SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walkin_yesindeed

painting outdoor furniture: help? (x-post from Decor)

walkin_yesindeed
15 years ago

Found a set of metal patio furniture on the side of the road about a year ago. Dingy off-white, beginning to rust, but definitely salvageable and sturdy. I went right to Home Depot after I found the set, and was looking for some hammered-finish Rustoleum paint. Couldn't find the color I liked in spray cans, so I bought regular cans in the hammered brown finish. The paint guy advised me to buy paint mitts to apply it, rather than trying to do it with a brush.

A full year later (ie, too late to return any of the materials!), I am finally getting around to this project. Spray-painted anti-rust primer: no problem. Yesterday I pulled out the painting mitts and paint and figured I'd get at least an initial coat on the set.

It was a colossal PITA. First problem is that the mitts are cheapo acrylic, and fuzz from the mitts was coming off and sticking in the paint, so I will have to resand and repaint that section of the chair. Second problem is that the paint didn't really "take" very well, either with the mitt or with the brush I used, and that I couldn't get good coverage compared w/spray paint. The paint is drippy, and when I did a second brushstroke it came right off, so I basically had to glop it on, wait a minute or two, and hope I could get the drips in time. I only did one chair, and will have to redo it.

I love the hammered-bronze color, but am thinking maybe my best option is to go get some plain old black or brown spray paint -- or maybe a disposable paint sprayer, since I have two cans of the hammered-finish paint and probably can't return it at this point? (is there such a thing as a disposable paint sprayer? Do I want something else?) Can I apply paint with a cloth, the way people here sometimes apply gel stain?

Thanks in advance, all.

Comment (1)