SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Exterior color palette makeover, English cottage style

2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

My house needs a new roof, and while contemplating what style roof to replace the current one with, I have hatched a plan to make it part of a whole exterior makeover. I inherited this house and have never really liked it, particularly the exterior. I am slowly revamping the landscaping. Transitioning loosely to cottage style. Lots of projects, so don't need advice for that, most of it is a work in progress.

The home is a mish mash of architecture, so while googling inspiration photos for the exterior using "brick cottage roofs" I stumbled upon the "Tudor" style, (as opposed to maybe something like "Cotswold" style cottage.) Right now the color palette of my house is vaguely colonial with a "red white and blue (ish grey)" look which I hate. I want to transform it into a more natural color palette with a less contrasting roof color, picking up on some of the brownish grey, bronze, beige and putty tones in the brick. Planning on redoing the white siding (it was improperly installed), and new gutters, downspouts and painting the garage doors. (Can't afford new ones).

I'm posting here because I'm not naturally good at this kind of thing and was wondering if anyone here has any advice and especially web sites or photos they found helpful making such a transition. Here is a photo of my house, front and back. Not good but just for color example, I don't have better shots. Deck has been redone, white lattice painted matching red, dying shrubs removed, fire pit added. White siding redo will be part of the makeover. Also a photo of a couple of my inspirations. Not the style, the color palette. My brick is mottled. I don't want a white and grey "Magnolia" style makeover. Earth tones. Again for emphasis, I am not painting the brick. Just a roof, trim and siding redo.

This shows the current color palette pretty well.

Photos for colors only, examples of less contrasting color palette with brick. I realize my brick is more reddish.

Comments (10)