SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eric_burke_gw

So excited, must talk about my 1/4 acre!

Eric_Burke
19 years ago

We are about to sign a contract for our dream home, on a quarter acre in the mountains, about 7Km from where I teach. At the top will be the house, with a long, narrow greywater wetland ending in a pond for the ducks we will get. The bottom of the land, just above the neighbor's rice paddy, will be the vegetable garden, and in-between will be a forest garden of fruit and nut trees, nestled in between the bamboo groves on both sides of the property.

But I won't be able to work on most of that (besides the greywater system) until next spring. And one of the conditions of the purchase was that we use the owner's cousin's brother's construction company to clear the bamboo and grade the land. So we will have a fifth of an acre of raw earth, scarred by heavy machinery, on a gentle slope to the south. There is no way out of that. I tried, even offering to pay them not to do it. Nope. Part of the deal. (sigh)

So my plan is to take all the packets of seeds that I have been collecting for the past few years (close to a hundred varieties), and make seed balls with some clay and compost. I am pretty excited about this actually. I will use alfalfa and oats as the base (I have a pound of oats and alfalfa each) and about another pound of various seeds. Then I will sow the balls on the land after the machinery is done. While my poly-culture/cover-crop is doing its thing, I will be finishing the interior of the house, and waiting for the new baby.

I think I will set aside a small corner of this to see what happens after the next year. Will they re-seed? Will weeds take over? Hmm...

Thanks for listening everyone! If you have any ideas or suggestions, I would love to hear them! And keep your fingers crossed for us... we still haven't heard from the bank...

Eric in Japan

Comments (24)

Sponsored