Earthquake & Tsunami in Japan

casey_nfld

An 8.8 earthquake in Japan, several aftershocks (some as high as 7.1) and tsunamis. It's all over the news. I saw some footage of burning debris being washed aashore in the tsunami. Scary stuff!

Here is a link that might be useful: CTV News

SaveComment26Like
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marcia Thornley

The video I've been watching is unbelievable! And now our west coast under a tsunami watch as well.

Save    
brightonborn

OMG those poor people...how horrifying. Let's pray for all of them. I immediately thought of carol in california who had grandchildren that once lived in Japan..hope they are still here in the States.

Save    
mboston_gw

Hoping people in the affected areas will contact us here when they have a chance to let us know if all is well. Praying for all.

Save    
Debby

I was on Facebook and my son posted a CNN link. From that I found this link of a tsumani hitting the coast.

Here is a link that might be useful: tsunami

Save    
susanjf_gw

think our kt'ers in seattle will be ok, but anyone on the actual coast might see wave activity...

just heard a commuter train in japan in the quake area has dissapeared...

thank goodness japan has such rigid building codes, or the area would have been flatten like haiti...

Save    
alisande

The pictures are just horrifying. And I wonder what will happen with that nuclear plant that got rocked......?

Save    
taigen_gw

Absolutely devastating! I can not imagine what they are going through.

Save    
susanjf_gw

heard they closed (4) and areas around (1) evacuated something about the cooling system...i'm assuming the one in so ca is being watched, also... (right on the beach)

Save    
dotmom

How horrible and devastating. All of those people involved. My Grandson by marriage, lives in Japan. He married a Japanese gal on Christmas day, in Hawaii. I'm not sure where in Japan they live, but i pray they are safe. I tried to reach his Mother, my late son's wife, but I just get her voice mail. I did send an email, and maybe I;ll hear from her later today.

Save    
minnie_tx

Have friends in Pacifica Ca and they are packed and ready to leave if necessry w(with their dogs)

Save    
lisa_fla

There seems to be a problem trying to cool the reactor at the nuclear plant. They don't expect major problems in CA, but if boats hit any bridges there could be damages.

Save    
gardenspice

The videos I have seen are heart stopping. I work with people there and I'm worried sick for them. Over 4 million without power so far.

Save    
alisande

A friend just sent me this link.

Exceptional pictures

Save    
chisue

The guests at our Kihei, Maui condo were staying put in the condo. Have been 'on alert' all night. I hope they haven't lost power there. Same guests were there LAST March when the earthquake in Chile caused evacuations in Hawaii. Our complex is above the shore on a small rise; no direct damages expected from a tsunami.

Poor Japan. A terrible mega-disaster -- which could get MUCH worse for everyone, everywhere if they can't cool the atomic piles at the reactor.

Save    
sjerin

Here in San Jose I'm watching pictures of a few boats breaking their moorings and floating around in the Santa Cruz harbor, and some whirlpool effect. A saving grace for the area is that it is now time for low tide. Very fascinating to watch, but sobering when I remember the reason for the phenomena.

Save    
Jodi_SoCal

I have friends in three different cities in Japan with one in Tokyo. Since I didn't learn of the earthquake until this morning, it was a little too late Japan time to call anyone but I've sent emails and posted on their Facebook pages.

My brother is married to a Japanese gal so I'm hoping her family is okay.

Jodi-

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I heard on the tv coverage that high waves washed 4 people out to sea on the west coast of the USA.

Save    
jannie

Looks like Japan got hurt worst, they said
"nothing significant" at Pearl Harbor Navy base in Hawaii, hope the West Coast isn't battered too badly. As my friend once said "We're watching history in the making..."

Save    
carol_in_california

I was awake last night when I heard the news about the massive earthquake....my son and his family are still in NYC but my DDIL's family live near Tokyo and some up nearer the epicenter. Her family and friends are OK and her grandmother, who is in her 90's, live with my DDIL's aunt and uncle in central northern Japan. The are doing OK but are without electricity and water.
DDIL was very upset this morning when she awoke.....but was able to contact family via e-mail.
I haven't had an update since this morning but hesitate to call her....I want to keep the phone lines open in case her family is able to call. Her parents live in Chiba Prefecture which is where the refinery fires are.
I am keeping them and all the people in Japan who are being affected by this horrible natural disaster in my prayers.
Last Spring my DDIL and grandkids spent a month in Chiba....glad they weren't there now.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I'm glad your DIL's family is ok, Carol. Please say a prayer for my mom's family. I have no idea where they are. My dad thinks they were from a town northwest of Tokoyo, but not as far north where all the devastation is. He doesn't remember the name of it. I just hope they are ok. Hopefully they all stayed near that city.

Save    
carol_in_california

Kath, I have been keeping all those in Japan who have been affected.
I will add special prayers for your mom's family.
DDIL's aunt and uncle live closer to the epicenter but I don't know the name of the Prefecture.
It is so sad and such a tragedy.

Save    
susie53_gw

A friend's daughter and son-in-law were in Hawaii last week on a cruse. Their neighbor is there now. They brought them to land and told them to gather all their things and head to the closest hotel. The guy called this morning and he said it was a real mess. The water was beating up on the beach and it was all covered with mud. He said it had calmed down today. He said he had never been so scared..

Save    
roseluver

It is horrific. I can't even imagine what they must be going through. It will take years for them to recover, and they don't have much money to do it with either. So many lives lost. So many people hurting. ((((hugs Japan)))))

Save    
chisue

This will all be 'yesterday's news' throughout the USA, including Hawaii, but not in Japan.

Very peculiar (conflicting) reports about the nuclear reactors: Yes, they were severely damaged. Yes, two sets of backup failed. No, no, don't worry about possible contamination. ???

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I just spoke to a friend of my mom's back home in NV. She said my mom's family was from Ibaragi, which is northeast of Japan. She said she gets Japanese tv and had been watching since yesterday and that that area had little damage and only from the earthquake. So, hopefully the family is still in that area of the country. I have no idea where the nuclear power plants that are damaged are, though.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I meant, northeast of Tokyo, not Japan.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Global Style Travel Takeaways: Design Inspiration From Japan
A designer recalls how she went to another country to teach, but the country ended up teaching her
Full Story
Art Help Out: Art and Design for Japan
Home Design That Benefits Relief Efforts
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Sturdy Enough for a Tsunami
Storms don't scare this Washington state home; breakaway features and waterproof finishes let it weather high winds and waves
Full Story