SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Chinese Hand-Knotted Rug for my dining room

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

I am considering purchasing a rug that I found on Craigslist for my dining room.

It's brand new from a rug wholesaler who says he is selling off his inventory of Chinese hand-knotted rugs. He has about 10 6x9 rugs for sale though the one I like the most is the one I've linked below.

He says it is a combination of wool and silk on a cotton base, hand knotted, with 300 knots per square inch.

He is selling these rugs for $500 each.

Here are some pics of my dining room. About the most I have to worry about matching to is the drapes and the granite on my built-in, though since it flows from dining-entry-living room I want the colors to blend between the rooms.

He seems pretty knowledgeable about rugs. He said China started making Persian style rugs since about the 1980's and they are very good imitators, though he says the Persian rugs are better (and outside of my budget). He said this one follows the Tabriz style. I'm a bit nervous about things from China--after some of the recent incidents of lead in kid's toys, lunch boxes, etc; however, the rug does look beautiful and it's seems a good deal for a hand-knotted wool/silk rug. Or is it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug

Comments (24)

• jejvtr
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Val

Still at work! good for you

I personally think the pastels in the rug - violets, pinks will be competing with all the earth tones in the room - but that's me - it's your house/DR you've done a great job thus far

If it is handknotted wool/silk rug that is an excellent price - turn the rug over - to see how many knots/sq inch -

good luck

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Nice rug. Seems to have a lot of blues in it, but it's hard to tell how it would look in your room until you try it. On another note, though, 6x9 will be too small for your table and chairs: the side chairs will slide off the rug when people push away from the table. Generally speaking, a dining table and chairs of the size you have requires an 8x10.

• Related Discussions

Are most hand-knotted rugs a rip off?

Q

Comments (30)
    Well duh ...is be like dis....was the wool carded or comed? Is it merino wool, or lower grades like the crap off of the belly, natural dies or synthetics, and are they water proof and fade proof, what type of knot is used, is the design traditional, or a limited edition original, or a one only, is it real silk or that viscous crap, are the carpets soft , supple, light in weight or fold like thick cardboard...which is more common in Nepali and Indian rugs...but not always. The hand made rug industry is a very old and honoured tradition of protocols and rituals... one in which the buyer and seller often enter into a lifetime relationship....which only the rug itself will survive much longer after both you and the rug merchant be long gone and both your grand children are left to deal with the value of the antique rug. Now if your not in to doing the complete research into the art of hand woven rugs ( stay away from hooked rugs by the way) and aren't into establishing a relationship with the dealer and haggling over while hearing the stories of the weaver and his family who made your carpet or the message woven into the design...me most humbly suggest you log on to ebay and buy whatever turns your crank.
    ...See More

Pls. vote on rug for my family room

Q

Comments (31)
    shappy: Glad to hear you were happy with your rug. I am nervous too, but for the money I want to spend I'd probably spend up with an olefin rug if I were to purchase locally instead of the internet. parma: That is what I wondered. Does the shedding ever stop or is it just for the first couple of weeks? I did find a couple of old pics of the rug running the other way. Shows how far this room has come! It didn't look right running that way either and it looks like I was not able to get both legs of the arm chair on the rug. The arm chair/recliner is actually the problem as it keeps shifting back to the wall and then when it reclines it ends of scratching off the paint. Luckily there are little plastic bumpers on the edges of the chair or that'd be worn off as well. I just had another idea to put my existing family rug in my breakfast nook since I don't have a rug there currently. Since it's an open floorplan this rug would provide a nice balance to the lighter rug #1 I'd get for the family room. I've never put a rug under the dining set where we eat all our family meals because I figure it'd just get dirty. Since I feel I've already more than gotten my money's worth (all of $60) from this rug, it'd be no big deal if that happens. No to mention this rug does not show any dirt as far as I can tell.
    ...See More

Update on My Living Room/Dining Room Renovation

Q

Comments (107)
    Still searching for something to fall in love with to put over my living room sofa. Some ideas but nothing I'm ecstatic about. Dining room still needs wall art too. I decided against the PB mirror. Searching, searching. Please post ideas if you have them. Thank you!
    ...See More

I am looking for a rug for my dining room!! Help!!

Q

Comments (16)
    Since you are willing to paint, I would consider the color that is in the background in your beautiful drapes, as the dark walls make it feel cave like, your lovely wood is not noticed and if the walls are lighter, the windows and view may take more prominence. In regards to a rug...I think an overdyed raspberry colored rug would feel traditional, yet modern and also elegant. Room is not quite what I described but may give you a feel for the look with lighter walls and an overdyed rug.
    ...See More
  • ctlane
    16 years ago

The rug is nice but there seems to be alot of blue in it. I agree with Organic that 6x9 is going to be too small.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

I think it's too small and the colors in the rug won't complement your DR. I'd keep looking.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

"We are now crossing the hall to the DR!" You go girl! Your drapes look lovely in there as well and I saw the post about your bedroom drapes! We will now be coming to you for all drape related questions! I read recently, that in determing the size of a rug for a DR, there should be 3ft from the edge of the table to the outside edge of a rug so that when chairs are pulled out when people are seated, they are still on the rug. I'm afraid the 6x9 will be too small and most of it would be covered by the table. I notice the blue tape on the floor marking your measurements. It looks like you would have room for an 8x10. I am guessing your room is somewhere at a 12ft length? I would hate to see you invest $ in something that will be too small. If your chandelier is centered in the middle of the DR, as it should be, then your rug should be centered under the chandelier and the table to follow. As far as the rug you have pictured, I think you could find a better fit colorwise for your drapes. It does come across blue on the monitor.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Regarding the size, I've also heard of the 3' rule, though I fear with an 8x10 it's going to almost cover the whole floor and my new hardwood floors. The room is only 11x14 with a 2' built-in on one wall and a 20"D sideboard on the other so brings it down to open floor space of approx 9x11. An 8x10 would then leave only about 6-8" floor space all around. This is why I was figuring on the 6x9--though I do realize it may catch the chairs when pushing in/out. We don't use the dining room that often so I'm OK with it.

Interesting the comments about the blue, pink and purple--as these colors I would not want in the room. The color was reading a bit more sagey on my monitor which is why I should at least check it out, but I assure you if it has any of those colors (blue, pink, purple), I won't be getting it!

• les917
    16 years ago

I don't see the colors working in the DR, but they seem like they might work in the LR?

Hope you don't mind, I wanted to ask about the built-in in the DR. It is a wonderful area, but seems so stark compared to all the warm colors in the room. Have you considered antiquing the cabinets in some way to warm them up a bit? Also would be nice to have some items with some color in the cabinet, and a plant in a low planter on the countertop to soften the feel of the tile backsplash.

• User
    16 years ago

The best part about Craigslist is that you can go see it in person before you decide to buy or not!

Your room is really beautiful. To my eye, it could use just a tad more color as everything is sort of shades of the same color (but don't misinterpret - it's a really pretty room!) I do love the contrast in the rug between the lighter and darker colors. The light cream in the rug might be just the thing to tie in your light chair fabric with your lighter cabinests. I might agree though that the colors in the rug seem like "cooler" colors than your room, and I'm not sure how that would work.

As far the as lead issue - it would be a concern of mine also. But, a rug under a dining room table would probably give minimal exposure, on the chance that the rug did have lead.

• jakkom
    16 years ago

It's a decent price. Chinese imitation Orientals are usually well-made, although they will never be as valuable as a true Oriental.

However, 6x9 is simply too small. Anyone sitting in one of the chairs will be unable to easily pull it up without scrunching the edge of the rug. The inner legs of the chairs will be on the rug and the back legs will be on the floor. These are very plush rugs, and with a pad underneath (which you should always use with a good rug), the height differential would make it annoying to most people.

I have a DR 11x12, and using a rug that was 6" too small was incredibly annoying whenever we sat down and tried to pull our chairs up. As for getting up and down, as one often does as host, it was maddening!

I finally couldn't stand it any longer and replaced the rug with one that was the proper size. So much better!

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

I just had another thought: there's no reason you have to have a rug in the dining room. What about putting a beautiful handknotted runner next to the threshold of the dining room and the foyer, on the dining room side? I think that might look nice. I really do think you will regret getting a 6x9, and with the room as small as it is, not getting an under-the-table rug will make it look bigger.

Just a thought. . . . :)

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

The background color reads as grey on my monitor; not really what you need.

• wisrose
    16 years ago

I agree with toning down the built-in cabinet, it has way to much contrast with the rest of the room.
    Also Val, did you ever post any finished pictures of the room across the hall? It would be nice to see the finished project!

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Val,
    On my monitor - it looks like very cool colors - not working. I am sorry.
    I also cringe when I see pics of tables on rugs that are too small - it is a pet peeve of mine. It is very bothersome when the front legs are on the rug and back legs off. Kinda like the person was too cheap to buy the bigger rug size needed??!!

I still vote for a greenish color in your DR that would really warm it up and if you want to see your floor use no rug.

It is all coming along very nicely.

Smiles:)

• cat235235
    16 years ago

This rug is on craigslist and I thought the colors might work for you:

{{gwi:1606751}}

Here is a link that might be useful: craigslist rug

• annzgw
    16 years ago

The rug chat listed is much better colorwise.
    Remember that once the rug is under the table you'll see very little of the center design and the main focus will be the color and design on the edges.

I agree that a 6x9 will be too small and won't look right under the table. If you want to see your wood floors yet also want more color/pattern, leave the floors exposed and add color with an large arrangement on your table and/or recover your chairs with a stronger pattern.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, you've given me lots to think about with so many against the 6x9 size. OK, I will hold off on this one and rethink the size more carefully. Maybe I can find one that is not quite 8x10. As for the Karastan on CL for that price I'd just buy new and pick my own pattern.

On another, more fascinating note, I found another rug--also on CL for my living room. This one is a vintage (from 1950's) hand-knotted Persian rug, stunning and unique design. I've been cooresponding with the seller who said this rug has been in her family for a long time, but she hasn't the space for it and that is why she is selling it. She said she is selling for a fraction of the value at $1,200 as she wants it to go to someone who can appreciate it. She said there are no smells, stains, rips, etc. She sounds so sweet and pretty much promised the rug to me if I want to buy it, though when I called her up it sounded like there was a family emergency with her mother, there was a lot of interest in the rug and she deleted the ad (otherwise I'd post it here). I asked her if she changed her mind, but she said no, she just can't think about it right now, but will get back to me by the end of the weekend. Here are a few of her emails to me:

--------------------------------------------------------
    I am so happy you like my ghom hunting carpet! (esp since the photo is rather disappointing).
    There is no wear marks, tears, stains, repairs, smell, etc which is amazing considering its age and where it has been.
    As to why I am selling.... My patient husband is wearing out.... let me explain.
    My mother is Persian and we both have a "rug problem". Now that she must down size and my brother and sisters are not rug-crazy like I am .... guess who is getting the rugs?
    My mother wants me to keep some for my children but these big ones are so difficult to store for long periods if you don't have a huge home. I really do want a vacation home but my husband thinks it is to store the rugs... well, I ask, what is wrong with that!!??! :)
    Anyway, I am not a gallery or a dealer who can get a lot for these rugs. I have had a dealer offer to buy my rugs but they are too personal to me (I won't sell if I think someone doesn't really love the rug). In the process, would you believe, we have made several wonderful new friends that we are getting together regularly. It started off as a joke... they asked if I "wanted to visit my rugs". :)
    Sorry this became a long explanation.
    I would love to meet you and show you the rug. But please don't even consider buying it if it doesn't just make you light up when you think about.... a carpet welcomes you when you come home and it makes all the different when you love it... people poured part of themselves and their lives into knotting these carpets... enjoying them is a gentle tribute to those people. (ok... now you can see I am nuts for sure)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    .... No one is seeing this rug before you.... you have the kind of heart that understands these rugs. I am happy that you asked about their lives... Iran is different from India and China which almost exclusively uses children. Iran, Pakistan and Afganistan ... of course children are weaving but in Iran the Shah stopped the use and explotation of children.... in most cases - when these carpets were made and why I don't want the new ones - carpets were made by families... it was hard work but it was survival... it wasn't thought of as abuse... it was just life.
    My mother and I use to talk about this... she would cry when she told of the children that were used in the old palaces to make the huge silk carpets.... she has a tender heart. All great art seems to involve suffering of some kind, doesn't it?
    I really want people to understand something about the history of the middle east... how odd that it includes understanding the role carpets have played... they are not as westerners think.
    I am an unlikely affectionado.... I have a PhD in Physiology and just retired from a career in Biotech recently. I never had time for anything but work and family. On my 50th birthday, I decided that before it was too late, I wanted to do what most people do... "give back"... so I am involved in volunteer work locally and globally and feel really blessed to be so (I just got back from my third medical mission trip to India).
    Apologies for that digression :) I would love to meet you. And please remember, there is no obligation to buy this carpet. Carpets are very personal... they change with the light, mood, temperature, room orientation... they are alive and I still discover things in my carpets that I haven't seen before even after all these years.
    I really want to keep this one but it is too large for my home... in my living room it would be mostly covered... it needs a place where it can be seen and enjoyed and appreciated. I keep suggesting we buy a vacation home but my husband said "you just want a place for the carpets"... how right he is.
    -------------------------------------------------

This has really made me think about rugs in a whole other light as I've often wonder who exactly is making these rugs and if they are exploited, etc. I even asked the Macy's salesman and he said that Macy's has been told that no children are used to their knowledge in the making of the rugs they sell.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it and DH thinks I'm nuts for even considering purchasing a 50-year-old rug. If it turns out she is still selling it I will post it here.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Oh my goodness. You are not even remotely "nuts" for purchasing a 50-year-old rug. If the rug is as old as she says it is, and comes from that region, you would be "nuts" NOT to buy it. It's quite possible that the rug is actually worth 10 times what she's asking for it.

As for child labor issues: Forget about Macy's--they don't bother to vet their vendors. Many Indian and Pakistani rugs--especially the kind you buy in a department store--are made with child labor. If the rug is Iranian, it is not made with child labor. If it's Afghani, it's probably not made with child labor. But India and Pakistan and China: all bets are off. When buying a new handknotted rug today, you will want to look for the Rugmark certification. I've attached a link to the shop of one of the most highly respected Oriental rug dealers in the U.S. You can learn a lot on his site.

Persians are very sentimental about their rugs--this person is quite serious in her over-the-top concern about who buys her rug. And, like I said, if it's of the age and quality she says it is, it's worth FAR more than any rug you could buy at that price new. If I were you? I'd buy that rug in a NY minute--no hesitation. And I'd do it yesterday. Did she tell you the kpsi (knots per square inch)? Generally speaking, the higher the kpsi, the better the quality of the rug. Could you post a pic of it here, as well as a pic of the reverse?

I'm kind of a rug "nut" myself, and I'd just love to see a pic of it. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Eiland's Rugs

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Did you save a pic you could post, Val? I'd love to see it too.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Here is another great site (see link) to learn about Persian rugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: SpongoBongo

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, she deleted the posting and I did not save off the pics. I did ask her to email me the pics of the rug. I am wondering if she is having "buyer's remorse" and changed her mind since she was so sentimental about it, but I asked her straight out if she changed her mind and would've been OK with it, but she said no. At this point, I'll see if she sends my an email tomorrow. If she sends me pics, I plan to post them and hope that trytogrow will give some advice.

• User
    16 years ago

Oh my I have a Hunting Tabriz in my DR. I love it and it has been considered to be a very good specimen by those who have inspected it. Our DR is navy blue with 12 ft ceilings and the floors are the original heart pine. I am fortunate that the room is large enough to show the rug to advantage as well as the floor.

I do hope you get to purchase the rug. I have many Persians and it is correct that the Iranians are very sentimental about their rugs. It is a privilege to own one and I do not take it lightly. Caroline

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I heard back from the seller today. It's a very interesting situation. The rug belongs to her mother who is elderly, other siblings don't want the rugs at the same time one sister objected when she found out my seller was selling the rug on her mother's behalf. So, it's a messy situation. I've not given up hope and am sure, if they do decide to sell, she will sell it to me. She emailed me more pics and it's even more beautful than the ones she posted on CL.

Here they are:
    {{gwi:1606752}}
    {{gwi:1606753}}

{{gwi:1606754}}

{{gwi:1606755}}

So, I'm kind of in limbo right now. I know I could never afford a rug of this quality any other way and I don't want to give up just yet and settle for less so I'm just going to wait it out a week or so until the family decides what they want to do. UNless, of course, the majority here, think it's not right or I should just move on--but even then it just feels right so I'll disregard that advice. :)

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

OMG! That is one Beautiful rug! Get it, if she still offers it to you. You're right, you will never find anything like it again for that money! I can't get over how beautiful! I think I'll stay and stare at it awhile :)
    Ohhh, Squir-rel.... get out your wand! I can see it in either room!

• annzgw
    16 years ago

Grab it if fast you can.........but don't be surprised if either the price goes up (due to DS) or they decide not to sell it.

Those family situations are tough to deal with!