SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Food Safety & Shrimp Gumbo

bbstx
13 years ago

We are having guests for dinner Saturday night AFTER the football game, so it will be late (9-ish). I am cooking shrimp gumbo. On Friday I am going to cook the gumbo up to the point of addiing the shrimp. On Saturday, before we go to the game, I'm going to put the gumbo in the slow cooker so that it will be hot when we get home. All I'll have to do at that point is prepare the rice.

So that I do not poison my guests, when and how should I add the shrimp?

Here are methods I have considered - all use peeled and deveined raw shrimp:

1. quickly roast the shrimp in the oven when I get home from the game - add to gumbo (from a do-ahead standpoint, this is the least desireable option. But from a food safety standpoint, it may be the best.)

2. turn the gumbo in the slow cooker to high and add the raw shrimp (will the shrimp cook in 30 minutes in a slow cooker? I cannot find any information on what temp my slow cooker reaches on high - or how long it takes to reach that temp)

3. add the shrimp to the gumbo while I am cooking it Friday (how will the shrimp hold up to being in a slow cooker for 8 or so hours on low? will the texture be tough? will I give my guests ptomaine?)

Comments (9)