SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redellie_gw

Tween son not ambitious, kind but self absorbed

redellie
11 years ago

Hello!

I just want to see if you, parents out there have better ideas than me as to how to help my 12 yr old boy find himself/ his strengths. He's a younger brother, and never has completely come out of the "shadow"... He always prefers to have things done for him, has no real drive to achieve anything, though he likes to be in a band and plays saxophone - he NEVER plays at home. If you let him he will lay in bed all day, looking at youtube videos. He is a very nice person and caring about other people, but doesn't seem to notice how much his step dad and I have to work, around the house, and is never driven to help. He does his chores ( minimal, clean half the kids bathroom and his room once a week, do his laundry and feed the dogs every afternoon) grudgingly, and not well. At school he does ok, but misses home works often, writes on the wrong side of folded and dirty paper -just messy as anything. Otherwise he is smart and reads a lot, but it doesn't seem to translate into "common sense" - for instance asks me where the cleaning supplies are every week?

Comments (4)

Sponsored