SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Find yourself disliking almost every option?

palimpsest
11 years ago

I am starting to look at fixtures,hardware and finishes for my new kitchen and new bath + two 3/4 baths. (Coming in 2014)

All will be very small: 7-1/2 x 12 for kitchen; 5 x 7 bath and 3 x 7-1/2 three-quarter bath.

I am a "completionist" so I will tend to look at every single faucet and every single light fixture on every suitable site I can find (thousands of options, literally),whenever I do a project.

I have come to the conclusion that For This Particular Project, I dislike about 99% of kitchen and bath faucets and 95% of suitable lighting fixtures available, and the vast majority of hardware as well.

Not that there isn't a lot of nice stuff out there, but the combination of period, style, finish, size, etc. has been very elusive.

I want the bathrooms to look as if they could possibly be original to the house (MCM, very modest, but "architect-y") without creating a facsimile bath.

In the two three-quarter baths, I will probably end up using Kohler Triton, which is a commercial line of faucets that they have been making for 50+ years. There is almost nothing else that looks anything like this anymore, and no other finish but chrome.

I may up lighting the 3/4" bath with exterior wet location fixtures that are a white-painted aluminum cylinder. They are about $35.

I wanted to go a bit more upscale in the main bath and
I did find one sconce I really liked that is "of the period" but transcends a particular date. It is made-to-order and starts at $2500.00. (That's about $75 a square inch).

High quality kitchen faucets are either overwrought faux Edwardian, huge faux industrial, or thick phallic elephant trunks. I am afraid to do something that looks about right but only costs $49.

I may end up using $2.00 wire pulls for kitchen hardware.

Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink.

Comments (54)