SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justpeachyinga

DH said to figure out the "dream" layout

justpeachyinga
10 years ago

Okay, so I posted about wanting to hulk smash my kitchen and we are working on trying to make it more pleasing to my eyes.

But DH told me to figure out what would be the "dream" for our space. Then he said we'd price it out and see when we could do it. (It might be some time, but maybe it would help us hang on during the meantime?)

I'm going to attach my handdrawn floorplan. I have to do it in two pictures because I apparently scaled it too big. Oops.

Now about our family. We are currently a family of 7 and we feel we have *at least* one more adoption in us. ;) We have 5 young children (11 this week to 1 year old) Four of the five children have food allergies so we really *use* our kitchen. In addition, we are homeschoolers. We enjoy having friends over. Many of our friends also have a large family (5 children or more.)

Ideally, I'd like:
- Several different workspaces. My husband enjoys cooking while I am more into baking but cook during the week. It is not uncommon for both of us to be in the kitchen at the same time-- sometimes with children helping too.

- I'd LOVE two dishwashers. FULL dishwashers. Not drawers. We run our dishwasher twice a day on average.

- I was really hoping to get the two dishwashers and a sink into an island, but playing with the IKEA kitchen planner, I'm not sure this is possible. Right now my sink looks out a window, but I have VERY little prep space between my sink and stove. My back is to everyone when I'm working at both the sink and the stove.

- I'd like to move my fridge OUT of the "nook" so I could have a larger fridge or an ALL fridge. We have a freezer in the garage. If we can do an ALL fridge, I'd love a cube ice machine. I have an unhealthy attraction to cube ice. I would like to turn the fridge nook into a pantry of some sort. (It is a slanted ceiling situation, so I'm not sure that should really be my only pantry.

- I'd like hidden trash. I really enjoyed not having a trash can out in the open, but the original owners had a trash can in theirs the size of a bathroom trash can. And we have 7 people that live here.

- I am fine with having a dining area included in the kitchen. We are incredibly casual.

- I'm fine with the current wall between the kitchen and diningroom coming down. The window in the diningroom, only looks at the neighbors house. Not a fantastic view.

- I'm okay changing the slider into something else. The slider is cumbersome and I'm sure you can just imagine the amount of little kid fingerprints that cover it.

Comments (16)