SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patchatl

Adjusting to DD's marriage

PatchATL
19 years ago

My daughter has been married since last October. We were extremely close and she was my only DD I have a 20 yr old son who is never home. I love her DH to death and we are very close friends of his parents. Christmas was difficult for me because I was adjusting to not having her at home any more, and then having to also change a lot of family traditions so that they could spend time with both families. They live 45 minutes away so I see them a lot of weekends, but not always. Her birthday is Tuesday, and because we all work that day, and her husband has a softball game that night, I assumed we would spend time with her this weekend to celebrate. Turns out they have a wedding to go to Saturday (his parents will also be at the wedding), and Sunday one of his brother's has planned a family get together at his house to celebrate their parents' anniversary. So, they get her all weekend and what that left us with was that my DD and her DH are going to meet my husband and I halfway between our homes to eat dinner Monday night at a restaurant, then both go our separate ways. We've always made really big deals out of our children's birthday and to only get to spend maybe an hour with her at a restaurant has left me feeling broken hearted. I can't stop crying about this. After all, wasn't it me that brought her in to this world on that day. I know I'm being silly. I know it's just the way life is, but I feel so bad. For those of you out there that have been inlaws for a long time, does this ever get easier?

Comments (7)

Sponsored