SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mybrowneyedgirls

Is this a smart upgrade or waste of money?

mybrowneyedgirls
13 years ago

I'll try not to ramble :)

There was a post yesterday that I could have written every word of myself--the one about upgrading a house that may be sold in the near future. We are back and forth about wanting to move. If we decided to build, we have to move soon because our city (which we want to stay in) is becoming land-locked and only about 10-12 home sites are left to build on. But if we do move soon so that we can build, it will not be a major upgrade due to finances, just a bit more space and newer finishes (our current home is 9yrs old).

We have done some upgrading, mainly in the kitchen (painted cabinets white, replaced counters with granite, ss appliances, new lighting), and we have also replaced tile and carpet throughout the first floor with hardwood (in the entry, hall, 1/2 bath, family room, and kitchen). We still have carpet in the living and dining rooms. If we stay, then I would like to tear out the carpet and continue the hardwood in there. It never made sense to me to have carpet in the dining room--we never use it because of fear of staining the carpet with food. Also, when you enter the home, the entry and hall are all hardwood, but the living room, which is right off the entry, is carpet, so people never step into that room and off of the hardwood--they just sort of balance on the hardwood, careful to not step on the carpet--not very welcoming.

After a lot of looking online and talking to contractors, I have located the same hardwood we used everywhere else for a really great price, and including labor, we can get the living and dining rooms (about 320 sq ft) done for about $1500. So my question is, if we do decide to move in 9 months or so, would this be a good investment for resale? For me, I know it would be a major plus when looking at homes to find one with hardwood throughout the main floor. But would we recoup the money? I know it doesn't sound like much money, but we are trying to save up to move in the near future, and we have already done so many other upgrades to the house, so I'm just not sure. And then there's the possibility that we may be here for 2 more years, which in that case, it would be worth just for us to have for ourselves, and resale wouldn't matter as much. Just looking for opinions--what do you guys think? Thanks!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH