SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

Family Dining Room / Country Victorian?

igloochic
14 years ago

I just want to pick brains for ideas for our family dining room. I have most of the furniture now (I still want a small chest or buffet for a lamp) but it seems I've gone very light...perhaps in contrast to all the walnut elsewhere in the house.

Anyhoo, with all this light furniture the room is kind of....well insipid LOL I need to take the wallpaper off and paint...so I want ideas for paint colors and anything else that pops out at you. :o)

The table is a gorgeous chunky pine table. I have it paired with antique oak chairs that need to be recovered (the seats) so I'm open to ideas there...I'm thinking a bright floral tapestry that will hide the messes children can make and bring some debth of color to the room.

{{!gwi}}

I have two pine cupboards to hang on the wall. The one is already decorated with what will likely be in the family dining room after we redo the kitchen and expand the walls (it will hang on the wall where the horrible folding doors are most likely).

{{!gwi}}

And then there's this simple one as well to hang on a wall.

{{!gwi}}

I have two of these wicker chairs (they're antique, quite sturdy and comfortable) and an ottoman...I think they need darker upholstry, again in a tapestry and floral but not the same as the dining chairs I think:

{{!gwi}}

I have an antique pine amoire in the basement that I will bring up here for the tv (DH and I hope to watch morning news and drink coffee in here).

And then there's the possible art idea...there are several pictures of the house laying around the house that have been painted by visiting artists. I thought maybe it would be fun to bring them into the same area. Here are a couple:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The floor is carpet now (which I HATE for a dining room and will remove). Under the carpet is the original fir or pine floor...I think I'll paint it and give it a bit of a soft rustic look...

For the whole room I'm thinking casual, servant's dining room cobbled together from different areas of the house as they often were, but also cozy and light.

The walls...I'm almost leaning to a soft blue, but I have a horrible dislike of blue in eating areas so I have to get sold on that. Perhaps a very light aqua, lemon, green????? I don't know. Something with a bit of color to offset the insipid white walls with the very light (insipid LOL) furnishings.

Any ideas????

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer