SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Is painter going to do a good job for my mom?

2ajsmama
13 years ago

I deglossed Mom's bright yellow 70's era semi-gloss wall paint in hallway last year, primed it with Glidden "Gripper" primer. They also had sheetrock put in sunroom to replace old paneling, I primed that too. Now she has finally decided on colors (that's another post), I got Duration Matte for hall (lots of patching from tearing old mirrored tiles off) and Satin for sunroom, picked up Duration semi-gloss (what she wanted for sunroom walls) told her to use it on trim, also got Ace Cabinet Door and Trim (or whatever their version of Cabinet Coat is called) in case she wanted that on trim and masonite doors.

Her painter is telling her that as long as the surface is is good condition ("might just do a little sanding since new sheetrock is rough") it doesn't need to be primed again 13 months later. I think if she's spending $100 on paint and who knows what on the labor that she should prime again just to be safe. Does this pro know what she's talking about, or is my mom going to have a problem with the paint adhering (esp. in the sunroom, after temperature and humidity cycles throughout the next year)?

Comments (3)