• beanthere_dunthat
    16 years ago

Nina? Just out of curiosity, what's the prize?

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

This sauce is also good served over lemon pound cake.

CHAMBORD MELBA SAUCE

10 oz. package of frozen raspberries, thawed and mashed
    1/2 cup currant jelly
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp. cornstarch
    1/4 cup Chambord liqueur
    1/2 tsp. lemon juice

In a small saucepan, combine raspberries, jelly and sugar. Stir over moderate heat until boiling. Whisk in cornstarch and liqueur; then simmer gently for 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Strain and chill before serving.

To serve, place fresh, poached or frozen peaches in tall stemmed glasses; add vanilla ice cream and top with melba sauce.

• craftyrn
    16 years ago

Home Cookin Chapter: Cookies to try

Brandy Cre Brûlée Bars
    ========================
    1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    5 egg yolks
    1/4 cup sugar
    1-1/4 cups whipping (heavy) cream
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon brandy or 1 1/2 teaspoon brandy extract
    1/3 cup sugar
    . 1. Heat oven to 350ºF. In medium bowl, mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar and the
    butter with spoon. Press on bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of ungreased
    square pan, 9x9x2 inches. Bake 20 minutes. 2. Reduce oven temperature
    to 300ºF. In small bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar with spoon
    until thick. Gradually stir in whipping cream and brandy. Pour over
    baked layer. 3. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until custard is set and knife
    inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour. For
    bars, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows. Place bars on cookie sheet lined with
    waxed paper. 4. In heavy 1-quart saucepan, heat 1/3 cup sugar over
    medium heat until sugar begins to melt. Stir until sugar is completely
    dissolved and caramel colored. Cool slightly until caramel has
    thickened slightly. Drizzle hot caramel over bars. (If caramel begins
    to harden, return to medium heat and stir until thin enough to
    drizzle.) After caramel on bars has hardened, cover and refrigerate
    bars up to 48 hours.

from Betty Crocker

Exported from Home Cookin 5.5 (www.mountain-software.com)

• beanthere_dunthat
    16 years ago

Tricia, that pudding looks wonderful.

Darn it! Why do I have to be surrounded by people who can't have alcohol these days? Not fair!

I have to admit my all time favorite booze "recipe" are dark chocolate truffles and a glass of port. :)

• sigh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh you guys are the best...and you're killing me! These all sound so good. And those profiteroles open up a whole world of potential. I think I'm going to do a batch this weekend and try different "additions" to the filling. This is purely for research, you understand.

The prize is a 100$ gc to the liquor store. It's not the prize that's motivating me so much as the idea.

This particular store is one of my favorites. They constantly have tastings & classes, they have an extensive selection of wines and odd spirits and their staff is very knowledgeable & very helpful. I once attended a pairing wine with food class in the store where a chef from one of the excellent local restaurants was preparing food on site-a course to accompany each glass of wine. Granted it was more of a tasting and sampling but it was SO COOL! Like being in the audience on a food network show, except that after the show all of the wine was 20% off and you went home with a stack of recipes.

Maryanne- Oh I'm happy to make a trip to the liquor store for ingredients! Please post the Brandy Alexander pie recipe. Isn't a Brandy Alexander basically a yummy pie of a drink to begin with? Served in a small, fancy glass?

We don't really keep liquers on hand as they tend to disappear. oops. I like to keep some Anisette or Cinchon on hand for coffee and a recent addition has been Licor 43 (it has a sort of vanilla & caramel scent & flavor and I can definitely see that finding it's way into lots of things in addition to an empty glass). But I will gladly go to the liquor store in the name of better baking ;-).

Nina

• beanthere_dunthat
    16 years ago

That sounds like my kind of liquor store. I love when stores have good customer education and show you how to use the products in new ways.

I'm noticing that most of the winners of these kinds of contests are the ones without a long ingredient list. Just something to consider. Most people freak if they see a long list of ingredients. Good luck!

The brandy alexander pie sounds good, too!

• arabellamiller
    16 years ago

Check this out:

Truffle Trio

12ounce Bittersweet chocolate; coarsely chopped
    9 tablespoon Unsalted butter; cut into tablespoons
    8 large Eggs; separated, at room temperature
    ¼ cup Plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
    2 tablespoon All-purpose flour

WHITE CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE LAYER:
    1 pounds White chocolate; coarsely chopped
    ¾ cup Heavy cream
    3 tablespoon Poire Willliams liqueur

MILK CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE LAYER:
    1 pounds Milk chocolate; finely chopped
    ¾ cup Heavy cream
    3 tablespoon Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur

BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE LAYER:
    1 pound Bittersweet chocolate; finely chopped
    1 cup Heavy cream
    6 tablespoon Godiva liqueur

Cocoa powder

Whipped cream

YIELD: 10 servings
    SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: One 8 1/2-inch springform pan.

Make the moist chocolate cake:
    1.Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 17 1/2 -by 11 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan. Line the bottom of the pan with baking parchment or waxed paper. Dust the sides of the pan with flour and tap out the excess.
    2.Melt the chocolate with the butter according to the directions in the Chocolate Melting Tips; set aside.
    3.In a 4 1/2-quart bowl of a heavy-duty elec trio mixer, using the wire whip attachment, beat the yolks with 3 tablespoons of the sugar on high speed until pale, 3 to 4 minutes. At low speed, beat in the melted chocolate mixture; increase the speed to medium and continue to beat for 2 minutes, until the mixture is silky and shiny. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand and sprinkle the flour over the chocolate batter (do not mix it in).
    4.In a grease-free 4 1/2-quart bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer, using the wire whip attachment, beat the egg whites at low speed until frothy. Gradually increase the speed to medium-high and continue beating the whites until they start to form soft peaks. One teaspoon at a time, gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and continue to beat the whites until they are stiff and glossy. Using a balloon whisk or rubber spatula, fold the beaten whites (along with the flour) into the chocolate mixture one-third at a time. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer with an offset metal cake spatula.
    5.Bake the cake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Run a small knife around the sides of the pan and invert the cake onto a wire rack. Peel the paper off the cake and allow it to cool completely.

Make the white chocolate truffle layer:
    1.Place the white chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the cream to a gentle boil. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let the mixture stand for 30 seconds to melt the chocolate. Gently stir until smooth; stir in the Poire Williams liqueur.

Begin to assemble the cake:
    1.Using the bottom of an 8 1/2-inch springform pan as a guide, cut out two 8 1/2-inch rounds from the moist chocolate cake layer. Place one of the rounds in the bottom of the spring-form pan. Scrape the white chocolate truffle mixture onto the cake round and spread it into an even layer. Freeze the cake for 1 hour, until set.

Make the milk chocolate truffle layer:
    1.Place the milk chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over median heat, bring the cream to a gentle boil. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let the mixture stand for 30 seconds to melt the chocolate. Gently whisk until smooth; stir in the Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur.
    2.Remove the cake from the freezer and scrape the milk chocolate truffle mixture over the white chocolate layer. Spread the mixture into an even layer. Return the cake to the freezer for another hour.

Make the bittersweet chocolate truffle layer:
    1.Place the bittersweet chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the cream to a gentle boil. Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate and let the mixture stand for 30 seconds to melt the chocolate. whisk in Godiva liqueur and gently whisk until smooth.
    2.Remove the cake from the freezer and scrape the bittersweet chocolate truffle mixture over the milk chocolate layer. Spread the mixture into an even layer. Return the cake to the freezer for 30 minutes.
    3.Place the second cake round on top of the bittersweet truffle layer and gently press down on the cake to seal it. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for 6 hours.

Unmold and garnish the cake:
    1.Using a portable blow dryer or damp, very hot towel, carefully heat the outside of the springform pan. Run a small, thinbladed knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake. Carefully remove the side of the springform pan.
    2.Dust the top of the cake with cocoa powder. Cut the cake into slices using a long sharp knife and garnish each slice with whipped cream

AM

The Dinner Chronicles

• kayskats
    16 years ago

arabellamiller
    I'm not much of a chocolate lover ... BUT that cake is awecome. Makes me want to trade in my tastebuds.
    Kay

• sigh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my goodness, Arabella, that just looks like a plate full of sin! Wow! I would love to make that...but for me, me, me!

Beanthere- the store is exactly like that. And it's all to their benefit. My husband came home with some sort of elderflower liquor that the "spirits" guy had told him was outstanding for margaritas. It looked like a big bottle of eau de cologne. But I have to tell you, I'll never use triple sec in a margarita again after using this stuff. And the drink was simply good, 100% agave tequila (again, thanks to the tequila tasting night sponsored by the store), the elderflower liquor and fresh lime juice, shaken with ice & served on the rocks. But I certainly never would have even looked at the stuff if it hadn't been for the spirits guy. I mean, elderflowers?

I do appreciate your suggestion about the lengthy list of ingredients. It's a good one and it hadn't occurred to me. Maybe I can do one involved & one straightforward recipe?

Nina

• arabellamiller
    16 years ago

I often use Azul Organic Blue Agave Nectar as a sweetener. It's perfect for margaritas and cocktails, but sometimes I'll use it as a liquid sweetener for baking. It's non-alcoholic and kosher, and I love the flavor.

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

I didn't have any luck finding the recipe I used, gone with the old computer no doubt. But this looks like the cake.

Chocolate Kahlua Pound Cake Recipe

Ingredients:

1 box (pudding recipe) devil's food cake mix
    1/2 c. sugar
    1/3 c. oil
    3 eggs
    3/4 c. water
    1/4 c. bourbon
    1/2 c. Kahlua or coffee liqueur
    3/4 c. strong, black coffee
    2 tsp. cocoa

Cooking Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients and beat for 4 minutes. Bake in a greased bundt or tube pan for 50 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes; invert and cool completely on rack. Serve dusted with powdered sugar. Great when served with coffee ice cream.

It had a ganache recipe that came with it but this one from Joy of Baking looks just as good. I'd use bourbon instead of the brandy.

Ganache Recipe:

8 ounces (227 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces

3/4 cup (180 ml) heavy whipping cream

2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter

1 tablespoons cognac or brandy (optional)

Ganache: Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized stainless steel bowl. Set aside. Heat the cream and butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth. If desired, add the liqueur.

Makes enough ganache to cover a 9 inch (23 cm) cake or torte.

To Cover a Torte or Cake:

Note: If covering a cake that is to be refrigerated, make sure the cake is cold before covering with the ganache. This will ensure that the ganache does not dull when stored in the refrigerator.

If you love a rich chocolate cake, this will satisfy. Every time we ate a piece we said, OMG, this is SO good.

• velodoug
    16 years ago

I'm making bread pudding with Southern Comfort Sauce for dessert when friends come for dinner on Saturday. To make the SoCo Sauce I'll heat a cup of sugar and a stick of butter in a double boiler, slowly add and quickly whip in a beaten egg, let it cool, and stir in two ounces of Southern Comfort. I've tried soaking the raisins for the pudding in SoCo too, but it's too much of a good thing.

• diggerb2
    16 years ago

That rum cake is always a winner. I usually use dark myers rum to make it. I usually use all rum no water in the cake batter. and then let the glaze cool before adding the rum.
    i really like the cake when it sticks to the pan when you turn it out and you have to force yourself tyo eat it all warm and really boozy. oh, wait-- that never happens.

• sigh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Round one of the test driving was this weekend with the bourbon walnut pie as the winner for now. Think pecan but with a warmer, deeper taste and a much crispier, toastier nut.

I also made a pumpkin bourbon cheesecake which was better for breakfast the second day. A bit too heavy on the nutmeg, I think. Good but nothing outstanding. The pie was eye rolling kind of good.

This weekend we will attempt rum cake, along with trying various flavorings mixed into the creme anglais for the Dulce de Leche cream puffs. I'm suspecting that licor 43 may work magic there.

Nina

• patti43
    16 years ago

This is one of my favs--and everyone loves it. Very moist,
    but I have a great recipe for fudge with Bailey's Irish Cream--but don't know if it'd qualify for a baking contest, but let me know if you'd like to try it.

If you can enter more than once, I'd sure enter this one. It's delicious.

KAHULA CAKE

1 box yellow cake mix
    1 box (3.4 oz.) instant chocolate pudding mix
    1/2 c. Wesson oil
    1/2 c. Kahlua
    1/2 c. water
    4 eggs
    1/2 c. chopped pecans

Mix all ingedients together. Grease bundt pan and sprinkle in the pan. Pour batter over nuts and bake at 325 degrees for about 60 minutes.

Glaze: 1 c. sugar, 1 stick butter, 1/4 c. Kahlua, 1/4 c. water.

Mix in saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook about three minutes and when the sugar is melted. Poke holes in the cake (I use a chopstick--whatever you have to make holes big enough to soak in the glaze.

Spoon glaze over the warm cake while still in pan. (Glaze will be very thin). Let set until cake will come out of the pan easily.

• pat_t
    16 years ago

More for your consideration:

APRICOT BRANDY SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE

1 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
    1/2 cup apricot brandy, Cointreau, Grand Marnier, Triple Sec or Amaretto
    3/4 cup apricot nectar or orange juice
    1 tsp. finely grated or finely chopped orange zest
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    6 eggs, at room temperature
    1 Tblsp. vanilla extract
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sour cream
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking soda

Place the apricots, brandy, and apricot nectar in a small saucepan and bring to a low boil over medium heat. Off heat, cover and set aside for at least 20 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 325° F. Lightly grease a tube or bundt pan.
    Place the orange zest and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle and spin/mix for 5 minutes. Add the butter and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl before each addition. Add the vanilla and mix.
    Add 1-1/2 cups flour and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add 1/2 cup sour cream.
    Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the remaining 1-1/2 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda, and beat well.
    Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the remaining 1/2 cup sour cream.
    Drain the apricots and set aside the extra liquid. Fold the apricots into the batter, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and gently spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Transfer to oven and bake until a tester comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool for 5 minutes and prick the surface of the cake with a toothpick. Brush on the reserved liquid and cool to room temperature.

From The Bake Sale Cookbook by Sally Sampson. ISBN 0-684-86229-8.

DRUNKEN CHOCOLATE PECAN CAKE

INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE PECAN CAKE:
    12 oz. semisweet chocolate
    1 cup unsalted butter
    8 egg yolks
    1/2 cup bourbon
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    8 egg whites
    1-1/2 cups whole shelled pecans, ground

INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
    1 lb. semisweet chocolate
    3/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup shelled pecan halves
    Whipped cream

TO PREPARE THE CAKE:
    Preheat oven to 300° F. Melt the chocolate and butter in a saucepan, stirring to blend. Combine the egg yolks, bourbon and 3/4 cup of the sugar in the top of a double boiler. Cook over simmering water until creamy and light yellow, beating constantly with a wooden spoon.
    Beat the egg whites and the remaining 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold in the egg yolk mixture. Fold in the melted chocolate and the pecans. Spoon into a 10-inch springform pan. Bake for 1-3/4 hours. Let cool in the pan. Remove the pan side.

TO PREPARE THE FROSTING:
    Melt the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring constantly until smooth. Let stand until thick enough to spread, stirring frequently. Level the cake top, using a serrated knife. Frost the cooled cake. Decorate with pecan halves. Serve topped with whipped cream. Yield: 10 to 12 servings.

From Dining by Design Stylish Recipes * Savory Settings. Copyright 1999. By The Junior League of Pasadena, Inc.

FRANGELICO CHOCOLATE CAKE SUPREME

3 eggs, separated
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup light brown sugar
    2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1-1/2 Tblsp. baking soda
    3/4 cup strong cold coffee
    3/4 cup Frangelico liqueur

Grease and flour two 9" cake pans. Preheat oven at 350° F. Beat egg whites until frothy then beat in sugar until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time. Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda together. Add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee and Frangelico. Blend well. Fold egg whites into batter. Pour into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Cool 10 minutes, invert on wire rack, and remove pans. Cool before frosting.

Frangelico Frosting:
    6 Tblsp. Butter
    1 lb. sifted powdered sugar
    3 Tblsp. Frangelico liqueur
    2-3 Tblsp. hot coffee

In large bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar. Add Frangelico and hot coffee, beat until smooth.

Source: Frangelico Liqueur Recipe Booklet.

BAILEY'S CHOCOLATE MOUSSE PIE

1 ready-made piecrust (graham or chocolate)
    1 envelope unflavored gelatin
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    3/4 cup milk
    3/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur
    6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
    2 cups frozen whipped topping
    Chocolate-dipped strawberries, if desired

In saucepan, sprinkle unflavored gelatin over milk; let stand about 1 minute. Stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
    Add chocolate and continue cooking, stirring constantly until chocolate is melted; stir in vanilla. Remove from heat and stir occasionally, adding Bailey's about five minutes after removal from heat. When mixture forms mounds when dropped from spoon, fold in whipped topping. Turn into crust. Garnish with more whipped topping and strawberries, if desired. Chill at least 4 hours before serving.

DRUNKEN CHOCOLATE TART

Crust:
    2 cups flour
    2 Tblsp. sugar
    Pinch of salt
    1-1/2 cups cold, unsalted butter
    3 Tblsp. shortening
    3 - 4 Tblsp. ice water

Place flour, sugar, and salt in bowl of food processor and blend. Add butter and shortening, blending until crumbly (like cornmeal). Add 2 to 3 Tblsp. of ice water; blend and add more water, if needed. Process until dough forms a ball. Remove dough, wrap in plastic, and chill for at least one hour. Press dough evenly into sides and bottom of an 8- to 10-inch tart pan, with a removable bottom. Prick the bottom with a fork and chill until ready to fill.

Filling:
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    3/4 cup light corn syrup
    1/4 cup melted butter
    3 large eggs
    6 Tblsp. bourbon
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1 cup walnuts
    3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Mix brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, eggs, whiskey, and vanilla. Sprinkle walnuts and chocolate chips over bottom of chilled tart crust. Pour filling mix over nuts and chocolate. Bake approximately 35 to 45 minutes at 350° F. until the center is softly set. Let cool before serving. Serves 8-12.

MARGARITA FROZEN PARTY PIE

1-1/2 cups crushed pretzels
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
    1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup Tequila
    4 Tblsp. Triple Sec liqueur
    1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, chopped
    2 cups whipped cream
    food coloring

Mix crushed pretzels, margarine, and sugar. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan.

In a bowl mix Tequila, Triple Sec, condensed milk, and lime. Pour half of the mixture in another bowl.

Add strawberries and a few drops of red food coloring to one half. Fold in 1 cup whipped cream. To other half, add only a drop or two of yellow food coloring and 1 cup whipped cream.

Spoon into crust, alternating colors. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight. Makes 1 (9-inch) pie.

PAPPADEAUX'S SWEET POTATO PECAN PIE WITH BOURBON SAUCE

1-1/4 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes (2 medium potatoes)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 Egg -- lightly beaten
    1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
    Pinch of salt
    3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    3/4 tsp. allspice
    3/4 tsp. nutmeg
    3 Tblsp. softened butter
    1 unbaked pastry for a single -- crust 9"-10" pie shell
    Pecan filling and Bourbon sauce

PECAN PIE FILLING:
    1-1/4 cups sugar
    1-1/4 cups dark corn syrup
    3 eggs -- lightly beaten
    3 Tblsp. unsalted butter -- softened
    1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
    Pinch of salt
    3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1-1/4 cups chopped pecans

BOURBON SAUCE:
    1-1/2 cups heavy (whipping) cream
    1 cup milk
    1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix (4-serving size)
    3 Tblsp. bourbon, brandy or rum
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325° F.

Combine mashed sweet potatoes, sugars, egg, cream, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and butter in an electric mixing bowl and beat at medium-low speed until smooth, do not overmix.

To assemble pie, spoon sweet potato filling into the pastry-lined pie pan. Fill shell evenly to the top with pecan filling. Bake 1-1/2 hours or until a knife inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean.

Store pie at room temperature for 24 hours. Serve pie slices with Bourbon Sauce on top or to the side.

Prepare Pecan Pie Filling: Combine sugar, syrup, eggs, butter, vanilla, salt and cinnamon in an electric mixing bowl and beat on low speed until syrup is opaque, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in pecans, mix well.

Prepare Bourbon Sauce: Combine cream and milk in a large mixing bowl. Slowly whip in pudding mix. Add bourbon and continue whipping. Add vanilla and whip until mixture is well blended to sauce consistency (should not be as firm as pudding, but should not be runny). Sauce should be made about one hour before use; it will thicken as it sits.

• minsue67
    16 years ago

My Favorite Recipe:
    1 glass
    Ice
    Couple shots of your favorite liquor

Put ice into glass, pour liquor over top and serve to yourself just before you spend time with the inlaws this Holiday season.