SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
_____________48801

To be apt: windowless (sort of) rooms, small spaces - need help ...

Влади Цветков
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Me and my family (currently: me, my wife and a 3 year old) just jumped ship and paid the first 30% downpayment for an apartment being built as we speak (due date March 2019).

The total livable surface will be 55 sqm.

Originally it was 2 big rooms, but we decided to settle for this flat due to budgetary constraints + we thought we can make it work even with 2 (originally) windowless rooms.

The spaces are rather small so light + proper colors will be cruical - therefore I need LOTS of help with colors and room arrangement ....

My wife and I did some preliminary "arrangements" but all seems to be off and is a mess in our heads. Good thing is that we have lots of time ahead - nevertheless - the sooner the better :)

So here is the plan - after the room on the left and on the right were separated with a new wall with window/ window + door to allow for some more natural light. We are now left with a living/dining room 17.5sqm, 2 kids rooms 8.15sqm each, master bedroom 10.5sqm, a bathroom 4.2sqm, hallway 3.5sqm, balcony 3.7sqm, and a really small emergency bathroom 0.6sqm:

Here is a preliminary design (note that some colors chosen are so - just because of software limitation - using some free online tool here...).

What I've read online is :

• For all the windows - to use curtains that go from the floor almost all the way up to the ceiling - to create the illusion of a bigger room.However what colour we should aim for?
  • For the floors and walls - what would be the most appropriate colors to imply more space and light? We thought of white mostly - but it kind of resembles a hospital in the end so not sure if white floors, walls and furniture would do the trick ... We were thinking - white-ish floors and walls and brown-ish furniture with white/pale colors for the kitchen set (reflective) + mirrors where possible ...
  • The Sofa size (living room) we were thinking of is around 230cm (length). Would this be an overkill for this room?
  • The dining table that we sort of like is 120 and extendable to 180cm (the sizes in the rendering are matching this...)
  • For the Master bedroom - we were thinking of a large wardrobe : 2.40 in height (wall height is 2.45-2.50 after insulation) and some 1.60->1.80 in width.
  • Also where and what lights we should think of...Will the new walls with windows be sufficient to provide at least some natural light ?
  • As I said ... it's a big mess in my head and I need help :)

Thanks for any tips etc.

If anyone is interested I can give the link to the design online so people can mess with this (if the software allows for it directly).

Thanks a million!

V.

P.S. The Apartment will be South oriented (bottom of the sketch) if that matters so I am sort of expecting sufficient light throughout the day.

Comments (9)