SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

Trying to Calm My Son

ritaweeda
4 years ago

My son is in his 40's. He's been very blessed in that we were always able to make sure he had what he needed, if not always what he wanted. He's never been in a situation where things were dire. He was asking me if I'd ever seen anything like this happen before. I had to really stop and think. Then I remembered when I was a kid 2 things similar but then I was also a kid and kids have a different slant on everything. Adults clammed up when they knew the kids were listening to their conversations so that made it more difficult to know what was going on, too. I told him that I vaguely remember the polio scare but then I was only about 5 then. Later on I remembered the Cuban crisis but I was probably 7 or 8. As an adult I remember the oil embargo and the "beef shortage" - still don't know why that happened. Last of all of course the 9/11 attack. Since I was a kid during the first 2 and was pretty clueless about it all, do any of you out there remember and if so, did it seem really bad when you were going through it or do you feel like this is worse? I just remember that people (adults) were upset but they still seemed like they were in charge and that they were going to keep us safe, maybe that was just the drill back then?

Comments (32)