SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amysrq

PSA - Please resize your photos so readers can help you!

amysrq
16 years ago

Okay, I know I am being a pain. And yes, for those of you who have been here for a while...I do rant about this every year or so. Buuut...when the photos are so large that I have to scroll back and forth across the screen to read the text, I just back out and go away. I know I am not alone. Yeah, you will survive without my advice ;-) but there may be others here whose input you could benefit from, if only they could see and read everything with less effort.

There are lots of new people here these days. That's great. But I'd just like to politely ask you guys to figure out how to make your pics forum-friendly.

In Photobucket, click on the photo. There will be a Resize option at the top. The drop-down looks like this:

Thumbnail (160 x 120)

Website, Email (320 x 240)

Message Board (640 x 480)

You want the last one.

Others may want to chime in here on how to work with different photo sharing sites, add click-able thumbnails, tinyURLs, embedded links, etc. There is also a test forum here on GW so you can mess around with your pics and learn to get them the way you want them to show up.

Comments (21)

• texashottie
    16 years ago

Irfanview! It's a free download and it's super easy and fast! You can resize your pics there.

• Shannon01
    16 years ago

Personally it does not bother me but I am also one who posts large pics, not because I do not care, but because I am not a computer genious. I obviously have not come across instructions if they have been posted in the past. heck, it took me forever to learn how to even post pictures efficiently. I appreciate someone actually posting the instructions under an actual subject heading as any past instructions inside a post were obviously missed. Also, there have been times when folks, not just on this forum but others, have asked for advice but the post gets buried with no replies.

Amy, I printed your instructions and will try to figure this out when I have time. But forgive me if I slipup sometimes as I am not always near my instructions if I am using another desk, etc. I have a hard enough time remembering my password, let alone remembering this kind of stuff. I do appreciate your help.

• Related Discussions

Request for help for the PSA - Need Photos

Q

Comments (11)
    LOL, I am only woring with the "un-registered" plumerias so I will have a blast finding good pictures of all the plumerias out there. I believe they number in the thousands so this could be a life long project! It will definitely be a challenge but I know the people on this forum have some great photos if I can talk them into sharing. So if you have a photo you would like to share, just send me an email with your picture and the name of the plumeria. Thanks again, Joan
    ...See More

Need help resizing photos

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi, There is a free photo utility offered by GOOGLE called PICASA. This will reduce your images easily, plus do a lot of other neat things. Go to GOOGLE.com, select ...more on the first page and then scroll down to Picasa. Follow prompts. You will love it.
    ...See More

Please help an avid young reader and her library!

Q

Comments (1)
    I have placed my vote!I will vote everyday and I have passed it to my friends and told them to vote for the chickens. I truly liked the video it was very cute!
    ...See More

Please help estimate the cost of cabinet door resizing

Q

Comments (4)
    Unfinished paint grade doors from a cabinet door company will probably run you around $100 each. The labor is what will cost you on this project. I'd expect the labor to be between $300-$500, depending on locale. This would be a fairly easy DIY job for someone who owns a screw driver and can wield a paint brush. However, I'd really caution you on the safety of having a MW located that high up. It IS an issue that you need to be aware of. It'll be LOT more difficult to clean, requiring the uses of a step stool to reach. It's too high to safely pull out hot beverages. It's well outside the average human's comfort reach zone unless you're 7' tall. It'd be downright dangerous for kids or shorter adults and your insurance company might not be that happy with you in creating such a safey hazard in your home.
    ...See More
  • chelone
    16 years ago

I don't even bother to finish the initial post when I see it will be a scroll to the right and then to left thing.

Thanks, Amy!

• cinlo
    16 years ago

Hey, thanks so much for those directions! I'm new to Photobucket and posting pics. I had wondered how to do it correctly!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Chelone and Amy, I'm the same. It really bothers me when pics are too big. I try to get past it but usually don't. Before I posted my Gallery threads I spent a couple of hours on each tweaking all my pics to make them forum friendly. I check and double-check in the preview mode before I hit send to make sure they can all be easily seen. I booboo'ed once and asked a moderator to please remove that pic; she removed the whole post and it took me over an hour to replace it.

• n2cookin
    16 years ago

I'd appreciate if someone would give instructions how to post a pic period. I use Windows Vista. Thanks so much!

• manisha517
    16 years ago

Is there a way to resize the photos after you have posted them? To edit the posting somehow?

• whenicit
    16 years ago

OK. Guilty. I'll try. I have never seen those settings on photobucket...mine says Image tag, HTML...am I looking in the right spot?

Also, I have a big monitor so I don't find that I have to scroll...

Thanks for the instructions. I'll try them out next time.

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

You have to click on "edit" first, then you can resize. FYI - the resize doesn't always "take". If that is the case - you have to refresh and sometimes that doesn't even work - THEN you have to clear your cache. I had problems with that this morning.

n2cookin - upload your photos to photobucket then copy and paste the HTML code in your GW message.

• annie1971
    16 years ago

Thanks and sorry; I do aim to please! Just didn't know any better! Will try harder.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

I'm glad you brought this up Amy, because I experienced something last week that I've taken for granted for awhile. I've been on high speed for quite awhile but was fixing a friend's PC who is still on dial-up because she is online so seldom it would be silly to pay the high cost of cable or DSL. But when I dropped into the forum here, while on her dial-up, there were some posts heavy with photos that I clicked back out of. Just couldn't bear to wait it out while all the photos loaded. It made me realize it would be nice to be aware and remember our dial-up users out there ;-)

About the only solution I can come up with is utilizing the thumbnail feature of PBucket. There are so many lovely homes to look at here, and so many inspirations, it would be a shame for anyone to miss out. ;)

manisha: nope, we don't have the ability to edit our posts with GW's software once we hit "Submit". If you find you've accidentally posted a pic that's too large, about the only thing you can do is break the link to the photo (move it elsewhere in photobucket or delete it), which will remove the original photo from the post. Then repost with a smaller version of the photo. ;-)

• patricianat
    16 years ago

B4iV, there was a 400 x 400 rule by GW, and if it was not adhered to, at least on the Garden forums, posts could and would be deleted.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

I'm glad this came up again. I'm another who will just find something else interesting to read when the photos go wide. I have DSL but I just don't want to have to scroll. And when you get your img inserted into your post, you ALWAYS get the Preview. When you see how giant your photo is in the Preview, it's just the right thing to do to go back and try to work at re-sizing, or even just post the link to the photo.

As Moonshadow said, there is NO Edit here at G.I. If you add a big photo, you can always go back to the place it's stored and break the link, but your words last forever. So use the Preview feature to Spellcheck, check your wording, and check to make sure your thought is conveyed the way you want.

I was looking for the instructions to post a photo in a thread for Ncookin, but cannot find them right now, and don't have the brainpower tonight to put it together myself. Anyone?

Red

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Good information to have, Amy. Personally, it doesn't bother me when pics are large and I have to scroll.

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

amy, what is your screen resolution set at? What is your display size? My older computer here has a 17 inch monitor with a 1280 x 1024 rez. How big are these photos you are talking about?

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

There is a site http://www.imageshack.us/ all you have to do is upload the photo, it resizes for you.

I'm actually liking my gmail account as I get free photo space with picasa. When I want to post a photo, there's an option on the right, it says Link to this Photo. I then click it, it gives me options for size

{{gwi:225576}}

The larger photos, some bother me, some don't. It depends on how large they are. The url's are what really get me when I have to scroll 5 inches.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

Posting photos on GardenWeb
    You cannot simply take a photo that is on your computer and place it here. First it needs to be uploaded onto a server somewhere on the internet. I use tinypics.com, others use Photobucket. There are lots of places where you can do this, I like tinypics because you don't need to register. Once you have uploaded the picture, do the following:

1. Go to the site where you have placed the photo and RIGHT CLICK click on the photo and LEFT CLICK on PROPERTIES, which is at the bottom of the pop up box.
    2. Highlight the entire ADDRESS and copy it, starting with http: and ending in jpg
    3. Paste that directly into the box where you are writing your post.
    4. Directly in front of the http:, type in the following
    img src=
    5. Pay attention to spacing. there should be only one space in the whole line, between img and src=
    6. It will look something like this:
    img src=http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos /2008/02/22/dem-debate.jpg
    7. Now, add carets at the very beginning and very end of the string with no spaces:

7. When you hit Preview Message, you should see the photo in your post.

• punamytsike
    16 years ago

I am not familiar with the photo hosting sites, as I keep mine in my own domain, so this might not apply, but at least for me, I can always go back a resize the photo on my site. As long as I do not change the name of the photo, the changes will show up in the garden web thread as well.
    Worth checking out :)

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Here's a link to the Test Forum, for anyone who wants to doodle away.

Forgot about scrolling long links. Not only does it widen the entire thread, it also forces readers to copy and paste to view it, which a lot of us won't do either, ack! ;-) For anyone not familiar with alternatives, I'll post them, using Pottery Barn as an example.

To put a live link in a post, there are two ways to do it:

1) When typing a post, instead of pasting the link right into the Message box (body) of the post, go to the boxes below the message box. Paste the web site's http://www.address.com in the box marked "Optional Link URL:". Then in the "Name of the Link:" box type in the name of the website. I just did that here so when you read my post you will see a link to Pottery Barn below and to the right of my message. It will say "Here is a link that might be useful:".

~OR~

2) If you want to direct link right in the body of your post (like I did in Test Forum above) you can add html code. This method comes in handy when posting multiple links.

Paste the link to your site (in this example Pottery Barn) right in your Message body:
    http://www.potterybarn.com/

You will need to add html code to the beginning and end of the link. You will also need to add the name of the site you're linking to (in this case 'Pottery Barn').

Add on html code is in bold below. So the string of text looks like this:
    a href="http://www.potterybarn.com/">Pottery Barn

Important or it won't work:
    You have to wrap the entire string of text with angle brackets.
    So you must put a front angle bracket right at the beginning of that string of text directly in front of a href.
    You must put a rear angle bracket > right at the very end of the string of text, behind
    There are no spaces between the angle brackets and the other text. Think of the angle brackets as giving the entire string a tight hug!
    There is a single space between a href at the front.
    All other text in that line is typed with no spaces between it!
    So when I put that string together, spaced as noted,you should see an active link to Pottery Barn like this:
    Pottery Barn

You can use that same string of commands for any web site. Just be sure the spacing is correct, substitute the name of your site where Pottery Barn is, and hug> that entire line tight with angle brackets! (cheesy I know, but might help you remember).

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Example from #1 above

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Not a computer genius here - do these instructions apply to a MAC as well?
    Thanks!

• amysrq
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just want to thank all my nerdy friends for chiming in here! ;-) Some of you are so much more technically able and I really appreciate all your contributions to teaching us how to make the GW experience more user friendly.

Those of you who came back and "confessed", I acknowledge you too. And thanks for not flaming me for being a whiner!

Manisha, I have to tell you....it was your post that inspired my rant. Your rooms are very beautiful and I was excited to see them. But my aversion to scrolling had me backing out before I could dig in. I look forward to seeing what you're up to!