SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fasola_shapenote

Pratt & Lambert paints and primers? And: oil-based enamel paints

fasola-shapenote
15 years ago

Hey y'all,

I've got a few questions.

I'm building a new home, and am busy choosing interior paints and primers. I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums (these things are great!) and it seems that the general advice about paint is to stay away from the cheap mass-market brands like Home Depot's Behr and Lowe's Valspar. There have been a lot of great brands mentioned, and it seems that the great majority of folks feel that Pratt & Lambert is an excellent paint. I'm going to be painting the ceilings and part of the walls (the other part of the walls will be wallpapered), and while I'm not looking for anything really expensive and fancy (I'm not Frasier), I would like something that's going to look good and hold up well for decades. I only need one color, and it's a pretty basic traditional neutral beige/cream tone. So do y'all think that Pratt & Lambert would be an okay paint for this?

Second question: I'm leaning heavily towards oil-based enamel paint for the interior. Oil-based paints hold up a lot better, especially to washing/scrubbing, since oil naturally repels water. While I understand that the water-based/latex technologies have come a long way in the past few years, everything I've read says that oil-based enamel paints still hold up the best, hands-down...especially in humid environments like kitchens and bathrooms. Besides, there's some logic to the idea that if something cleans up (i.e. splatters on the floor) with water, washing walls painted with it using water will damage it.

Pratt & Lambert seems to be one of the only companies that still makes an oil-based enamel paint in a subdued sheen (they offer it in eggshell and satin), as opposed to Behr and Valspar and the others, who only offer it in gloss and semi-gloss. Glossy paint looks really, REALLY tacky to me...flat sheens are more traditional and formal, and just look nicer. Does anyone have any recommendations for other companies that make an oil-based enamel paint in a flat or eggshell sheen, or do y'all think Pratt & Lambert would be okay?

I'm also planning on using Pratt & Lambert's primers under the paint. Any reason(s) I shouldn't?

In an interesting twist -- I've read that the reason that oil-based paints have fallen by the wayside is the government's modern regulations about VOCs. The hippies want to ban VOCs, but the downside is that low-VOC paints simply don't perform as well as the older (pre-early-1990s) high-VOC paints. The twist is this: according to this article (http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/reg18v4h.html), the government has enacted VOC regulations which effectively kill the use of oil-based paints...yet a different department of the government itself says that "Oil-based flat enamel performed better than any other paint" (http://www.ornl.gov/sci/res_buildings/FEMA-attachments/Flood_damage_reconstruction.pdf)

What a lovely bureaucracy we have!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County