SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

Oxtails are the 'chicken feet' of beef?

jessyf
14 years ago

Who did the chicken feet tutorial...goldgirl or gardengirl? Can't remember, but I do know that I now make an effort to include chicken feet in my holiday soup and people are amazed. The 'collagen' or 'glutinous goo' factor really adds to the dish.

Some time ago, the folks on the forum were talking Oxtails. I bought a package a few weeks ago and prepared them per Lorna Sass in the pressure cooker (30 minutes at high pressure, then natural cool down). The results were fabulous - DH and DS#2, who like ribs, enjoyed them. DS #1 and I did not as much - we felt they were like ribs - too much work for too little meat (except for the small pieces, as AnnT pointed out). That being said, the left over 'gravy' was so good I saved it for the next night and threw it in the PC again with stew beef. OMG. I recyled the leftovers into the freezer...wonder how much mileage I will get out of that, LOL.

I bought another 2.5 lb. package of oxtails yesterday, $5/lb., and this time I added 10 oz of them to a beef barley soup (PC again - 45 minutes total time from opening the fridge to table!) with some left over roast, cubed. The soup was noticeable thicker and richer, and DH gave it a big thumbs up.

I have the other oxtails 'food savered' and frozen in 10 oz portions - they will also go into beef stews etc. to bring them up a notch.

Any other comments/ideas? You can see a small piece of oxtail at 2:00 in my bowl.

Comments (21)