SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Wasting an Airline's Time -- My Rant

chisue
9 years ago

My annual complaint:

I guess I have taken up at least six hours of AA agents' time in the last two weeks, trying to book our next winter's trip to Maui: Late December - Late March.

We buy coach and use 30K miles pp to 'pay' for upgrades to first class -- along with $350 pp for the privilege of using them.

It isn't possible to find "upgrade-able" seats online, so there is an additional $30 pp fee to book by phone.

It isn't possible to book our return, so we have to book a 'fake' return, then pay $200 pp for a ticket change when the calendar opens for bookings we need.

Only a 767 or better aircraft is worth upgrading. AA has only two such flights to Maui, both via DFW. They moved one from a noon departure to one that would require us to depart Chicago O'Hare at 5 a.m. (Not smart in winter weather.) The other flight has no upgrades available now. We have had to settle for a flight Chicago-Dallas-Honolulu-Maui, and had to fight to get that after an agent 'lost' our reservation for the upgrade. This fare is $200 pp more than the cost of our one-stop to and from Maui this winter.

Still ahead...finding an upgrade for our return next year; paying another $200 pp for ticket change; not knowing how the fare will change.

There has to be "a better way" to DO this!

(I'm grateful we can travel, etc., but this not only makes me crazy -- it doesn't seem to make sense for the airline.)

Comments (11)