SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
namabafo

Exterior makeover (again!)

11 years ago

Hey GWebbers. I am back *still* seeking advice for my exterior makeover! My original posting from a year or so ago has fallen off the boards--I had life intervene and had to put my project on hold, but now am able to get back into it.

I had posted some designs, trying to "make it work" and got lots and lots of valuable feedback that actually made me re-think the scope of the project.

Here is the house in question: In MA, built in 1975 in a neighborhood of colonials, gambrels, raised ranches and 70's contemporaries.

when we bought in 2004:

today:

Must do:
remove front overhang--it is useless and falling off.
new roof

want desperately:
mudroom

My previous drawings tried to create a mudroom in the dead space to the right of the front door, by pulling our the entry. It so didn't work.

so my latest idea is to extend the garage 5 ft and build mudroom inside the garage across the back.

here is the *preliminary* plan--still very fluid as to design of mudroom and size. We'll replace the useless overhang with a small entry porch. With the update, we will re-side, probably with Certainteed vinyl shingle--if we do that we may as well replace the 40 year old casement windows--probably with double hung in a more colonial/cottagey look.

then the exterior would look like this:

or this:

The new triple window in the living room is a bump out probably with a window seat. The dormer on the garage is a dummy--just to break up the expanse of the roof and balance it out. The window sizes/styles need tweaking. The porch will be staggered back slightly from the front plane of the garage as will the new garage extension, which is hard to tell from the elevation drawings.

I am much happier with this idea than I ever was with the other. I will take any and all advice--if you remember my previous postings, I've been struggling with this for almost 9 years! Anything is better than what is here, but I would like to get it closer to "right". We plan to be here for about 7-8 more years min. but this is a very sought after neighborhood--the house across the street (a gorgeous large garrison) just sold in 24 hrs with 3 offers over asking price.

thanks if you've read all this!
Nancy

Comments (17)