SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueiris24

Individual Apple Pies

blueiris24
15 years ago

My son wants to make individual apple pies "like the school cafeteria or McDonald's" -- we're shooting for the stars here apparently. Should I just make a regular pie recipe but make additional crust to wrap them up in pockets? Or does someone have a recipe? TIA

Comments (11)

• lindac
    15 years ago

I Would cook the apples with sugar cinnamon and cornstarch...can't give amounts....depends on how juicy the apples are....
    You can always thin it down a bit with a little cider of apple juice if you get it too thick.
    Then make your piue crust....roll it out, cut a circle and fill, seal and bake!
    But in the interest of neatness, I might make the pie filling and cut 6 inch circles of pie crust and put it into a muffin cup....those giant ones would be good, fill with the apple stuff, fold over the crust and bake.
    Linda C

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

If you were close by me you could borrow this thingie. I bet it would be perfect for what you want to do.

Here is their recipe at least:

Dutch Apple Mini Tarts

Ingredients:

1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie crusts

Apple Filling

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced and chopped (3 cups)

Topping

3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375ðF. On lightly floured surface, roll one pie crust into 12 x 10-inch rectangle using Baker's Rollerâ¢. Cut 12 circles from dough using Cut-N-Sealâ¢. Press into Deluxe Mini-Muffin Pan using Mini-Tart Shaper. Repeat with remaining pie crust.

2. For apple filling, whisk cream cheese in Classic Batter Bowl until smooth. Whisk in sugar until fluffy. Mix in egg until well blended. Stir in flour and cinnamon until smooth. Peel and slice apples using Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer. Chop into small pieces using Food Chopper. Stir into cream cheese mixture.

3. Fill prepared muffin cups with apple mixture, filling over top of pastry. For topping, combine 3 tablespoons flour and 3 tablespoons brown sugar. Cut in butter until forms coarse crumbs. Spoon over apple filling.

4. Bake in preheated oven 18-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Yield: 24 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 148, Total Fat 10 g

éThe Pampered Chef, Ltd. 2008

Here is a link that might be useful: Cut-n-Seal

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Here are some little individual Apple Crumb Pies small and pie for two size: pie crust, thin sliced apples, sugar and cinnamon, crumb crust topping, bake.

{{!gwi}}

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Found this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Fried Apple Pies

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

DH makes a version of empanadas using apple pie filling sometimes. He couldn't give me an exact recipe cause he doesn't cook that way. He said he makes his regular pie dough and filling, but cooks the filling down a bit before using it, so it can fit into the dough better. I know he uses a pie dough that calls for cheddar cheese. I don't have time to post the recipe for that right now. I'll try to remember to do it tonight after work.

Sally

• User
    15 years ago

Here is another option. These little apple pies are made in muffin tins.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Apple - Individual Country Apple Pie's / Warm Caramel Sauce
    ============================================================
    Toronto Star - chef Guy Tetreault

Apple Pie

Pastry to line 6 large muffin tins

5 Granny Smith Apples
    peeled and diced

4 Tablespoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    2 teaspoons all purpose flour
    cinnamon
    1 tablespoon butter

Caramel Sauce

1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup butter
    1 cup whipping cream
    Vanilla extract
    . Roll pastry out 1/8 inch thick and line muffin tins. Cut 6 small
    circles of dough to place on top of pies.

Make apple filling by combining apples, brown sugar and lemon juice,
    flour and cinnamon to taste and the butter. Microwave for 5 minutes.(
    Taste and adjust seasoning. Depending on the apples you might have to
    add some extra sugar or if they are really juicy, some extra flour.)

Fill each pastry line muffin cup and place one of the small rounds of
    dough in the middle. Flute edges of pies. Bake in a 400° F oven for 20
    to 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve each apple tart on a large plate with some vanilla icecream and
    some caramel sauce.

(Option) Make in small tart tins rather than muffin tins.

Caramel sauce.

Bring all ingredients to a boil and simmer for a few minutes.

Remove from heat and add some vanilla.

(Option) add rum.

• jimster
    15 years ago

From the way he describes it, I think your son wants a pie to go, finger food. That would be a fried pie.

terri gave you a link. Here's Emeril's version. It has an option for oven baking, which might be easier.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Fried Pies

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

Here's the dough recipe DH usually uses when he makes empanadas, which are baked, not fried. (By the way, it sure is hard to follow AnnT with a recipe. Those little pies look soooooo good!)

This recipe comes from the 1987 edition of the "State Fair of Texas Prize Winning Recipes, A Collection of Recipes From the Sesquicentennial Food Contest Winners." The recipe was submitted by Judy Sutton. This dough actually goes with her Chocolate Pie, which I insist DH make along with his apple pies. I've put his variations in parenthesis. I've also followed the crust recipe with an attempt to describe how to form the empanadas. Unfortunately, DH was very vague.

Cheese Pie Crust:

1 cup grated cheese (DH uses sharp cheddar, but the recipe doesn't specify)
    3 cups flour
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 cup butter-flavored Crisco (DH uses butter instead, but it produces a different texture of pie crust than shortening)
    1 egg plus water to make 1/2 cup liquid
    1 teaspoon vinegar

Mix flour, salt, cheese and Crisco. Add vinegar to egg and water mixture and pour into flour mixture. Mix with hands until dough forms a ball. Yield 3 pie crusts.

To form the empanadas, roll the dough out and cut into approximately 6" rounds. Place your filling in the center of the round (Frustratingly, DH doesn't measure, and couldn't tell me how much he puts, but not so much that it squishes out the sides.) Fold the round over into a half moon shape, and crimp the edges to form a tight seal. Bake until brown. As for oven temperature, Dh says he looks up pierogi recipes to determine oven temperature. I wish I could have given more definitive instructions, but DH is allergic to measuring and clocks, and couldn't tell me the specifics. Sorry. He just wings it each time, and it usually turns out delicious.

Sally

• jude31
    15 years ago

Good sounding recipes!. I will definitely try these. Now, how about strawberry filling, any suggestions?

jude

• trixietx
    15 years ago

This is my crust recipe for fried pies. I've used this recipe for 30 years and don't have any idea where I got it. This dough is very easy to work with.

Fried Pie Crust
    5 c. flour
    1 t. baking powder
    3 T. sugar
    1 t. salt
    1 c. crisco
    1 egg
    1 lg. can milnot or evaporated milk

Mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in crisco. Mix egg and milk and add to flour mixture. Roll into walnut size balls. Roll thin, fill and fry in hot oil. Dough will keep 2 weeks in fridge. I roll mine in about a 6 inch circle and put fruit in center, fold over and seal. I put my finger in water and spread on half of the outer edge of dough before folding over and then use a fork to crimp the edges after sealing. I hope that makes sense.

For the filling I use dried fruit that I have reconstituted and sweetened. I usually make apricot and cherry and sometimes apple, because that is what my guys like.

I make four or five recipes every year before harvest and freeze them on a cookie sheet before frying. When they are frozen I bag them and then when I want to take fried pies for dessert I take out as many as I need and fry them.

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, why did it never occur to me that they were fried? Yes, Jim, he's thinking of one you can take with you - although the other recipes sound great too so we may just have to experiment this fall. :) I'm going to start with some of the baked versions and then move on - thank you all for the great suggestions!