SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

Need living room help for NYC apt! (lots of photos!)

charlikin
14 years ago

It's astonishing to me I was able to get through my kitchen & bathroom renovation, with all the choices that involved. Of course, I obsessed about every piece of tile and every door handle for months. Very happy with the results - but I'm starting to lose any confidence that the living room will turn out as well. (It's certainly not taking any less time!)

With the gracious help of people on this forum, I have painted (oops), repainted (a much better color - thank you!), gotten new carpeting, and finally taken delivery of a new sofa and chair. Now I'm having a heck of a time with the coffee and end tables! I admire people who can just look at something and know if it's right or wrong - I clearly don't have that knack. Also, it's REALLY hard finding things that fit with my design aesthetic (such as it is), yet are practical - for example, I really wanted drawers in my coffee and end tables, but I also like a slightly more contemporary (though comfortable & homey) vibe, and the two don't seem to go together. Also, it seems that a lot of coffee tables are HUGE these days, and my apartment isn't that big - the sofa's only 82" (not 86-87" like most).

Inspiration photo from Crate & Barrel catalog (especially that colorful little pillow):

Here's the current work-in-progress. New sofa & chair, old coffee & end table. Walls are BM Abingdon Putty. The carpet turned out a lighter color than I had guessed from the little square sample - I was really going for a light brown. This is not so practical!

(highlighting my colorful little inspiration pillow)

(light green chair turns out to look SO pale green, it's almost colorless! hopefully, curtains behind it will help!)

Here is the Ethan Allen media console that will go opposite the sofa (just the console, not the back panel - purchased but not delivered yet):

This is my "inspiration painting" - the kind of colorful abstract painting I'd like to hang over the sofa. This particular one is gorgeous but too large for the space, but it's a good stand-in for what I want:

And here are the current candidates for coffee tables and end tables. The first photo is a nesting table from West Elm and end tables from Ethan Allen. (The end tables satisfy my criteria of having drawers, though the drawers are very shallow front-to-back and won't hold much. The coffee table doesn't have drawers, but at least with the nesting, it's like having a shelf.)

Then there's the solid wood Asian inspiration, much less expensive from World Market. I really like the coffee table - not so much the end tables, but I imagine I might get them as well since I'm not sure what else would coordinate with the coffee table. No drawers on anything (sigh).

What I like about both these coffee tables is that they don't seem terribly fragile - the West Elm table is stained but kind of rough-hewn, and the World Market table got high ratings for durability. My coffee table gets a lot of use as both a desk and an impromptu dinner table, so it needs to be able take some abuse. Style-wise, I seem to like contemporary (but not *too* contemporary), Asian, Pottery Barn-style... warmth, comfort, but a little funky. ;-)

Also, I will be putting a small round dining table and chairs next to this seating arrangement, at the other end of the living room, and very close to the second end table. Haven't picked out the table yet - it'll have to be no larger than 42" round, which is its own challenge. (Yeah, it's going to be tight.)

Appreciate any and all comments on whether any of this will go together, which *you* prefer, practical considerations, alternate suggestions! Also ideas for curtains and lamps, oh, and for dining tables very appreciated!

Help!!! And thanks in advance!

Comments (90)