SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manisha517

advice on furniture placement, please!

manisha517
16 years ago

Hello,

We recently had wood flooring put in and still need to finish up the baseboard so excuse the mess and plastic :) This room serves as our formal living area and dining room. It's an odd, rectangular room so furniture placement has been a little difficult. What do you think of the current layout? Does it "flow"? A big mirror will go on top of the buffet - should I go with a round one or rectangular? I need to swap the rug in front of the sofa out with a bigger one but does that color look okay to you? Antiqued mirror glass will go on top of the nesting tables. Art will be hung on top of sofa with sconces on either side. Any sconce recommendations? Planning on silk panels for WT in a cream or off-white.

Comments (41)

• syllabus
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice space! I like the smaller scale of the furnishings in the LR.

Have you tried the DR rug in the LR? The colors and size look about right. It would be fine to not have any rug in the DR, and I'm thinking that a larger rug in the LR along w/ the one in the DR will be too much.

Like the art over the sofa and a round mirror over the chest would echo the round tables, lamp, and the curved chair. The wreath on the door seems out of place... but then you didn't ask about that and so I may be out of line.

Silk WT would be lovely. What color? Brown? Cream? A green pulled from the art? Any would work.

Please post again when the room is finished!

• anele_gw
    16 years ago

Love the flooring and the space. So clean, bright, and modern!

I agree with syllabus re: the rug. I'd put a bigger one in the LR. I've mentioned this before here-- I've heard of using a runner instead of a rug in the DR. Maybe that would keep the warm feeling without adding another big rug.

I think the flow is great-- how does it feel IRL?

• Related Discussions

Master bedroom furniture placement...need advice quick!

Q

Comments (9)
    I think your furniture placement will be all right, ncamy. I suggest a few things: 1. get slightly smaller club chairs than the current "overstuffed" size. (I've always wondered who that furniture is for, as you can only actually sit in the space provided and the arms and back don't add to one's comfort!) 2. Get chairs that swivel, so you can move them to and fro according to the light in the room, and 3. put one ottoman between the two chairs. You can face each other and use the single ottoman and still watch the screen, or you can put a tray on the ottoman and use it as a side table for the two chairs.
    ...See More

awkward layout. furniture purchase and placement advice please!

Q

Comments (0)
    I’ve renovated and now am at the exciting step of purchasing furniture. I was hoping to have two sofas and two arm chairs. It’s a large space but the layout is awkward. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    ...See More

Paint and furniture placement advice needed

Q

Comments (28)
    Yes - except that paneled wood doors have lots of joints. Wood moves with changes in temp and humidity which can crack the paint at the joints. So doors with little upkeep, become major upkeep, especially if painted white and there are kids running around. Some wood paneled doors of that era were made with MDF rails and stiles with veneer. These would be much more stable as to movement and hold paint better. Often you can tell by looking at the top edge of the door and seeing if the stile cut edge is MDF with veneer or solid wood. Mostly this wood tone is considered "dated" because HGTV says so - a marketing ploy. Just as now many are saying white / black gray is becoming dated - lets get everyone to spend thousands to change out perfectly good because it is "dated" - make people feel badly about their stuff so they will buy new stuff - marketing 101. Many here spent major $ converting to the white / gray kitchen, and I expect they will love their kitchen even when the next generation of House Hunters say, "Oh no, not another white gray kitchen!" My young adult daughters dislike white / gray kitchens because that's been in every Parade Home they've seen for 7 years. If one does not like something and one can afford it and it will not be too wasteful, by all means make changes. My house was originally a tribute to the 70's - harvest gold and all. I painted the dark stained pine trim white, replaced the harvest gold carpet and vinyl with hardwood, and replaced the cracked hollow core doors with new wood paneled doors - and since I did that in the 90's, they are oak - natural oak but would be called "honey oak" by all the viewers of HGTV. (It was actually "golden oak" which was more ubiquitous.) I have lots of friends and relatives with oak trim - none intend to change it out. They are fine with it, but I also live in the midwest, slightly rural and it is just not that big of deal here. These pics may more mimic the OPs wood tone. However, wood tone is hard to capture on a computer monitor and lighting can majorly affect wood tone. If it looks too "honey" and you don't want to spend the money painting, try changing light bulbs out to LED - I believe it is the 4000 range that tones the wood to more brown. Wood trim combined with a white kitchen: Similar to my home. This is very doable - but may not be to the OPs vision: My house - not very posh, more cottage, but we like it:) upstairs hall: https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-kitchen-in-progress-phvw-vp~45783770 https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~88642832 some main level doors: https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~93784236 Lighting effects:
    ...See More

Advice Please! Outdoor seating/furniture placement?

Q

Comments (7)
    I think you realize you don’t have room on the cement walkway. Grass is your only option unless as houssaon suggests, pavers. At some point, you might want to remove the planter and trees. While lovely, they take away the ability to use the front yard as you would like.
    ...See More
  • teacats
    16 years ago

Yes -- another vote for switching the rug! :) Put the front legs of the sofa on the rug to really anchor the seating area.

How about buying several square dark-framed mirrors -- and creating a grid pattern above the buffet? OR -- for a different look -- how about a starburst-shaped mirror?

Consider painting the stair railing in darkest brown -- check out some the Ralph Lauren colors.

• manisha517
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much! I think the DR rug is a bit too big (8x10) for under the sofa but I'll check into whether it's available in a 5x8. So, I should definitely nix a rug under the table, yes?

I'm thinking of pearly silk window panels to keep it light and fresh and to tie in with the 5" baseboard that still needs to be installed after we paint in a off-white semi-gloss.

The wreath really shouldn't be there, LOL. It's a holdover from the holidays and I've barely noticed that it was still there while we've been dealing with the flooring and painting :)

I love the idea of several framed mirrors! These are my favorites - http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1420&f=5096 but a bit pricey. I have a mirror that I've used in my family room that I can swap out for this room:

• Kathy Bochonko
    16 years ago

manisha-- Absolutely beautiful room! I knew I liked your taste but the funniest thing is when teacats mentioned using several mirrors I immediately thought of those exact same crate and barrel mirrors. Aren't they gorgeous? But that mirror you have should work great. Try turning the rug sideways so that it goes up to the from window and put the chair and tables on top of the rug.

anele, please explain about the runner idea, I have know idea what you mean.

• manisha517
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, those C&B mirrors are beautiful! I have been "stalking" them for a long time now and they just never go on sale :(

• les917
    16 years ago

Do you have 7 dining chairs, or is there an 8th hiding out somewhere? Also, what is in the back corner of the DR area - it appears to be some type of cabinet or shelf unit - I can see things sitting on something back there! LOL

I am not totally sure about the layout. What I envision is people walking in the door smack into the large buffet. I somehow also see people sitting on the couch staring across at the cabinet and mirror, rather than being engaged with someone sitting in the chair by the window.

Right now, the tall furniture is all concentrated in the DR and the decorative stalks on either side of the buffet, and the room feels a bit off balance to me.

I agree that for sure the rug needs to go from the DR - way too large for the space, and again makes the LR area feel small by comparison. I don't see the benefit of the plain tan rug - it really gives the same feel as the flooring. It would seem the DR rug would fit if turned, and it would be a nice addition to the seating grouping in the LR space.

If you had 8 dining chairs, my inclination would be to have no chairs on the ends of the dining table, so you could move it a bit closer to the window. Also get rid of whatever is in the back corner of the DR so that the whole table could slide a bit further away from the LR.

Take the couch and put it facing the front door and window, back to the DR. Put the floor lamp on the left end of the couch by the wall. Use the two extra (if you have 8) dining chairs as a pair down by the window, with the cool table between them. Slide the buffet down toward the DR a bit, and put the curved-back chair on the right end of the buffet - the side closest to the door. Take the tall grass vases, cut one bunch about 6 inches shorter, and put them as a pair in the back corner of the DR by the stairs. Put the art piece over the buffet with a couple of lamps, and look for a floor mirror or grouping of mirrors to use on the wall where the art is now.

You have great furnishings in the space, and the room feels very airy, which is so nice.

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

I would move the tall glass floor lamp to the corner behind the chair. I would not have two of those straw things on either side of ent center / buffet. Get rid of one of them or move it somewhere else. I think you need another lamp and small table separating the dining and living area. There needs to be more lighting. Find an oval mirror for above the ent center / buffet placed sideways - to repeat the coffee table shape. The curtain rods need to be level with one another - get that turn the corner drapery rod. I would keep everything clean and simple as you have been doing. Very nice pieces with great shapes!

• manisha517
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, Les917! I'm on it!!! I will try out your recommendations tomorrow and post pics.

I do have 8 chairs, was using one as a step ladder for rigging up a window panel in the family room :)

This room is primarily just for show as we do most of our living in the family/tv room which shares open space with the kitchen. But with your suggestions, we just might start using this room too - LOL!

I'm really excited about the possibilities with your furniture placement ideas if only to get a floor mirror out of the deal - I have always, always wanted one!

I have the same thread running because I resized the pictures to make sure I didn't turn anyone off with my original, huge photos so I will try to consolidate the messages so that I don't lose track of all of the guidance I'm getting. It's really great and I appreciate it so much!

• manisha517
    Original Author
    16 years ago

New arrangement - what do you think?

I will put the art over the buffet, a floor mirror where the art currently is (just beyond the floor lamp) and move the birch sticks per Les917's excellent suggestions! Just wanted to share initial photos before that stuff is done to get a read on whether this looks/feels better.

• les917
    16 years ago

What's important is what you think! I like the change, tho I would like to see the rug moved into that area from under the DR table - I think it might fit running lengthwise in the LR space.

But with or without the rug, you need to move the couch and cocktail table back toward the DR area, probably at least half the distance of the open space that is behind the couch now. If you don't use the DR table often, I would even move it back a bit more than that. The cocktail table isn't for the chairs, and right now everything feels too crowded together, so that the DR space is still getting the most attention.

I would also pull the two DR chairs up just a few inches from the wall - they don't have to be shoved against the back wall of the niche, but can sit forward just a bit. I do like the two chairs in that space, and I think it relieves the possible crowded feeling in the DR. Small lumbar or roll pillows, one on each of the two DR chairs that you are using in the LR, will bring in some more color and also make them feel just a bit different from the rest of the DR chairs.

What happened to the other cute chair you had in there? I could still see that on the right end of the buffet, the end closer to the door.

I do think once you open up the seating area some, it is a better, more welcoming way for people to sit and converse - a great spot for drinks before dinner at the dining table.

Once you get the art over the buffet, you can decide if you want lamps or wall lamps on the buffet. I would also look for a striking piece of art to hang on the side of the staircase as it rises to the second level - on the left side of the door to the next room. That is another focal point for people as they enter the house, and will carry their eyes into the space.

I think it is really coming together. So, what do YOU say?

• Ideefixe
    16 years ago

If you're not actually sitting down at that table every night, with all chairs filled, I'd put the table up against the window, long side under it. Or else put the buffet on the staircase wall.

I like everything, but it feels like you walk in the door and into a whole lot of furniture. What's the main purpose of the room?

If you don't use that living room area as much as the family room, (glimpsed through the door), then why crowd the sofa and the chairs and tables into the space?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I like the first arrangement, although I'd pull the chair out from the corner a bit, more towards the sofa and a part of the group. I think the sofa might have to be shifted down just a bit, more centered on the buffet, if there's any room for that -- so there's passage to the left side of the sofa. I'd also bring more of your brighter greens around the room. I'm thinking a round or oval rug might be a nice variation in the conversation area, rather than another rectangle. Or, use the dr rug to anchor the seating area and just have bare wood under the table (with soft, quiet pads on your chair legs). The first arrangement also allows you to just swing some of the dr chairs around so others can join in
    the conversation.

• budge1
    16 years ago

I like les's arrangement better than the original but what about putting the sofa in front of the window (but not right against that wall - pulled out a couple of feet) and the buffet against the wall where the sofa was in the 1st pic. Then the cute purple chair could go opposite the sofa with the stacking tables between the buffet and the chair. I'd hang the artwork on the wall where the buffet is now and the mirror(s) above the buffet. The grass and vases might work better on that side where they wouldn't seem to be blocking the entrance.

• budge1
    16 years ago

also meant to add the lamp could go behind the sofa on the side closest to the door.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Excellent ideas -- and LOVE Les' ideas for the new arrangement -- budge1's ideas too!!

And yes!!!! Do try the rug under the whole new seating arrangement -- it will draw the whole area together -- and then the visual impact of the patterned tablerunner will stand alone. Perhaps a sisal rug -- banded in black -- under the dining table area?

Try clearing the area by the stairwell -- perhaps the table could swing the other direction -- and the buffet could sit on the long wall across from it?? JUST wondering!!!!

Jan

• teacats
    16 years ago

Excellent ideas -- and LOVE Les' ideas for the new arrangement -- budge1's ideas too!!

And yes!!!! Do try the rug under the whole new seating arrangement -- it will draw the whole area together -- and then the visual impact of the patterned table runner will stand alone. Perhaps a sisal rug -- banded in black -- under the dining table area?

Try clearing the area by the stairwell -- perhaps the table could swing the other direction -- and the buffet could sit on the long wall across from it?? JUST wondering!!!!

Jan

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

Your new furniture. is beautiful. The scale is perfect. Great style.

I have to agree with Squirrel about the first arrangement. I just feel it has better flow between the 2 rooms. This is just my opinion and it's based on the fact that I have sort of the same arrangement with my LR and DR except they are directly across from each other in one room and there is a pathway between the rooms. To be perfectly honest, I'm not crazy about the back of the sofa to the dining room.
    A question you should be asking yourself is, how do I want to use the 2 rooms together? Picture dinner in the dining room. At the end of the dinner, do you want to use your living room for coffee and dessert? Some people may remain at the table and some may move to the living room. How about if someone sitting at the dining room table wants to converse with someone sitting on the sofa?

The funky shaped chair, floor lamp and table combination is much more interesting than the 2 dining room chairs in the living room. As a matter of fact, when I saw the first picture, I smiled and thought, that's something that's my style and I would put together. Just pull the chair more towards the sofa.

I would rather see a properly sized patterned rug in the LR than in the DR. It will allow the rooms to have a more spacious feeling. Your floors are gorgeous, do your really want to cover them that much? There is no rule that says you have to have a rug in every room. With wood dining room tables, a rug really is not really necessary. If you do decide on a rug in the DR, a solid one would be best. Yes, there are some decorating rules but nothing is mandatory. The rug one goes like this, if have a glass table, you use a patterned rug. If you use a wooden table you should use a solid rug.

Can you try the first on again with Squirrel's suggestion?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Oh good, I am not alone, lol. I'm just wrapping up some studies, myself :) which, of course, no one else has to like. Not thinking the perfect accessories, just filling things out with what I have around. Finally got your drapes in! I happen to be one who loves lots of rugs around over the hardwoods, so I've included something like that also, esp since you need something at the front door. What I put there is a bamboo matt (maybe put something else under it with those slats ??? But the idea is something that isn't prominent and just fades into the floor. (Notice how hard it is to find! :)

I slid the sofa down what may be 6-8 inches, in case it's needed to access the sofa when the chair is pulled out. Actually, I think that area might be more cohesive if the sofa is more centered to the buffet (which kind of reads like a tv console.) I guess you really need to think about how many people you are usually entertaining and how many you want gathered around one area, like the conversation area. Right now you only have seating for three, with the capability of pulling a couple of the dr chairs in easily.

I guess the table runner seems a bit bold and dominant in there, but maybe it's not so much irl, just the photo and angle.

Anyway, without movin' a thin' here's some stuff to look at : ) An alternate arrangement.

{{gwi:1607209}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

As much as I was liking the round/oval mirror (which is looking a little low), with something scaled really large you get a fireplace effect. -- So what is our focal point in this room? --

Trying out a black or a gold/gold-black frame. I'd also be playing with the front door -- maybe paint it (and it's trim) the wall color so it fades into the background like a wall. I'd even do something ~rash~ like put a mirror or art on it (have seen them similar to this one around).

{{gwi:1607213}}

• graywings123
    16 years ago

Manisha - Just wanted to say that I love what you have done. I especially like the runner on the dining room table.

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

Great job Squirrel! Pretty, pretty room.

I really like the larger rug in the second picture (but that's my taste) and I like the runner with the smaller rug idea (if Manisha likes having more rug). I love the dining room without a rug. Love the light drapes. Great concepts.

The room is more modern/contemporary and does not require a lot of adornment with this in mind, I don't feel the front door needs anything but paint (good idea, I'll be using that one with mine,thanks).

As far at mirror over the buffet, I'm not sure this will work but I am picturing a larger mirror with a thick frame with silver detail. It could even be a little antiuqish to add a focal point and be different. Squirrel, can you go shopping for one and try it?

Manisha, if you have a Home Goods close by, I suggest you check it out for a rug. They sometimes have some beauties for a fraction of the price of PB or RH. Green really adds warmth to the room.

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Squirrel you are amazing. What program do you use? My one comment I have is about the rug. When the rug was in the dining room, my first thought was, you will trip over it because it was in the walk path when you walked around the server from the front door. I kind of feel the same way in the last few pictures when its by the couch. I like it with the couch when it doesnt interfere with walking from the front door to the dining room.....the smaller version of the rug. The floors are beautiful.

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

You know as I look at the picture more, I am just wondering if you have room to add another chair on the other side of the chair table instead of the plant Squirrel placed.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

I think either layout works, just depends on what it feels like IRL. Les' layout gives a cozy conversational area, with a view outside if one just want to sit there and enjoy! The only thing I'd have to add if I chose this layout is a sofa table behind the sofa.

Squirrel's also looks good but the focal point, as before, seems to end up being the buffet.
    The only thing I'd remove from the room is the hanger & wreath. Your room has a comtemporary feel and the wreath brings in a touch of country. JMO! ;)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

JerseyGirl -- the 'extra' dr chair works great there and connects well with the conversation area and rug color. So that wood 'corridor' doesn't feel a bit off as it did before, imo. So, it was the empty but painted door pic that I accidentally deleted! Yes, really needs nothing on it. I just kinda' liked it :)

Looking back at the other arrangement, it's amazing how much wider the room looks with the original.

Remembered some of the other shots of the room last night and realized -- the stairs are the architectural focal point, probably along with that large window over there, as we can't really see the whole area well. So, I've put some art there to highlight and finish it a bit. Secondary, decorative focal point could be the buffet, I think, kind of like a fireplace effect. Then the sofa and its wall art.

I notice there is also maybe an art niche at the base of the stairs? So, between the niche and the dynamics of the stairs, shape and scale of the piece over the buffet can follow. I've kind of sketched in the large rectangular mirror and removed ornamental grass/branches, just to get a general idea, although it is all completely off so not a good gauge at all.

And the vents are painted! : )

Beautiful space. Feels just wonderful in there :) (Is that a side window to the left of the sofa or just a reflection?)

{{gwi:1607218}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Nevermind, I see can see the window from the other pics now.

Your floor is so pretty, which one is it?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Removing the corner plant, beautiful as it is! I'm thinking you may have room for another chair tucked in there -- for the twosome-threesome chat area by the window. Don't know about bringing in another style chair, but maybe you can get another like the one you have, which adds so much to your room.

Trying another mirror. This Horchow Ginko one picks up the feel of the plant and the Asian feel of your room, I think. It's also unique so is good for a focal point and not another square along that wall. Not sure if it is sized correctly though. But, since it's probably not to your taste anyway, lol -- it's just another example of working the buffet area : ) I like texture on the mirror.

{{gwi:1607221}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Affordable Ginko Mirror at Horchow

• nra991
    16 years ago

I am partial to the first arrangment too and love all the ideas that squirrel has provided. Just my 2cents.

• manisha517
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OHMYGOSH!!! You guys are the best! Squirrelheaven, you are absolutely amazing!!! Logging on and seeing these images and reading everyone's comments and suggestions quite literally has felt like Christmas morning! I truly am so grateful to all of you for your time and effort in helping me!!

Squirrel, how in the world did you do this? I am just sitting here marveling at your talent. Just incredible. I can probably spend more time trying to figure out how on earth you flipped the DR chair completely around to sit by the buffet than the time it took you to do it!!! And, the angles of the curtains and mirror, wow.

I played with the placement some more, and do agree that IRL the placement with the sofa with its back to the table felt a little too boxy, although I did love how it defined the space into its respective purposes. And, I liked the lounge feeling too, a great precursor to moving onto dinner. While I do appreciate the fact that it gave the room a different feel by clearly showcasing its multi-purposes, it did make it look like the room was smaller and further emphasized the long, narrow feel of the room. I do think it was a very hip look, but I'm not sure I can pull it off :)

For all of you that advised me to switch out the rug, you were so right - I found that helped quite a lot with delineating the functions. It immediately helped me create a living space without feeling like I needed to continue adding lamps and living room type things to make a point.

I like the placement with the sofa at the wall more because it does have more of a open flow and creates more of a focal point with the art over the sofa, facing the buffet. I love, love, love the concept of the large mirror over the buffet for a fireplace look. Our walls are so long and empty that I do need furniture along them to anchor.

I will incorporate all of the ideas you've shared with me in the next few days but wanted to share some initial pics. These don't include moving the reeds or switching out the DR chairs with my chocolate chair at the window yet. I actually think I want to use the accent chair in my family room, which is another project I've got going in tandem. So, I'll either keep the 2 DR chairs at the window or...go shopping (!) for 2 more. I found the most beautiful chairs months back at Bombay Company and was holding out for a sale before they went out of business. I'm kicking myself for not buying them. They would've been so perfect - pic attached to further torture myself :) If you guys spy any great chairs that you think are a great fit, please let me know.

Our floors are engineered maple in 7.44" planks. They were a great buy at a closeout price so we were very lucky indeed to score them. For the stairway, I was thinking of those West Elm type cube blocks in a espresso finish that I can stagger, going up the stairs and place votive candles on. We do have an art niche across the stairs and I have an iron gate thing in there, I'd like to add long, narrow sconces midway on either side and some candles along the bottom to really make it romantic with a moroccan flair.

The rug is currently an 8x10, doesn't come in a 6x9 - should I exchange it for a 5x8? That would work widthwise but might be tight on the length. What do you think? Also, I'm not positive this is the perfect rug for this space, feels a little dark but I do love the mixture of muted colors. Any other rug suggestions are welcomed. Just need something that will work with some true green, cream, and bronze.

Okay, so your thoughts again please on these!

Thanks again for all of your help!

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

Squirrel, you are right on about the stairwell. I love the second brown chair. I am wondering if there is room for one more chair at the right of the cocktail table, angled. Maybe an accent chair. It's hard to see the actual dimensions of the space.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Oh my, it's been busy!! Just postin' up some pics :) Playing on the geometrics in your room with the mirror (which I can see from your niche, won't work :). And working the other arrangement. If it were me, I'd move the sofa over a bit and put a side table in. I'd also skew the chairs by the window. Was wondering what happened to the sitting chair by the window. I do love that chair and the ensemble you had together there. Anyway, placing that back in also so you can see the two different chair styles together in the corner. It's heavy on light values on the right, so tweaky tweaky tweak.

HTH!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

While I do like the 2nd arrangement better now that it's all dressed up :) -- reminds me of the long narrow old townhouses in the city -- we're turning our backs on the focal point of the room! which is the grand stair case.

I looove the idea of the Morrocan candle effect in the niche. I'd actually picked up a round piece something like that for over the buffet, although I doubt they made them quite large enough -- so much ambience. :)) It will be just awesome at dinner! (Yours is too beautiful, where did you find it?)

Don't know if there's enough room for the tall narrow exotic tree above, but something is needed there and the two chairs are now at the window. It would even feel a bit al fresco with the iron gate and all the candles glowing :))

You have done an amazing job with your space and all the colors and selections! It's truly so beautiful, and pulled together!

(Thanks for the flooring info. Lucky find. I love Maple flooring, and the wider planks, too. ... I use a photo editing program, similar to PhotoShop :)

• nra991
    16 years ago

squirrel...i just wanted you to know what a marvellous job you have done. Manisha...beautiful room

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Thank you nra! (That wall sconce I put in makes no sense :( Hard to work in pieces like this, really.

Manisha, I have to wonder if your iron piece and sconces/votives would work over the buffet for the fireplace effect. ~~cringe~~ And then maybe a big beautiful piece of art in the niche. The wall behind the iron could possibly even be painted another color (or a candlelight or metallic finish ?) for effect. Hmmm.

One must always play on the way :)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Of course I had to try it.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

• anele_gw
    16 years ago

squirrelhaven, I bow down to you! You are such an artist!

Originally I liked the first arrangement the best until squirrel added that end table to the sofa. I LOVE this. I think it makes it into a cozy conversational area (with the window being a focal point) vs. looking like a waiting area for dinner.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Anele, what can I say, lol. Just workin' it :) But thanks! You just made my day :)) I so long to be -- and there ain't nothing wrong with being a wannabe :) Aspire!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Let's see, what was I trying to show here??? Hmmm. New chairs.

! Dr table moved more towards the window so there isn't such a 'line' down the room -- and, the back of the sofa. Here's a lightweight demilune console table from C&B, in a similar metallic finish as some you have been pointing out, like the Dubois mirrors and antique mirrored table tops.

I had liked the oval dish you placed on the coffee table. In this arrangement, it definitely works much better, as the vases, plus their shadows, plus all the chair legs is not 'clean' and gets visually busy. This arrangement really calls for a 'hall' rug, also.

Lots of candles! Those are your votives across the buffet. And! gotta have the sound of water :) Fountain is on the lower shelf of the console; cord under the sofa to the wall.

• manisha517
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Squirrel...you are so sweet for doing all of this! I feel very posh, like I have an interior decorator! Thanks so much for all of your help!

I haven't kept up with all of the ideas, I'm still on the suggestions from yesterday! So, I will move the furniture around according to the latest and see if it works IRL. I like the end table by the sofa but we are family planning and I know I'll need all the space I can get when the time comes for a little one! The openness of the 1st plan is really appealing to me.

I did find a mirror that complements and mimics the scroll design from the iron gate piece (which is from Pier 1) for the buffet. And, I placed more flowers around to liven up the space like you did with the plants. Need to find a good source for the trees you put in. Love them! The scale isn't right for the flowers I added but was just trying to get a feel for the colors.

Going to look for drapes this week. Love the idea of painting the art niche in a metallic finish. BM has one called Veil Cream which is absolutely beautiful. Kinda taupey, kinda creamy which will be a great tie in between the Harvest Brown formal area and Cream Wave family room.