SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fearlessem

Does anyone here make their own veggie burgers?

fearlessem
13 years ago

Hi all --

I made my own black bean burgers for the first time using this recipe from Cooking Light, and they were absolutely delicious! The spicing was just perfect -- flavorful but the spicing didn't overwhelm the earthiness of the beans. I served them with sauteed onions and some melted cheddar and they were a huge hit. My only complaint would be the texture was a little soft -- I have read elsewhere online that adding some vital wheat gluten can help give them a firmer texture, so I think I'll try adding a quarter cup of that next time. Does anyone else have any bean or veggie burger recipes they'd recommend?

Quick Black Bean Burgers -- Recipe from Cooking Light

Yield: 4 patties (serving size: 1 patty)

Ingredients

1 (2-ounce) hamburger bun, torn into pieces

3 tablespoons olive oil, divided

2 teaspoons chopped garlic

1 (15.25-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 teaspoon grated lime rind

3/4 teaspoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 large egg white, lightly beaten

Preparation

1. Place bun in a food processor; process 4 times or until crumbs measure about 1 cup. Transfer to a bowl.

2. Combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, and beans in processor; pulse 8 times or until beans make a thick paste. Scrape bean mixture into bowl with breadcrumbs. Stir in rind and remaining ingredients. With moistened hands, divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions (about 1/3 cup mixture per portion), shaping each into a 3-inch patty.

3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes or until bottom edges are browned. Carefully turn patties over; cook 3 minutes or until bottom edges are done.

Emily

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations