SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Pondering about home made bread loaf size

sally2_gw
12 years ago

Since it's cooled into the 80's I've started making home made bread again. This morning I was making a sandwich for my lunch, and thought about how small home made loaves are that are made in standard, 8 1/2" x 4" pans compared to store bought bread, especially since when I buy bread I get those over sized loaves that look at least close to substantial. It occurred to me that the small, home made loaves must have been more normal at one time, and that commercialization has increased the size of bread loaves, or at least, made them wider. Of course, bread hasn't always been made in pans, so loaf pans must be a somewhat new invention, too, or are they?

I checked out King Arthur's website, and they do sell bread pans that are 9 x 5 and 10 x 5. Of course, the bread recipe would have to be adapted to loaf pans that size since most recipes I've seen have called for either 8 x 4 or 9 x 4.

I don't even think I have a question, just pondering. At least with the smaller bread size, my waist size might stay smaller, too. (Not if I keep having seconds and thirds on freshly baked bread, though!)

Sally

Comments (6)