SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
centralcacyclist

Brandy peach jam.

centralcacyclist
12 years ago

This the jam I took to share with my fellow foodies in Los Angeles. The biscotti is dark because I have switched to making them with half brown sugar and almost all white whole wheat flour.

A friend brought me a large bag of cinnamon from her trip to Vietnam. Lovely stuff! And tumeric which is unlike the tumeric I am used to. Less earthy, more floral and cinnamon-y.

Ingredients.

Jam and biscotti.

Recipe. Instructions adapted from the Sure Jell website. Redundant for you canning experts.

What You Need

INGREDIENTS

4-1/2 cups prepared yellow peaches (buy about 4 lb. fully ripe yellow peaches)

1/3 cup 1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/2 cup brandy

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1-1/2 cups sugar measured into a separate bowl

1/2 cup sugar

1 box SURE-JELL For Less or No Sugar Needed Recipes Premium Fruit Pectin

1/2 tsp. unsalted butter (to reduce foaming)

EQUIPMENT

6 or 7 8-oz. canning jars, bands, and new lids

Canning pot and rack

Jar lifter

8-qt. heavy bottomed saucepan

Canning funnel

Make It

BRING boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Or run through a cycle in your dishwasher. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.

REMOVE peels from peaches by submerging in boiling water for 30-45 seconds using a slotted spoon. Remove and submerge in ice water. Using fingers or a paring knife, pull peel off peaches. Finely chop fruit by hand or in food processor with the 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Leave a few chunks.

MIX 1/2 cup sugar with contents of Sure-Jell packet

PLACE fruit in 8-qt. saucepan with heavy bottom; add lemon juice, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg, and 1/2 cup sugar mixed with contents of Sure-Jell packet. Bring to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining 1-1/2 cups sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

CHECK for set by placing a teaspoon of fruit mix on a well-chilled plate (freezer). Turn heat off while you do this. If not thick enough, boil for another minute, stirring constantly, and check on a freshly chilled plate. Repeat until desired consistency. (My batch needed a full two minutes of boiling.)

STIR in brandy.

LADLE immediately into hot prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 min. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger. (If lids spring back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

After opening, refrigerate and use within a few weeks. Low-sugar jams do not keep as long as full-sugar jams.

Comments (17)